Something I've been wondering about for a while...

Discussion in 'General Postloop Discussion' started by Scribbler, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

This is something that I've always wondered about PostLoop. Whenever you are on the main page of Post Loop the "tool bar" for lack of better word has the options of "Home / how it works / forums / blogs / support / my dashboard / logout".
    But, when I click to go to support it gets rid of the "my dashboard & log out" links. I was just wondering if there was any real reason for this or not? I think it may be useful to have at least the "my dashboard" link visible, so you can jump from the support forum to your dashboard.

2. argon_0

argon_0 Member

I agree with you Scribbler. You need to go to home and then back to the dashboard. I think the dashboard is where I would prefer to land back on.

3. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

The Dashboard link is not visible in the forums because that would involve integrating postloop.com accounts with the support forum accounts. It's something that we have not yet done.

4. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

You can save the session on the homepage, can't you do it on the forum as well seperate to the forum account ?

5. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

It's not that easy, otherwise I would have done it already.

6. Ansem

Ansem Forum & Blog Owners

But not [​IMG]

7. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

Okay, thank you everyone for your responses. I will continue to do what I've been doing, and clicking home then back to the Dashboard. :)

8. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

Dashboard link is a universal link. (www.postloop.com/users/dashboard). So it should be very easy to do that...

9. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Only if you are logged in. That involves integrating the two areas.

10. Grumpy

If you're not logged in, you'd simply be asked to login? It doesn't require integration at all, the way I see it.

11. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Yes, but to do that, the forums must know that you are logged in and then handle the login itself. Postloop.com and the Postloop support forums utilize two completely separate databases and session variables. Trust me, it is not as easy as you think it is. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I did afterall create Postloop.com from the ground up. I know how to do this, but as you see here, my todo list is long.

12. Grumpy

Or do it in a much simpler way, and apply the "Dashboard" link to the forum universally, no matter if you're logged on or not. If you're not logged in, you'd be taken to www.postloop.com/users/dashboard, then I assume asked to login by Postloop itself?

13. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

That's the easy way out. I want to do it properly.

Mikey and DevilKid like this.