Making your profile seem real.

Discussion in 'General Forum Discussion' started by Grumpy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

When you are participating on forums at PostLoop, what do you do to make your profile at the forum seem real?

Do you add all of the additional details, such as an avatar, signature, DoB, MSN messenger etc? If not, are there any other things you do to make your profile seem more legitimate and real?

2. radascars

radascars Member

Ever since I joined Postloop I make sure to put my avatar on both in my profile and my avatar itself and also add additional details such as DOB, Location, email and the "about you" section. It makes a user real and the site owner will surely appreciate it and will give you a better rating than the average of 3~ish. I've been into postloop since June if I'm not mistaken and that what makes my rating a good one :) But to be honest its been a month or two since the last post I made in one the forums I subscribed LOL

3. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

I fill my profile, that way I look more genuine and that's my what I'm there right ?
    Paid or not, I'm there to represent ME. Not some husk making posts.
    And if you'd post on my forum:
    Is rock-on.

4. Jessi

Jessi Member

Even when I'm a real user outside of postloop, I don't generally fill out my profile on forums. ><

I do always add an avatar, though, and often a signature, just as I would elsewhere. If a forum owner specifically wants a profile filled out more, I do it, but I wouldn't do that as a "real" or natural user, so that's over and above for me.

5. argon_0

argon_0 Member

I'm not sure whether it makes much difference. Ratings are few and far between so I feel doing forum owners a favour of knowing you is of little importance. At the end of the day I am honest in my posts and try to give my best.

headacheinasuitcase likes this.
  6. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMild New Member

I actually noticed that I got better feedback and more interaction with owners when I changed an avatar to a picture of myself. I've always filled out the profile and all that jazz, but I think that having a face to connect to the posts that you see has to have somewhat of a positive effect. It doesn't hurt that I'm anal and are terrified of posting some asinine nonsense that will come back to bite me in the rear once/if I become a published author. "Oh Olivia? Yes, her book is nice! But I found some garbage she wrote online.....phew!! Atrocious!"

7. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

One of the biggest advantages of forums is that (for the most part) you are able to post under an anonymous pseudonym. While it is true that most regular members on a forum will use an image for an avatar, it isn't the norm to use a photo of yourself. I do that myself sometimes, but sometimes not. If you're concerned that something you post will have an adverse effect on your professional reputation in the future, you should most definitely be posting with an anonymous pseudonym and don't use your own photo for an avatar.

Akela, MyOCDisMild and Grumpy like this.
  8. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMild New Member

Well that's just it :) I'm particularly proud of everything I post. Otherwise I wouldn't put my name on it. I don't use my photo for all forums though because it doesn't really fit all niches. Like, if I'm part of a gaming forum, I'm more apt to use an avatar reflecting a favorite game or something. I think it depends more so on the type of forum you're posting on; that should really have the biggest factor in choosing an avatar. And you can always change it, so what the hay:p

9. toetapping

toetapping New Member

I always put an avatar in and mainly my kangaroo. Gives you a bit of an idea where I am from. Like to fill in my signature with my username and if allowed my forum url. I think it makes a forum particularly interesting to read where everyone comes from.

10. m0305

m0305 New Member

Nice post, thanks for tips.
    I have to say: I hate MSM, Yahoo messenger, Skype.. in my opinion this piece of "add-ons" are dangerous, spycreated, mindharmful..etc. So, I disable it or delete it or whatever's necessary, I cannot fill those columns.
    Yes, address, name and surname, phone number (mob), occupation, interest, hobby, those columns I fill regularly.
    That makes my profile real, yes?

11. Izagar

Izagar New Member

It doesn't matter where I post. If I like the area and I know I'll be active in the future, I at least post some information about myself, such as my age, my likes, dislikes, etc. I also add an avatar to my account and my own personal signature that I made. Sometimes I will add my Skype, but I don't really want to add a lot of people I don't know. I get extremely anxious when I do that.

12. fantanoice

fantanoice New Member

Even though I am obviously posting for points, I still try to participate in the community as best I can, as any other member would. I will upload and avatar, signature (though usually with a link to my website which understandably annoys people but it is no different to what I would do on another site), but I also make sure to read through all posts and respond to other people's individual thoughts, because it's a whole new community, you can't just post the same things again and again.

It's not a matter of 'seeming' real, it is 'being' real.