Advice for Posters

Discussion in 'General Postloop Discussion' started by Guardian, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I hope you handled the user appropriately. As an owner, you are able to recoup those points. You can delete the posts, and also revoke the user.

Intensity likes this.
  2. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

I do not want to delete the posts as I don't want to get into trouble from Postloop for doing it. But I have revoked his subscription.

3. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

As long as you don't abuse the privilege of deleting posts, you will not get in trouble. We allow forum owners to do this on a limited basis.

4. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Isn't there a bug that doesn't return the points to you when you remove posts?

5. timestandstill

timestandstill Forum & Blog Owners

You have to do a post recount in your forum's admin panel for it to take effect. In IPBoard, go to the admin panel and click "Recount and Rebuild" in the sidebar, then click "Rebuild User Post Counts"

Mikey likes this.
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Updated. Added a 5 & 6.

7. save27

save27 Member

I got rated one time and I had only 11 posts. I don't believe that is fair.

8. Trombones13

Trombones13 Forum & Blog Owners

9. Kirk Gandril

Kirk Gandril New Member

This thread is very useful indeed to a new user like me. Thanks.

Mikey likes this.
  10. The creator

The creator New Member

I have posted 37 post but still my rating is zero though one month back it used to be around 3+ but after being incative it became zero.

11. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

12. timestandstill

timestandstill Forum & Blog Owners

I'd like to add something. Could you all please stop with the redundant replies? If five people have already said "Yes, WordPress was written in object-oriented PHP", you do not need to say that again.

Intensity, Guardian and Mikey like this.
  13. joebara

joebara New Member

Thanks this helps me alot. since im new here i know what not to do now =)

14. redpanda

redpanda New Member

Wow. I wouldn't do that. Why would people make those kinds of posts? There already is a rating system to keep people from doing that!
    They probably never read the FAQ and how it works...

15. Spangle

Spangle Member

I would add that it's better to post in forums where you know a little about the genre, rather than just posting in off topic sections, members are not stupid, and will soon wonder why you are there.

AzH likes this.
  16. AzH

AzH Forum & Blog Owners

"Necromancy is usually bad."

Mikey likes this.
  17. taixyz1991

taixyz1991 New Member

yeah I've read the instruction. My last rating is 1.8. This instruction will help me a lot to improve my rating.
    Thanks

18. Trombones13

Trombones13 Forum & Blog Owners

7. DO NOT plagiarize. Seriously, you aren't fooling anyone. A quick Google search reveals your poor attempts.

19. Jeddi

Jeddi New Member

i agree with "short reply"
    most people do this non-sense reply to get to top posters... but they don't..

20. NeonScene

NeonScene New Member

Completely agree with all points the OP made. There's nothing worse when looking for something, searching a thread and seeing "nice post" or "thanks" all the way down. That's what a lot of forums have a "thanks" or "Like" button for.....to reduce stupid, spammy posts that help no-one.

The other point made that completely annoys the hell out of me as a poster, is when i take the time to think of what i'm going to write, type it out, correct any spelling errors, try to make it sound interesting, worthwhile and informative, only for some "*^%$&" to come allow, copy my post and paste it on another forum. Then, to add insult to injury, try to pass it off as their work. I had this done to me only yesterday. I made a hugh post, took ages to do, included quotes from other sources and gave the correct credit where it was due and links to their sites. A member at my site then came along, copied it and pasted it on their site. They never even had the decency to TRY to change any of the wording so it looked like their work. It was copied word for word, including the thread title. :( :(
    Needless to say, a few words was said and subsequently his post was removed.

All the points made by the OP are basic, forum etiquette and should be adhered to at all times and not just for Postloop.

Ryan likes this.