More Flexible Than Posts Per Day?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Pete, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

I'd be ok with having people do 25+ posts per day on some of the forums I've had in PL, but the problem that it creates is that people come in and do 25 posts in ten minutes and it can be counter productive. So, I have to set the Posts Per Day lower for everyone.

We could, of course, have a Posts Per Day limit per person, that would help.

Or, we could also have a more flexible Posts Per Hour. In fact, why not both. For example, I could set my Posts Per Day at 25, and my Posts Per Hour at 5, and then each member could visit my forum, do five posts, then come back later, do five more, etc... until they hit the limit.

I don't want to throw out the post-bombers totally, some of them are my most loyal quality posters.

monkeyra, yuk75 and Akela like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

It's a good idea for site owners. I question whether or not it introduces too much confusion for writers though.

3. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

You say that to all of my suggestions. The good thing is that sometimes they do end up being new features. :)

Intensity likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

With the level of confusion that already exists among writers, it's something that's at the top of my list when considering new functionality.

5. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Maybe some more transparency with the points would help with that? Or, more control over it directly between forum owner and poster?

6. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

How so?

As-is, you can give select writers bonuses. You cannot send points directly to another user. Setting user-specific limits has been suggested before, but I absolutely do not want to do that because that would be very hard for both site owners and writers to maintain/keep up with.

7. PsuedoK

PsuedoK Forum & Blog Owners

What Pete suggested seems alot more complicated than being able to give certain writers the ability to post more.

8. SSAMCD

SSAMCD New Member

I have my favorite forums that I would love to do more posts on. I also have the forums I do the limit and don't visit the site until the following day. I think if there was a message that pops up like "you have reached your minimum would you like 5 more" would be real nice. :)

9. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Eh?

It is the site owner making the decision as to how many posts you are limited to each day. You don't get to make that decision...Otherwise there would be no limit.

Intensity likes this.
  10. spg

spg New Member

Why will it be confusing to the writers? They have different post limits for each forum already, and still the same, there is no difference for them at all. The real trouble should be on postloop's side, it requires coding and some logic changes.

With different post limit for each poster, good writers will have the chance to write more. Forum owners don't have to set a lower limit just to limit certain writers.

Intensity likes this.
  11. SquidPole

SquidPole Forum & Blog Owners

In my (limited) experience so far, I've found the so-called 'good' writer's do one of two things.

The jump on, make excellent posts - then leave.
    or
    A writer with a high score posts one-line rubbish in as many forums as their daily limit will allow.

I feel it's fine as it is. I've found that giving writer's more scope to post more has only opened the gate for badly written posts or one-line comments.

12. yuk75

yuk75 Forum & Blog Owners

Just put a big red "you have x posts left for this hour, and y posts left to make today" next to the posts per day.

So it would read...

Posts per Day: 25 (5 p/h) (You have 10 posts left today, you can make 5 more this hour)

13. In my opinion there should be no limit! I believe that limiting the users it's not a good ideea. I really believe in the liberty of speaking choice.

14. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Anyone is welcome to set their own forums for unlimited posting. Go ahead and give it a try and let me know how it works out for you.

yuk75 likes this.
  15. yuk75

yuk75 Forum & Blog Owners

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa

Oh god, seriously? How much money do you think we have?!

Mikey likes this.
  16. Mikey

Mikey Staff Staff Member

To provide some context; when this thread was started forum owners had to post on others forums to get posts (I believe). Buying of points wasn't a feature, so the more posts you got on your site, the more you had to post on others sites. Now a lot of forum owners can simply just BUY the points and that gets them easy content. Unfortunately this means that forum owners would have to buy a lot of points to get a lot of posts, and so the posts per day limit was introduced.

I remember from personal experience that I'd buy 100 points which would put me at the top (or near the top) of the listings, and those points would be gone in an hour, costing me money if I wanted to add more points to get more posts, or mean owners would have to put a lot of work in on others sites to keep their balance up. Posts per day may seem limiting to writers however it's a safety measure for the forum owners to stop them running out of points straight away as well as keeping the flow of posts natural. Having 200 posts in an hour then 100 posts for the rest of the week is NOT natural and makes the use of postloop / post exchanges obvious.

Intensity, yuk75 and Clickfinity like this.