Time for a hosting upgrade?

Discussion in 'Existing Users, Questions & Support' started by Grumpy, May 14, 2012.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Forum & Blog Owners

I'm not sure if PostLoop is on a dedicated server or not yet, but if not, maybe it's time to start considering that option.

Right now the site seems very laggy to me. Some pages are taking quite a few seconds to load, and occasionally, pages aren't loading at all.

Or is there some current issues being resolved?
  2. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Postloop has been on a dedicated server since day 1. Two months ago we upgraded to an even more powerful dedicated server. The server we are on is more powerful than we need. Any sluggish page loads will be due to your connection except in the case that it is very specific pages that are slow to load. I will not claim that every page loads quickly, but I will claim that the server we use is more than enough. If it is a particular page or pages that are consistently slow, let me know and I can investigate.
  3. Grumpy

My connection seems fine, although I won't completely deny that this could be the issue, although I do doubt it.

Mainly for me it's the Forums page and the Subscriptions page that load very slowly. Now I understand a massive load of queries are taking place on both pages which could be the issue, but they are very slow... Sometimes to the point where I don't even like refreshing them and having to wait upto 10 seconds for the page to load again.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Staff Staff Member

Both of those pages, as you said, pull down an insane amount of data. The best way to speed up the forums page would be to limit the number of forums listed. Now it displays 100. Cutting that down to 50 would increase speed significantly, with an obvious downside though.

Queries could be optimized on both for sure. One of my items in our Roadmap is performance improvements...This would be included with it.
  5. Grumpy

What about a way, possibly, for all inactive/revoked subscriptions to appear on an alternative page, so as to cut down on the queries for that page?

Maybe like under your active subscriptions something like: Click here to view your inactive forum subscriptions

Something like that would probably help.
  6. PsuedoK

PsuedoK Forum & Blog Owners

I never had an issue with speed from this site. Good to know it is on a dedicated server though... $$$$
  7. omkar1991

omkar1991 New Member

It definitely doesn't take up to 10 seconds to load. Though I agree the forums and subs pages take more time to load than the other pages, it does not take more than a couple of seconds, and that is pretty much OK.
  8. Grumpy

The amount of requests the site and server is doing every 5-6 minutes would probably require a dedicated server. I don't think it'd be able to be manageable on a VPS, anyway.