Postloop Roadmap, What's to Come

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

I very rarely keep the Postloop community informed on my future plans for Postloop. This is primarily because I rarely know very far in advance what is to come for Postloop. Generally speaking, I brainstorm improvements or take in suggestions from our users, add it to a list, and do it "when I get to it". I have a number of items that are coming down the pipe at Postloop, and I thought that you would appreciate knowing what is coming yourself.

Aside from the first item, New Design, these are in no particular order.

• New design - Complete
      • This is what is currently under development and the "next big thing" that you will see at Postloop. It will not be a significant change by any means, but it will be noticeable. Most of the changes will be done to the homepage. Our current homepage feels very cluttered, unprofessional, and hard to follow for newcomers. The new homepage will be much cleaner, easier to follow, and will also contain a introduction video for writers. The video is under production right now by another company and is the last piece that we are waiting on before releasing the new design. It is hard to gauge when all of this will be ready, as we are currently waiting for the video which is out of our control. If I had to guess, the design and video will be ready within the next 2-4 weeks.
    • Phase two of user profiles
      • 1.5 months ago, I gave our users the ability to set up a profile to tell us a little more about them and what they are interested in. The plan is to give site owners the ability to fine tune their writer pool by only targeting writers who fit into the audience that they are targeting. This second phase requires significant planning and development and is still in process.
    • Track points earned from Referral's purchases on charts
      • You are currently able to chart your referral activity here. You can chart the number of clicks your referral link receives, the number of referrals who register under you, and the number of points that you receive from those referrals. That number of points only includes points earned by referrals who are contributing content. It does not include points earned by referrals who purchase points, however, you do receive points from referrals who complete purchases. I intend to add this amount to the chart as well.
    • Add page for each site listed at Postloop for discussion amongst the owner and writers
    • Automatically approve deposits from our established site owners - Complete
    • Infraction System
      • This one is not exciting and not fun to talk about, I know. There is a strong need to better organize, streamline, and manage rule violations at Postloop. It is currently a very manual process with little visibility and history for both Postloop staff and Postloop members. I plan to implement a system for infractions of varying levels of severity and suspension periods. The process currently involves me manually tracking who breaks what rules and how often. If somebody is a repeat offender, they receive a permanent ban. I hate to apply permanent bans unless absolutely necessary and would rather use temporary suspensions. A new infraction system would allow for that.
    • Statistics enhancements for site owners
      • I have plans to add some more details and better breakdown of statistics for our site owners. For site owners with multiple sites, I'd like to provide the ability to break down post receive/money spent on a per site basis. I would also like to provide more insight into the number of writers who are participating at each site. Lastly, I would like to provide these numbers in a table or raw text format for those who like to look at numbers or wish to export them for their own analysis.
    • Add global statistics and charts
      • I would like to give our members a way to see how the overall Postloop world is doing. I'd like "top 10 writers", "most active site", "highest rated writers", etc.
    • Provide indicator for writers to see which of their ratings received are currently "active" - Complete
      • Ratings expire. It's not always easy to look at your ratings received and figure out which are being included in the calculation and which are not. I plan to add a visual queue to the ratings received page to show you exactly which of your ratings are currently being factored into your personal average.
    • Allow users to send any points from referrals to their reserved balance as opposed to primary balance
    • Add email notification when referral is received
    • Integrate primary postloop.com accounts with Postloop Support Forum accounts
    • Notify site owners when points are running low, before they run out
    • Potential feature regarding "moderating duty, design work, odd jobs, article writing, etc."
      • Read more about this and provide feedback on it here
    Do not be surprised if more features are added which are not in this list. This is by no means a complete list, and the development at Postloop is very fluid.

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please let me hear them!

2. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

These sound great. Looking forward to them. Excellent work in always improving the place.

Ravinder Kumar verma likes this.
  3. argon_0

argon_0 Member

Fantastic. Sounds like a huge job to get all that in place. Looking forward to some of the changes mentioned.

4. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

Can't complain how it is now, won't complain after that either.

5. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Forum & Blog Owners

Wow, Ryan! Thank you so much for sharing. I definitely love Road Maps. I love watching them no matter what software or site they're for. The last road map I watched was for phpBB.

6. Ansem

They're finally planning on adding ajax/javascript :D ?

7. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

We've always had some, we'll just be adding more.

8. Ansem

I meant phpBB

9. wjack2010

wjack2010 Member

Look's good to me :)

10. SniperElit

SniperElit New Member

Good to see you have plans for this site. However I hope there won't be a lot of "useless" design patches. I mean who was angry about the new Facebook designs. Searching for buttons, learning the new functions...
    But these ideas are brilliant! :thumbsup:

11. antonov

antonov New Member

New payment system woul'd be great. For withdrews like alertpay.

12. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

Already been suggested multiple times, and denied. For now, the only available withdrawal method will be through PayPal.

13. fluffybunny

fluffybunny Forum & Blog Owners

I think one strong thing which would bring me back and be really helpful for others is having a credit card system outside of Paypal. Paypal doesn't work for some countries, and some people cannot make payments if they're limited. And yes, you are NOT able to make credit card payments as a guest via the credit card you have linked to the limited account.

14. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy New Member

I'll activate my site(s) again once I can target writers. Tired of people from India signing up on a College Football forum, making an introduction stating they are from India and then have not a clue about the topic of the forum. I feel like these people should not exist under a limit of 4.5 star rating.

15. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Forum & Blog Owners

Man I can't wait for Add global statistics and charts! It's quite an interesting feature. I'd love to see the top Postloopers. Lol I probably won't be in the top 10 though. It'd be nice to know though.

16. Mikey

Mikey Staff Staff Member

You can rate and revoke those posters, and report them to Postloop if you feel they're not contributing good enough quality.

17. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Forum & Blog Owners

great ideas/changes so far :)

18. SpeakWhatsReal

SpeakWhatsReal New Member

Great work Ryan, keep it up! ;)

19. jh1997sa

jh1997sa New Member

Sounds like a big job, but it will definitely be worth it in the end.

Great job so far on the site!

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPA New Member

I'm not a fan of "phase two of user profiles" because it sounds like writers would only be targeted for very narrow and specific categories of forums, like the way people are screened out of surveys and disqualified.

For example, I'm interested in anime, video games and science fiction. If I wrote that in a user profile, I would qualify to subscribe to those types of forums. But what about the mom and home decorating forums? I'm also a mom and like to cook and decorate my house, but it sounds like I would be screened out of those if writers were chosen/qualified based on their profile.

I get that people lie and join forums they're not interested in, which is unethical and stupid. But what about people like me that genuinely have a variety of interests and fall into several categories? Won't I be limited to anime forums because forums targeting moms who cook will dismiss me based on a profile?