5 Ways to Stay Motivated in Your Work at Home Business

Discussion in 'Business, Politics, & Debates' started by Rachel, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Rachel

Rachel Guest

Whether you're just starting out with your work at home business or you've had a home business for many years, you'll need to stay motivated if you're going to see continual success. Everyone goes through a home business slump occasionally, but it's those who stay motivated who will reach their goals. Here are five simple ways you can stay motivated in your work at home business.

1. Work from a List

Create a daily, weekly and even monthly list of things to do in your business. This sounds so simple, but yet a "to do" list is a powerful tool in helping you accomplish home business tasks. Prioritize your list each day so you can do those things that are most important first. If you have tasks that you absolutely dread, then put those tasks at the very top of the list if possible. This will give you a free mind for the remainder of the day to concentrate on the tasks you enjoy.

A list can consist of many things, from promotion steps to phone calls to make, and even a stack of papers that must be organized on your desk. Most successful business people create a list and then check off items as they are completed. This gives a sense of accomplishment throughout the day as you complete tasks.

2. Search for New Opportunities during Slow Business Times

Having a slow time in your work at home business? Don't despair. And, whatever you do, don't go apply for a job at the local fast food chain - just yet! Stay motivated by seeking out other home business opportunities that may tie into your current business.

Perhaps you offer a product or service that sells very slowly during the spring months. You could seek out related products or services that would be popular during those months to offset the other in profits. This will give you a chance to make money and enjoy multiple streams of income year round!

3. Take an Online Training Course for Better Education

Educate yourself through online training courses related to your field so you can learn how to maximize your skills and profits. There are many training courses available online today in the fields of web design, graphic design, online marketing, real estate, travel, office skills, medical, insurance, and finance.

With online training, you choose only those courses that will benefit you and your work at home business. You can usually take the courses at your own leisure from home, and will pay far less than you would for a college course.

4. Expand Marketing Avenues

Don't settle for less. Use the wisdom and experience of others who have been in business a while to expand your marketing avenues. You might consider reading after top marketers to get Internet marketing ideas. Also, there are many ways to promote your work at home business off-line.

To stay motivated, always test your efforts to see what results they bring. This is far more exciting than paying for ads and never knowing if they work or not!

5. Network with Others

Another way to stay motivated during a business slump is to network with others. Find others in related fields who can offer advice and encouragement about your business. A work at home business can be lonely at times because you never leave the house! Finding others online and off-line who do the same thing will give you an outlet for those lonely days.

Use these tips to stay motivated in your work at home business. You deserve success, so don't give up!

Luvs2sun likes this.
  2. Keep motivation up is truly a key factor to succeed, and making money is not always the top motivation to keep a home-based business running.

I have seen many people failing at this point, getting money but not the satisfaction to keep the ball rolling on.

3. Rachel

Rachel Guest

thank you for taking the time to read...and replying...

4. Aidan Kerslake

Aidan Kerslake New Member

One of the best tips I can give is; make your workspace different to the rest of your home. Whether you use a spare room, bedroom or whatever, it's good to not associate the work with your homelife. If you live with other people, tell them not to talk to you 'during business hours' just like a real job. It really does help you keep on track. For me at least.

I must apologise if I'm not making much sense, I've pulled an all-nighter.. so my brain isn't working like it should.

Luvs2sun likes this.
  5. zurie_cyrena

zurie_cyrena Guest

Thank you for you tips!

6. Hideki

Hideki Guest

These things sure are really helpful. I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for sharing rachel! :)
    for me, an inspiration helps up motivation too.

7. Emily

Emily New Member

Thanks for sharing with us, these are very valuable tips not just useful for those who are working from home, but also can apply to those who own an offline business. I have a question to ask, I would love to take same online training course, where can I get the information from? Are they available worldwide?

8. Good points!
    I had written a Blog Post that could go hand in hand and tie up with your post. It relates to Real Estate, but it can also apply to other self employment businesses.
    "The Top 5 Reasons Why Real Estate Investors Fail" - it could also be called "The top 5 Reasons Why Entrepreneurs/Self Starters Fail:"

1. Time Management
    Dedicate allotted time each day to learn and implement.

2. Fear of Failure
    Like in any new business, there is fear of failure, rejection and making mistakes.

3. Fear to Implement
    “Paralysis of Analysis” – too much information, but no action.

4. Perseverance

5. Invest in Education
    Read study - the online business environment especially is ever changing. You have to keep ahead.

9. Abbey12

Abbey12 Guest

One thing I can add is treat your work at home the same way you treat your work in the office. For instance, I set hours when I work. During those hours, I do not schedule non-work appointments, i.e. doctor's appointments or to run errands. I also, get dressed. Ok, I don't wear a business suit but I do not stay in my pajamas the whole day either. For me, there is almost a psychological switch that goes on once I get dressed and ready for work. I also set boundaries with my family. They know that when I work from home, they need to respect that by limiting the noise level and talking to me when only absolutely necessary (and losing a sock is not considered an emergency). :)

10. sunnyskiessd

sunnyskiessd Guest

I like changing where I am working. If I am getting bored working at my desktop, I can take my laptop and go into another room or possibly outside. Depending on what I am doing, I like to change my surroundings.

11. 4mybabies

4mybabies Guest

Thanks Rachel for the tips. I really needed the "to do" reminder and the encouragement.

12. xmagepurx

xmagepurx Guest

Thanks for the motivation. What I do is browse the Internet for different things during slow business. I attempt to learn how to make all sorts of cool gadgets from websites like instructables.com

13. shimmer8

shimmer8 Guest

Thanks for the tips. My biggest motivation for working from home is imagining my son's disappointment when I am unable to attend a school function due to my brick and mortar job. That happened a lot to me when I was a kid, and I always swore that I would be there for my kids. So, I am looking to replace all of my jobs with a few work at home gigs.

14. socialbookstatus

socialbookstatus New Member

All of these tips are great advice. The one about continue to train is essential.

15. Pat

Pat New Member

I agree all of the tips are great. Training is very important, things change so fast you need to stay on top of all changes in your industry. Another great tip to remember is to treat yourself when you have reached your goals.

socialbookstatus likes this.
  16. Luvs2sun

Luvs2sun New Member

Thanks for all that great info! (from each of you) A lot of people don't realize the motivation and dedication required to be sucessful in either having a home business, or in working from home. It's vital to differentiate your work time/work space from your personal time/space. It's also vital to make it a point to get out of the house each day, don't become a recluse. Get out for a walk, or go to the mall, anything to keep from spending too much time at home.

17. Rose @ Walnut Acre

Rose @ Walnut Acre New Member

This is a great list of tips. Working from a list is very helpful. I find having a schedule and sticking to it as closely as possible is also very helpful. It keeps me from having to constantly make decisions about what I should focus on next because that decision has been made ahead of time. I agree that networking and looking for new opportunities are very important as well.

18. danilo capundan

danilo capundan New Member

Thanks for that great advice and motivation.
    Im sure it will help alot on me and to others here viewing and reading your post.

Nice job mam Rachel.

19. Brittany Truskosky

Brittany Truskosky New Member

I have been looking for some good work at home. No luck yet. I really want to stay at home. I am about to have a baby and would like to be able to stay home with him. Anybody have any idea's of a good place to start?