Points for posts disappeared

Discussion in 'Existing Users, Questions & Support' started by omkar1991, May 18, 2012.

1. omkar1991

omkar1991 New Member

I made two posts on TipTrainer.com earlier today, and I got credited for those two posts. My subscriptions tab also showed me "2 of 5" for the forum.

After I checked right now, those points have disappeared, and the daily limit is showing "0 of 5" as well. The posts are still there on the forum though.

Any idea why this might have happened?

2. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

2 of your posts were deleted.

3. omkar1991

omkar1991 New Member

I see. I wonder why that would happen though, because all my posts were good ones. In fact, I got a perfect 5 rating from the owner just yesterday. I guess he must have been cleaning up the forum a bit after he revamped it.

Anyway, thanks for the response. :)

4. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Perhaps the owner decided to delete a thread in which you had posted. It wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with you specifically. You really need to ask the forum owner directly to get the specific reason why.

Grumpy and Mikey like this.
  5. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

Also, another possible reason why is that a section of the forum you'd posted in has had it's post increment counter turned off by the owner, meaning he no longer wishes posts made in that section were added to post count.

Ryan likes this.
  6. jon3138

jon3138 Forum & Blog Owners

Hey Omkar,

You are indeed a great poster at Tip Trainer, I'd say one of the best. I delete posts and/or threads for a couple of reasons.

I've been finding copied material from other sites. I know your posts (Omkar) are always original content, but a lot of people start threads with copied material. I use Postloop because I want original content, not duplicate. If I find a thread with copied material, I delete the entire thread. I try to catch them as soon as possible, yet sometimes one will site for a day and already have comments. If you comment on a thread with duplicate content your post may have been deleted. I apologize, but it is hurting my SEO rankings.

Another issue I've been having is when people post " Oh, thank you for the tip. This is a great one and I will use it soon." or "I never thought about this before, thank you for this tip" You have no idea I've read this... I don't mind if you comment on other peoples threads, but show me that you've actually read and make an effort in your post. I'm looking for quality, not quantity.. A lot of people are just reading a sentence of the thread and then posting, which isn't what I'm looking for. There shouldn't be any 1-2 sentence posts on Tip Trainer.

That being said, I don't remember why I deleted you posts. I read every post on the site and if I deleted it there was a legitimate cause. I tried to message everyone whose posts I delete. I apologize if I missed you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

omkar1991 and PsuedoK like this.
  7. PsuedoK

PsuedoK Forum & Blog Owners

Off topic Jon,

What method do you use to find duplicate content?

8. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Jon, when you find someone doing copy and paste posting, let Ryan know the specifics please. That's something he's putting a real effort into rooting out from Postloop, and if someone's doing that on your forum chances are they're doing it on others too.

If I suspect something is copied, I take a snippet out of the post and google it.

9. jon3138

If a user posts a long, 300+ word thread, I will take a random sentence out and copy it into google with quotes around it. For example "There will come a time when you feel that you've run out of ideas to write the blog the article for your blog or website" If I get an exact match I will read it to make sure it's a duplicate. I know there are programs out there but I do it manually

10. jon3138

I will. If the user didn't read the rules to my site I usually warn them and delete the content. If it happens twice I will revoke them and tell Ryan.

11. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Copied content does not typically end well for the writer...

12. omkar1991

omkar1991 New Member

I figured that was the most probable cause. Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for the compliment too! :)