I Wanna` be American

Discussion in 'General Forum Discussion' started by argon_0, Mar 26, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Member

I am a poster on a Forum which I rather enjoy. Their stipulation to join is, quote...PLEASE If YOU FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE US PLEASE DON'T DISCLOSE YOUR LOCATION. I AM TRYING TO APPEAL TO A US BASED POPULATION ONLY.
    I have absolutely no problem with adhering to this but wonder how other postloopers deal with spelling and grammar on a US based forum.
    Do you spell words without the u?
    Do you shorten sentences to American speak?
    This Forum does have members from Thailand, Philippines and Argentina who unashamedly do not pretend to be American.
    Do I need to keep up my charade in favor of being American?:confused:

m0305 likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

I think you should abide by the wishes of the forum owner even if others are not.

3. argon_0

argon_0 Member

Thanks Pete. Yes I certainly do. My spell check always lights up. I write my posts in such a way as not to not show otherwise. For instance, I live in the bush but would write forest. If I do some research I google US sites. I just wondered if there are others who go to this length. Out of the Forums I post to it is one I very much enjoy so I certainly keep in line. The Forum posters are very interactive and knowledgeable.:)

m0305 and Guardian like this.
  4. Jessi

Jessi Member

It's possible the members you've seen who talk about being from Thailand, Argentina, etc, aren't actually postloopers, were there before they made the US request specifically, or are getting low ratings because they're not hiding it even. Because it was requested, then yes, I think you need to keep up the charade unfortunately. If you enjoy it anyway, then I suppose it makes it worthwhile.

5. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

I already don't join such forum as I have a feeling I'll be mistreated beforehand on my location.
    That just doesn't feel right to me.

6. I am a Postlooper, I am from Argentina, I am on the site argon_0 is talking about, I did read that piece of info before joining the site and I got a 4.60 rating from the owner. I just made sure never to disclose my location. I didn't have to pretend being American or anything. I always share tips that are known in my country (different cultures have different ways to stay healthy) and never got any complains.

I do know of some non-US citizens who frequently go on that site and that have had great ratings as well. Diversifying is great for every site.

m0305 and argon_0 like this.
  7. argon_0

argon_0 Member

Strewth mate , thanks for your piece headacheinasuitcase. Maybe I should let loose. Fair suck of the sav and be known as an Aussie and use my own lingo.
    Maybe not so keenly as this. But why not. :thumbsup:

SifuPhil likes this.
  8. m0305

m0305 New Member

First, have to warn everybody about this post. Maybe I did send it before, I do not remember.
    It’s about spelling, grammar, etc. You Have to admit, there is people from different parts of world, higher educated then we are, with better knowledge of Oxford written language, studied IF sentences for ages, “I should not have taken this issue for granted”.
    OffTopic(Shakespeare was an Englishman(in NewYork), and he was a poet, not a tutor of English language).
    OnTopic-There is difference between English written, English spoken, USA written, USA spoken. BIG difference, you know that! English, or American English is no1 language in the world, why? Do your best and try to answer to this simple question. Why?
    Because of rockn&roll? Democracy? Influence? CocaCola? MilitaryPower?Technology?Computers?WayOfLife?
    PopulationUSA- 315.091.138; percent of U.S. adults who can’t read (14%-32 million); percent of adults who read below a 5th grade level (21%); percent of high school graduates who can’t read (19%)(?) Just to compare- in Croatia there is cc 4,5 million people, less than in Milano. Lot of us can speak( and write) English. Lot of us cannot, also. (googleAnalitic01.02,2013)
    So, the point of this monolog is like in that anecdote when some proponent reporter asked Bertolt Brecht , during his exile in USA: - Why is your English so bad( though he was living in USA for three years)..Bertolt answered: Well, you have not been heard my German...