My experience at Postloop

Discussion in 'General Postloop Discussion' started by jon3138, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jon3138

jon3138 Forum & Blog Owners

Hi everyone, first time posting here. I just wanted to say, PL has been working great for my site! The only issue I am having is that people are not reading the rules. I have set rules, that users "must read" before posting, but it seems they are often ignored. I have set various announcements in my forum and people still ignored them. For example, one rule I stated on PL was that everyone should have an avatar, yet plenty of people don't have an avatar! Simple enough, right? Another was, don't start threads with only one sentence to avoid a crowded, uninviting forum, yet people continued to post one or two sentence threads.It wasn't until I sent out mass PMs to everyone that people started to listen.Now don't get me wrong, some people are amazing and followed everything to a "T". Overall I'm very happy, especially now that people are complying. The rating system is a little skewed too, on the bar used to rate, it says "3" is "average," yet if I give people a rating of 3 they freak out, even when I feel their posts are below average. They tell me, " I'm not going to get my bonus points now" and so forth... Then when I post a comment "anonymously", everyone wants to know what forum I run.. If I wanted to tell you, then I would of! I could go on, but I won't. Overall my experience at Postloop has been a good one, but I think the whole rating and rules need to be revised.
  2. jon3138

One more issue I wanted to touch on. I feel that some people really take advantage of the points system. It seems like some people just jump from one forum to the next, posting one sentence on five different threads, making little to no sense on any of them. I then in return give them a 3ish rating and again they message me saying "I've been doing a great job, change my rating, I'll lose bonus points" ... Really frustrating..
  3. jon3138

Also, "Grumpy" I don't appreciate you coming to my site and critiquing it and never posting again.. Not what I'm looking for..
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

Hi Jon.

First of all, welcome to PostLoop, I'm glad the system has been working for your forum. The ratings system is a little flawed. People will always want better ratings, but what you have to focus on as a site owner is giving the right rating. If you give the wrong ratings or unfair ratings, you will be penalized for it, and that's not fair to you. Therefore, always give fair ratings, even if you feel it might upset others.

With regards to this, if you would please leave the name of your forum in a PM to me here, I will be glad to check it out and see if I went wrong and if I could post more. Recently, I've tended to only be posting on sites with high points, that could be the reason why, although I'm unsure.

Thanks! :)
  5. jon3138

No problem Grumpy, it may of been an innocent mistake. Anyways, I have made some upgrades to my site and it looks a lot better now. When you saw the site I just started it a week ago, now it's a whole 2 weeks old ;)

I agree with what you said about rating and always try to give as accurate as possible rating. I always tell people what they can do to increase there rating and once I see they are complying I go back and raise there rating. Ryan, I want you to know an issue I've been having with this. When I go back to change a rating I can only see the person's postloop username and not their username on my forum. So when I see someone has been working hard and improving posts it makes it EXTREMELY hard to figure out who they are if they have a different username on postloop than the username on my forum.. I hope you can do something in the near future to correct this issue.
  6. Grumpy

No problem, once you send me a link, I'll be glad to check out your site again.

With regards to the re-rating issue, it's probably a bug. Leave a message for Ryan in the appropriate section to let him know.
  7. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

I mostly already substract between 1 and 2 from the rating if they can't follow basic rules, surely I'll add it up again but hey?
    They want to have me enforce a proper rating, I'll have to enforce them the rules.
    (You've got to agree, if you cannot even put on an avatar.... why would I even want you on my forum?)
    Remove those posts to get the points back and either give them a bad rating resulting their bad work or revoke them.
    Mind you, if a person is bad overall, remove all their posts, then revoke them as that'll get your points back.
    And I wouldn't consider it against the rules, I haven't had problems so far either and you don't want to waste 12 points on 200 words total of rubbish.

Keep true to your rules and just make sure that everyone who doesn't do what you want should either leave or improve.
    You're paying them, I had taken that step as well and got a few people who resented me after that, but atleast I had more points for the people who were actually doing something and not for rubbish posters, so the good ones can earn more from Postloop :)
  8. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

It's by design, but might could be tweaked to be a little more friendly.

The Ratings Given page lists the ratings that you have given per user. There is one row per Postloop user. Some Postloop site owners have multiple sites listed, as many as 15+. Some writers unsubscribe and resubscribe to a site, so they could have multiple subscriptions for a single site. With these 2 things combined, if we were to show a row for every subscription (as opposed to unique user), then that page may become unmanageable for a lot of site owners.

My advice for now would be to pull up your site info/subscriber list page and search for the user you are looking for. You can search by subscribed username there.
    Grumpy likes this.
  9. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

@Ryan, since he is a forum owner, shouldn't he get the sexy orange name and moved into the Forum/Blog owners group so he can have access to the special forum ?
  10. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Indeed. Done :cool:
  11. DevilKid

DevilKid Active Member

Edit: off topic :S
  12. jon3138

Thank you everyone for the help! So I didn't realize if I delete a users post for not following my basic rules, I get the points back? Do I have to do anything else, like report the post I deleted to Postloop or is it just a matter of deleting the post from my forum?

Edit: I reread the post and you have to revoke the user to get the points back, correct?
  13. Grumpy

No. Just delete the post, your points will be reclaimed.
  14. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

You need to delete the post BEFORE you revoke the user to get the points back.
    PsuedoK likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Also, revoking is just as good as reporting them to us. We review everybody who is revoked.
  16. jon3138

17. zeus01

zeus01 New Member

I think my question would belong on these thread so I think. Can you guys edit a rating? I got a rating from an owner of 3.2 which is ok by me really, commented on his rating on why such a low score, he gave the reason for giving such a low score and I basically agreed and did my best to improve. I got confirmation somehow that my skills improved since one forum I joined in added rep points on my account. So messaged the owner if he can rate me here just to gauge where I am. Funny thing is he was the same guy who gave me the low score. according to the message he sent me he can change it if he is allowed to.

Question is can the owners change the ratings they already gave or give 2 ratings for the same person?
  18. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Only Ryan can remove ratings, and he only removes them when the rating was in violation of stated policy. It's easy, though, all the forum owner has to do is rate you again. He doesn't need to remove the old rating, the new one replaces it. As far as I know, a forum owner can rate a poster as many times as they want, and its the most recent rating that counts. Ryan can correct me, of course, if my understanding of the mechanism of the rating process is inaccurate.
    Ryan likes this.
  19. zeus01

zeus01 New Member

Thanks for the quick response,aside from the site owners does anyone else like periodically rate members? Thou I am excited to cash out my first 100 points, I am also interested in improving my so called posting skills.
  20. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Postloop staff gives you your first rating, out of the Postloop Portal. After that, it's forum owners and blog owners who rate you when you've made five or more posts on their sites.