Reactivate upon point transfer

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by karoshio, Mar 30, 2012.

1. karoshio

karoshio Member

So,

I was thinking a great and convenient feature would be below the settings for adding points every 24 hours is a setting you can turn on or off and if it's on it has a list of your forums with radio buttons and you can select the forums you want to automatically reactive when points are transferred.

I had 20 points move across each day but sometimes I would forget and not realize they had already been deactivated and postloop would be off for half a day or more and this would fix it perfectly and allow people to only use the amount of points they want per day and have it keep going without having to worry about it.

I look forward to your thoughts.
    Pete likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

This is a good idea. The "move X points per day" feature is somewhat pointless without it.
  3. karoshio

karoshio Member

The "move X points per day is perfect when you transfer enough to never get deactivate but if you can't afford as much and just want 20-30 a day like me it's a bit more difficult.
  4. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

I would think the whole point of the 'move x points per day' would be exactly that, for someone who only wants to "spend" x points per day, then have it shut off and turned on the next day for the next round of x points.
    karoshio likes this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

I considered this when adding the automatic transfers but decided against it because I was afraid that the main site listing would explode at 12:00am every day, and then by the end of the day, it would be a ghost town because of the sites that were disabled, waiting for re-enable at the same time. This is not only damaging to the listings, but it's not fair to writers who may not be available at 12:00am server time when all of these sites go online, and then by the time they are available, the sites are gone.

By forcing site owners to enable their sites manually, it distributes the listings evenly and prevents this problem.

What you are requesting is similar to a "global posting limit", which was discussed here and denied.
  6. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Why would they all have to come online at 12:00am? Surely you're clever enough to find a way to stagger the re-activations throughout the day, or even just let the owners themselves set what time they come back online. If it were me, for example, I'd want mine to come back online during prime-time USA hours, not prime-time Philippines hours. ;)
    Mikey likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Because then we get into time zone issues, which has also been discussed in the past, and I don't want to go there...yet. That is a possibility though.
    Mikey likes this.
  8. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Have I overestimated your coding prowess? :rolling:
    Ryan likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Timezones are complicated. A developer's nightmare :confused:
    Mikey likes this.
  10. karoshio

karoshio Member

I understand where you're coming from but realistically it would be the owner of the forums choice and if they want it to be like that.

There's always a ton of forums with points so I don't feel any writers would be complaining and it would be a great addition for admins if they want it like that.

Maybe you could go a step further and have the move points be able to be set at a certain time and then add in the reactive. That way different people would have completely different random times and that would solve what you are worried about occurring on the writers end.

The time can just be a set US time or whatever and it can state that there and if people from other countries like me(Aus) would just have to adjust accordingly.
  11. Pete

Pete Staff Staff Member

Well, you could always just force everyone to use the same time zone, say Eastern USA Time... that would work for me. lol Or even GMT.
  12. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

There's already a shortage of interesting forum for the majority of posters, so your argument is quite shallow.
    I honestly don't really see your problem.
    To get what you want, just manually disable your website and enable it again but you have to keep an eye on it yourself.
    An automated process just wouldn't be morally fair.
  13. karoshio

karoshio Member

The point is efficiency. You can load up your reserve and let it run nicely without worrying about forgetting or something comes up and you can't get to it but your forums can continue to flow, etc
  14. Mikey

Mikey Staff Staff Member

That still leads back to Ryan's 12am Site Listings exploding issue. All sites would get thier allocated moved points automatically at whatever time Ryan globally sets. Which isn't really too great, no matter if it's prime time US, or prime time Phillipines, or prime time Australia. Someone will always lose out.
  15. karoshio

karoshio Member

I also mentioned the option to set a time yourself in that and just that no matter where you are it works with a set time zone :p