Blacklist

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Pete, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Over the past few days I've been lurking around at, and even posting on a few other forums on Postloop. I've ran across a number of Postloop posters and thought "oh man, that's a load of crap I hope this guy doesn't join my forum!" That, in addition to some bad experiences I've had with other people directly on Postloop made me think that some sort of a blacklist feature would be useful. If I could enter the usernames of the rotten apples and then they wouldn't be allowed to subscribe to any of my forums, that would give me piece of mind, but also it might give the Postloop administration (Ryan) an advanced clue on where future trouble might be coming from. For example, if one person adds someone to a blacklist you could chalk that up to personality clash, then if a second, and third, and fourth, etc add the same person then you might want to have a closer look at what's going on there.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

It's not a bad idea, and I see the benefit, but I don't know that it's "worth it". I don't like to add stuff unless there is significant value. Another tool like that is going to confuse more people than it would help, imo.
  3. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

I think the forum owners public comments that come with ratings already do what want sort of.
    With the exception of an official revokation in advance,
  4. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

You say that about every suggestion... ;) but I think that abusive posters is going to be a growing issue and eventually you'll come around to the idea that some more tools to help identify and deal with the abusive members is a necessity.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

I disagree that abusive posters will be a growing issue. There is no reason that it will change. We do currently give site owners the ability to handle this through revoking, but it is not in the aggressive manner that you suggest (revoking before the writer is given a chance).

Since we introduced revoking last year, only 1.3% of subscriptions end up being revoked. It's really not a big problem. Adding another tool on top of one that already exists and is used less than 1.5% of the time, is not necessary. This blacklist feature that you suggest would definitely be used less than revoking. I bet it would only be used on 0.1-0.3% of all subsriptions. Most site owners do not peruse other Postloop sites, and many that do are surely not going to pick up on Postloop writers.

I also did not say that I am saying no to any feature that encourages quality and discourages the opposite, which is what you quoted me saying. What I said is that I disagree with this particular suggestion.
  6. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Well, I didn't think abusive Postloopers was much of a problem until this past week either. Then, I started getting complaints from staff and members at my forums. Then I started going out into the field a bit more and seeing what was happening on other forums who use Postloop. Your statistics on revoking may not show the whole picture too. At least with me, I've been handing these problems on my end and revoking is pretty much a moot point by the time I've removed posts from my forums and banned people. The only thing that revoking does for me is prevent me from getting points refunded for posts I have to delete, and that's good enough reason not to use the revoke to be honest. Why use it when the only effect is a negative one?
  7. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

If you feel it is of no use, you are by no means required to use it. It is there so that you can stop the bleeding.
  8. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

I haven't been using it. ;)
  9. Ansem

If a member is completely useless, delete their posts ( which didn't contribute anyway ), wait to get points back and then delete/ban their account + revoke.
  10. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Ansem, I know that. I'm not too worried about the ones who just do crappy posts. I'm talking about the ones who go off swearing, name-calling, stalking, etc.
  11. Ansem

Trashcan the posts, still edit their postcount to 0 to get their points back.
    Ban them and then contact Ryan, show him the evidence and he'll ban the user from PL service.
  12. Mikey

Mikey Staff Staff Member

I agree with Ryan here. As Postloop Staff you do browse the Postloop forums more than a normal user, so this is probably why you're picking up on who's a Postloop writer on these various forums. You recognise the names because you see them all the time and will associate them with Postloop. Other Postloop writers may recognise other Postloopers on other forums as they'll all coincide on something like a General Forum, but a regular forum user or owner won't pick up on it. :)
  13. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Dunno about all that Mikey, IMO it's the regular forum owners and posters who Ryan should be concerned about, and that's precisely who I'm trying to help out here. A less experienced forum owner, for example, is going to be chased off from Postloop by the kind of abuse I'm seeing here, and if it gets too out of hand we might loose enough to make a big dent. In fact, you don't even know how many might have left already, neither do I because I've just this past week started seriously looking beyond the walls of my own sites.

When someone starts swearing it up at my staff and members, and starts stalking me from site to site, that's something I can handle. Not that I enjoy it any, but I've been there and done that. We do have some very experienced forum admins here too, but a good percentage of them are not. What are those people going to think when someone goes psycho on them? They're going to blame Postloop and high-tail it on out of here.

Revoking subscriptions is fine for your average lazy poster who comes in and does a bunch of one-liners to earn their points, but for your trolls, psychos and stalkers, revoking is just going to motivate them into their next course of attacks against you. I'd rather see some sort of 'Early Warning System' put in place, like a blacklist, where we can prevent someone from subscribing to our forums and act as a system to tell Ryan that something isn't quite right with someone.

I don't want to come running to Ryan every time I see something that is a bit off, that would be tedious and Ryan wouldn't be too happy with that after the third or fourth time. But, if there's something in place that once there are multiple forum owners adding the same name to a blacklist, then you know it's time to take a closer look.
  14. Ansem

Just keep complaining with every occurence, if Ryan really gets tired he'll have to find an alternative solution.
  15. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Nah, I'm not one to take the passive-aggressive approach. I think I've made my point, and if Ryan wants to take it up, or take some alternative, that's his decision now. There are other things I'd rather see done first anyway, like separate buckets for points for each individual forum you put into Postloop, and statistics per-forum instead of per-account. Overall I think Postloop works very well, I just make suggestions I think will improve it, I wouldn't want to be seen as a constant complainer.
    Ryan likes this.