New Design and Promo Video

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ryan, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

The first major feature from our recent Roadmap is ready.

Postloop has a new design and introduction video. Please take a look at our homepage, where the bulk of the changes took place. There's also a new How it Works page, although that has been up for a few days for those of you who might have already noticed. Ultimately, I'm trying to make a very complicated and foreign concept as easy to understand as possible. Up until now, I've had a text and description-based approach. The new homepage, video, and how it works page takes us to a more visual approach with less clutter.

Let me know what you think, or if anything doesn't quite look "right", let me know. You'll notice the account navigation changed a little bit also. There are also a few other changes that I'll let you find yourself :)

Hope you like it!

2. AmazingP

AmazingP Member

What can I say but WOW! This is great...that old look was boring and this time excitement is painted all over...I like it... congratulations to you Ryan and all your staff. :D

Ryan likes this.
  3. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

No offense but wish there was a style changer, because I'd love to have the old one back for the dashboard :p
    Rest of the site looks dandy though.

4. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

It will grow on you. It did for me. I've been using it for a while and didn't like it at first but do now. That's often the case with big switches like that.

5. dojo

dojo Forum & Blog Owners

WAY BETTER. Love the new design. Professional, modern, clean. Excellent work :)

Ryan likes this.
  6. DevilKid

DevilKid Active Member

I love the new design!!! The video is great and explains the purpose well. The new dashboard is great but I don't get what the delete button is for - to delete the alerts? or to make them read?

The ratings received page still needs to be worked on - its still quite confusing working out which ratings are active and which aren't (my suggestion topic).

All it all, well done!

Ryan likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

That will delete them completely. Alerts work very differently now. Previously, whenever you received an alert, you would get the yellow message at the top of every page saying "You have new alerts...". The 5 most recent alerts would also display on your Dashboard. The only way to get rid of the yellow message was to click the link in the message to view the alerts. This was a bit clunky. Too much yellow all over the place and too annoying to have to go view that alerts page to mark them "Read".

Here's how it works now:

Any unread alerts are colored yellow on your dashboard and are immediately marked read once you view your dashboard. They will remain in the alerts list on your dashboard unless you click the red X to delete them. You can either delete individual alerts or all of them at once. If you're browsing a page other than your dashboard and receive an alert, you'll get the old yellow "You have new alerts" message at the top of the page. This time the link takes you to your dashboard though, and not the Alerts page. The dashboard will only show the most recent 10 alerts. If you have more than 10 unread alerts, you'll never see any past the most recent 10. Ever.

If anybody has better ideas for handling this, let me know.

That's towards the top of my list.

DevilKid likes this.
  8. DevilKid

DevilKid Active Member

The delete button (for some reason) doesn't work. I have tried deleting a alert which says blablabla has been enabled. I have clicked enable about 4-5 times now and its still there..

Ryan likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

What browser are you using? Try doing CTRL + F5 if you haven't already.

I tested it in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE8, and IE9

You're trying to delete a single alert, not all of them, correct?

10. DevilKid

DevilKid Active Member

I'm using Chrome on XP. I just did CTRL + F5 and tried again but it is still there. I am only trying to delete one alert - the latest one.

It has a link attached to it.. /alerts/ajax_delete/385463

11. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Fixed.

DevilKid likes this.
  12. Mikey

Mikey Staff Staff Member

if I click Delete All, does it delete every single alert I ever had?

13. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Yes.

Although, we only keep alerts from the last 2-3 weeks anyways...Any alerts older than that have been getting purged out already.

Mikey likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Go check your ratings received page :thumbsup:

If the tooltip when you hover over a check is really long, do CTRL + F5 to refresh. I didn't want to force another CSS refresh on everybody.

DevilKid likes this.
  15. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

This is fantastic! I love all the new changes. Did all of this require a lot of changes in the code? That may seem like an odd question, but I am interested in this type of field, and was wondering what all would have to be changed in the code to upgrade a site such as this?

16. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

That's all relative. That's like asking a mechanic how long it takes to replace an engine. For the mechanic, it'd be a breeze. For somebody like me, it'd take days, and when I finished, the car wouldn't even work :p

Mikey likes this.
  17. DevilKid

DevilKid Active Member

It looks great!!! The hover box I see just says the ratings expiring information. It makes it really easy to identify active ratings :D. Thanks! :D

Ryan likes this.
  18. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

Just one thing, can we get the "total posts exchanged" stat added back somewhere on the Homepage?

That was interesting to look at once or twice a day to see how busy posters had been. :p

19. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

I'll think about adding it to the homepage. I'm not sure whether or not I want it there, but I did put it on the About page. Last paragraph, second sentence.

20. Trombones13

Trombones13 Forum & Blog Owners

Looks great, Ryan--well done! :)