Got rated twice... in a bad way.

Discussion in 'General Postloop Discussion' started by Platehead, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Platehead

Platehead New Member

A few weeks ago, I was part of a forum (I won't say which one for the sake of privacy) that was honestly pretty random, but it was a fun little community and I tried my best to make the posts as interesting as I could. As the forum began to get more active, the forum had a 'point drought' for a while, and after it came back, another active poster and I were both revoked and given a low rating (I think it was 3). I asked for examples of bad quality posts in the comments section, and didn't get a reply.

I didn't say anything here; I thought I'd just wait out the month and wait for the rating to expire. I subscribed to a couple of other forums and managed to get my average rating back up with a bunch of high 4s and a 5, but I just found out that the same forum owner came back to somehow rate me again with a score of 2.0, even though I obviously haven't posted on his forum since the 'ban'. I can understand if he was having a bad day or something and gave a few of us a bad rating and a ban the first time, but to do it again? Even if I clearly haven't made any posts since, since I haven't been allowed on the forum?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm really not sure what to do. Other forum owners, for example, the GamingForce owner, can most likely support my claim that I do take care in making my posts as good as possible (I was invited to write for their main website as well, apart from the forum, which I'm in the process of doing :D). Of course, some days I'm feeling a little rushed, but I still make sure the posts are constructive and by no means senseless.

So my question - how can I avoid something like that happening, and is there anything I can do about it?

2. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Just continue to make high quality posts, and your rating will improve.

You last posted in the particular forum that you are referring to a week ago. Re-evaluating a rating after a week is not unusual.

I also specifically asked this forum owner to re-evaluate his ratings. He was complaining about the post quality in his forums, and I told him that his ratings did not reflect that. If he felt that somebody made low quality posts in his forums, his rating should reflect that, and he should go back and adjust ratings accordingly.

If ratings change a long time after you make posts (a month...or longer) or if your rating changes in a specific forum multiple times even though you are not posting there, then something should be done. Neither is the case here.

3. Larry Lu

Larry Lu New Member

Hmmm, this has happened to me before. I got a rating of 5 in this one forum but for no reason they suddenyl revoked me and now they are off postloop and have no idea what happened. My rating also went down to a 4.5 which has made my rating under the average. Any way to fix this?

4. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

No.

5. AmazingP

AmazingP Member

In the same way that some posters could be abusive and can be posting low quality messages, so are the forum owners who can be confused and may possibly also abuse their rating privilege. Good thing that Ryan is always listening with us and can be willing to extend his help if he thinks that something is really not good. :D

By the way, I would like to know if a forum owner can still rate me after I unsubscribe from his forum.

6. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Why shouldn't he be able to rate you after you unsubscribe? If you've made more than five posts, the admin should be able to rate. Otherwise, it opens the system up for scamming on a big scale.

Ryan likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Correct ^

8. Cecil15

Cecil15 New Member

This is also my problem. I haven't joined and posted in other forums other than Smart Health Shop and GenChat123 and I keep on receiving a low rating of 3 when I know none of the two gave that rating.

Is there another way of getting in touch to them? I asked them nicely about the rating but I am not getting a reply. :(

9. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Erm, you've subscribed to ~100 forums and have received ~70 ratings.

I'm not sure why you feel that every new rating you receive should come from Smart Health Shop or GenChat123

10. Cecil15

Cecil15 New Member

It is because they are the only forum that I post to recently. I just joined in 2 forums and I haven't received a rating from them yet. I believe my last posts in other forums (aside from SHS and GenChat) was weeks ago so I am wondering why they are rating old posts.

They should at least reply to us so we can do better next time but it seems that they don't want us to improve at all 'cause they are not responding.

Anyways, we are automatically unsubscribed from a forum if the subscription status says inactive, right?

11. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

You've subscribed to 2 new forums the past couple days and made 5 posts in each.

You also subscribed and posted in 10+ forums within the past 2 weeks. Any rating you receive could just as likely be from these forums as any other. You could even receive a rating from a forum that you posted in a month ago, but the owner never got around to rating you at the time. It's dangerous to assume that you know where a rating came from simply because of where you last posted.

If it's marked Inactive, it means you either unsubscribed yourself, or you were automatically unsubscribed after not posting there in a while, yes.

12. Cecil15

Cecil15 New Member

Oh I see. Thanks for the info. :)