Ratings Now Expire

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ryan, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

By popular demand, we now allow ratings to "expire" at Postloop after 30 days. Your User Rating is a reflection of the quality of the posts that you make a Postloop. It is given to you by forum owners. The higher your rating, the more that forum owners appreciate the posts that you make. You are rewarded the higher your rating is, and you can read more on all of that here.

Ratings are important to Postloop and important to its users. Every now and then you will get a low rating that you might not deserve. Up until this point, you would be stuck with that rating forever.

---------------------
    We have now changed the system so that your official user rating is:

1) The average of all ratings that you have received over the past 30 days, if you have received at least 3 ratings during that time period.

otherwise, it is:

2) The average of the last 10 ratings that you have received, regardless of when they were received
    ---------------------

This will allow you to recover from bad ratings that you receive. It will also better reflect a user's post quality here and now as opposed to what their quality might have been 6 months ago. If you did make high quality posts 6 months ago but your quality has diminished since then, so will your user rating! This change will harm people in this scenario, and my response to that is, improve the quality of your posts :)

One other important note, with the introduction of The Postloop Portal, I have officially removed the "you must receive 3 ratings before having an account rating" rule. The reason that the rule was originally put in place was because we noticed many forum owners simply giving out inaccurate ratings and for somebody who starts with no rating, a single inaccurate rating can really throw the system for a loop. Now that we (Postloop) are giving all users their very first rating, this problem is not as large. We may or may not reinstate that rule in the future, but for the time being, it is gone. You only need to be rated once to receive your account rating. You also no longer need 3 ratings to withdraw $$$. One rating is sufficient.

I know it seems like a lot of changes in such a short amount of time, and it is...but it's all in the interest of making Postloop run as smoothly as possible to benefit both forum owners and posters. We will constantly adjust the system as we see opportunities for improvement. Who knows, if this new "ratings will expire" rule does not work for the best, we may just remove it! We're blazing a trail here...The first to ever run such a system, and we'll continue to learn as we do.
    amuriarte, Nick, Mikey and 3 others like this.
  2. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Forum & Blog Owners

Yes! Thank you so much Ryan. You are the man.
    DarkGizmo and Ryan like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

You're one of the lucky ones, big rating jump for you :)
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

Do the expired ratings stay on the account and be visible to others? Or do they just "disappear"?
  5. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

They remain visible but are not factored into your average.
  6. Ramesh

Ramesh New Member

can you make me clear on a thing... whatever rating we get will expire in 30 days or only the ratings from unsubscribed or disabled forums will expire?
  7. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

All ratings expire - the status of the forum or subscription does not matter
  8. Ramesh

Ramesh New Member

thanks for the reply.
  9. moneyfreak

moneyfreak New Member

I love to hear this! This will help me out. ;)
  10. zZJoennZz

zZJoennZz Member

This is a great news with the users has a great ratings! nice news.
  11. Fil Randolf Galvez

Fil Randolf Galvez New Member

This is wonderful!
  12. sunshine2011

sunshine2011 New Member

You ar e lucky!I am a person of new type here,thanks for you information,i learn a lot from it.
  13. Chance Peters

Chance Peters Forum & Blog Owners

Great news, I have a 4.65 rating right now but that should go up after my first PL rating of 3.5 goes away.
  14. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Your rating of 3.5 should have already gone away. Your ratings will always display for history, but only those from the last 30 days/last 10 ratings will be used to calculate your current average rating.
    Chance Peters likes this.
  15. Chance Peters

Chance Peters Forum & Blog Owners

Alright, well 4.65 is still decent. :p Thanks for adding the feature. It's definitely needed.
  16. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Member

Very good Ryan! Thanks for this. :) Really helps a lot. :) Some forum owners are somewhat nazi when it comes to giving ratings and will give you a poor rating without giving any real reason as to why they gave you that rating.
    gothtini likes this.