Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Illustrator

Discussion in 'Web Development, Programming & Graphics' started by Casiox, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Casiox

Casiox New Member

Well, I am a graphics designer but I personally like using Photoshop way more than Illustrator, I got better management with Photoshop, however, I was thinking about starting to use Illustrator for logos and big sized images or vectors, what do you think about these two programs, which one do you like the most?

2. MrMashFace

MrMashFace New Member

Sorry for being so late to this thread and sorry my reply might not be too in-depth as I my only experience with either program was limited when I worked/intern'ed as an editor. It honestly depends on the kind of job for me; if I am going to want to work on something that will be printed out as a banner or something else large I will usually use Illustrator because vector images don't pixel tear like raster images on Photoshop does, and if I am going to completely rework an image for a website and it isn't too big scale I prefer Photoshop heavily because there isn't as much control in Illustrator over your image as there is in Photoshop. The reason Photoshop isn't preferred sometimes is because it uses bitmap imaging, but that is also the only reason people would pick Photoshop over Illustrator as well because the bitmap graphics is what gives you complete control of every pixel in the image rather than Illustrators' vector images that don't necessarily have pixels to control. So, it seems like a really dumb answer, but it honestly depends on the job and the specific use for the finished work.

3. hoover.dam22

hoover.dam22 New Member

I believe Illustrator is more used by people to edit images, while photoshop is used a bit more for design. You commonly hear of illustrator being used by people like wedding photographers, wheras a graphic designer might opt to use Photoshop. I use Photoshop because I find it easier.

4. ArtsyViolinist

ArtsyViolinist New Member

Freelance designer here!

If I'm doing anything for print, I always do processing in Illustrator. Photoshop to me is more of an image manipulation/digital painting program. If I create a logo using vectors in Illustrator, I know that I can always size it up and down infinitely without losing image quality. I also find that Illustrator handles text in an easier and more intuitive way than Photoshop, but that could be because I was trained on Illustrator first.

You can't, however, beat Photoshop for it's image editing capabilities. Need something desaturated? Boom, three keys in Photoshop and you're done. Need something cropped? You can't crop in Illustrator, but it takes all of 15 seconds to do in Photoshop. I oftentimes have both programs open and ready to use and will do whatever needs to be done to my graphic in Photoshop before moving everything into Illustrator for layout and typeface setting.

5. Tonya Anthony

Tonya Anthony New Member

I have an assocaite's in web designs and graphic design. And I freelance from time to time, just locally mainly to friends and family in my comunity. However, I use both Adobe applications when I am designing. I use the Photoshop application for it's editing capabilities, such as the contrast , maybe adding a filter etc. I do not like using it to draw logos or vectors. I feel like I don't have as much control with it like I do Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator is easy to use and great for logos and vectors, the images are crisp and clear when finshed and just an over all better look as whole when doing a logo.

6. AwesomeMix

AwesomeMix New Member

Illustrator takes some getting used to. I'm more familiarized with Photoshop.

7. Linds

Linds New Member

Really it depends what I need I guess, I learned Photoshop first but once I started testing out Illustrator I got into that too. Illustrator is definitely the go to for anything Print really, so quality never becomes an issue. But I love the breadth of stuff you can do in Photoshop, it has so many little applications, I use it so much when just digital drawing, or making graphics for animations, or games!

8. grafficalmuse

grafficalmuse New Member

I'm so excited to be able to speak to other graphic designers on here. I'm self taught through many years of trial and error. I started using paint shop pro in 2003 having no clue how to use it or what to do. I finally upgraded to Adobe products. Now I am a proud subscriber to the creative cloud suite, which is affordable since my husband is a college professor.

I work with both Photoshop and Illustrator due to the different capabilities of both programs. I feel like Adobe Illustrator has more power to easily and quickly manipulate stock graphics, there is certainly a learning curve when one is used to solely using Photoshop for graphic design and decides to incorporate Illustrator. I'm still learning about Illustrator, but I feel confident enough to start a logo or other design in Illustrator and transfer it to Photoshop to do some touch ups if my client does not require the finished product in vector format. There is still a great deal I need to learn.

Both Photoshop and Illustrator are powerful pieces of software, and I love using them interchangeably for almost anything.

I do prefer using Photoshop for creating prints and scrapbooking goodies for my blog since the majority of my readers are non-designers. This way my finished product will instantly format to JPEG or PDF. I understand Illustrator has the same capabilities, but I'm a little more proficient in Photoshop. However, if I find a stock image in Vector format, I'm able to tweak the colors and textures with a click of the mouse in one shot, which saves me a lot of time, and I just transfer the EPS (or other vector file format) to PNG format, and finish my work in Photoshop.

Does anyone else do this?

9. AngusG

AngusG New Member

Photoshop is great for manipulating photos, and digital drawing and painting, but Illustrator is much better for graphic work like logo and template design. The difference is mostly in how vectors can be used, while Photoshop has the ability to use vectors for all kinds of things, Illustrator is capable of much more with less work, making it the choice for most people who do graphic design work regularly.

10. KCxiPost

KCxiPost New Member

Like most people have stated it really depends on the project. For things like logos and designs that are clean and simple, Illustrator is the way to go because it's oriented towards producing high quality vector graphics. For everything else I would say Photoshop has the upper hand. Perhaps it's just because I have more experience with Photoshop, but I believe I could do everything except vector work just as well or better in Photoshop. There are many diverse tools in Photoshop which make it the go-to for pretty much all your image manipulation needs.

11. carly.oldridge

carly.oldridge New Member

Illustrator is used primarily to create vector art. The size can be altered without distorting pixels. Photoshop uses raster art, which does not allow for size alteration without pixel distortion. Both programs can and are used in design, it just depends on what you are trying to create.

12. nyiguto56

nyiguto56 Member

Truly it depends what I require I figure, I learned Photoshop first yet once I began trying out Illustrator I got into that as well. Illustrator is certainly the go to for anything Print truly, so quality never turns into an issue. Be that as it may, I adore the expansiveness of stuff you can do in Photoshop, it has such a variety of little applications, I utilize it so much when simply computerized drawing, or making illustrations for livelinesss, or recreations!

13. ac44

ac44 New Member

I think you got it wrong in the first place, Photoshop and Illustrator are two different applications created by adobe. Photoshop is a raster software while Illustrator is vector based, so the difference between them is huge and you need them both as a graphic designer, it will be fair if you compare Illustrator and Coreldraw instead, since both are vector based.

Personally i use Photoshop for photo- editing/ manipulation and export my work to illustrator which is better in terms of written words, logos or any other vector base job, finish up and send to my client in the preferred format.

Hoover.dam22, your statement is wrong, is the other way round, illustrator can never be used as a photo-editing software, that's the job of Photoshop.

Finally, if you really want to get into graphic design, get the two applications, know them, coreldraw can be used in place of illustrator but a lot of designers prefer illustrator more, they call it "the industry standard".

Hope this helps, hit me with any other question for further clarification.

Thanks.

14. vinchie09

vinchie09 New Member

I'm a newbie Graphic artist, and i used adobe photoshop 3,5 and 6. lastly i remember i had a client, he want to vexel his photo, and he want to get my finish product that day. i said go to other who know how to create you want in a bit of time, if you we're me, why should you do to my client? are you doing his want in a bit of time? for a cheap price? for a friendly price rather? and if i have a client again and all there want is also my past client what should i do? help, Thanks in advance.

15. Decypher7

Decypher7 New Member

You're complicating the two softwares, because they're different, one for each specific functionality, though they can be interchanged, but it boils down on preference and work spec. but as a graphic designer you can't do without knowing the two applications, because you will be dealing with vectors(Illustrator) and manipulations/editing(Photoshop).
    So you see, you can't compare the both, because they have different functionality, although not really different, because a good Photoshop expert like me (*winks ) can design vector based works on Photoshop, except the client wants it in AI format, because i really love Photoshop.
    But as a graphic designer you really need to get handy with both, because they are some works that may require you make use of Adobe Illustrator, it won't be really good to hear that someone who calls himself a graphic designer can't make use of AI. So you need to learn both.

16. Louiegie

Louiegie New Member

Illustrator is best for clean, graphical illustrations while Photoshop is better for photo based illustrations. Illustrator would be my recommendation for clean, graphical illustrations. Whereas I would recommend Photoshop for photo based illustrations that require very thorough detail and photo manipulation. For many cases, most illustrators would use a mixture of both, it all depends on what type of illustration you're creating. :)

17. Leiru

Leiru New Member

I'm really sorry, but when I saw this post I just read the title as "cats vs dogs", It's not even right to compare the two of them for they have very different purposes. Photoshop is a raster based image editor, which is useful mainly for digital images and photographic touch-ups or manipulations. On the other hand Illustrator is a vector based graphic editor, vectors are basically mathemathical equations that represent a path, so they don't lose resolution when being scaled up or down, this makes it perfect for print. And that's it, two different products for two different functions.

18. Pastor Albano Jr

Pastor Albano Jr New Member

On my experience:
    Photoshop is pixel based. Meaning you are usually using it on photos on which you are adding more visual effects. Examples are event ads, campaign etc.

Illustrator on the other hand is vector based. You will notice that when you zoom on those graphics the edges remain smooth unlike pictures that become pixelated. This is ideal for creating logos because usually they use it on marketing which is typically large and they need to display it on buildings.

19. bullet0426

bullet0426 New Member

It depends what design you gonna make. Photoshop and illustrator the best software you use to make some graphic design for me , maybe Coreldraw or Indesign but i don't know how to use that software.

Photoshop more on photo editing, if you want to edit some pictures for advertising, enchance some picture or photo manipulation something like that you can use photoshop. And I used photoshop to create digital art and other sketch thing.

and for Illustrator i only used this if i want to make some vector art or logo. Other people usually used this software than photoshop.

20. rlsuarez

rlsuarez New Member

Since I'm not really that good with software though I know a little how to use Adobe Photoshop, but, I'm not that familiar with Illustrator so I did a bit research on it so I can give a good thought about this matter. Basically, Adobe Photoshop is a great program for modifying images or graphics, like photos. It's a popular choice for web graphics, photo editing and designs since those projects will stay at a fixed size and photoshop includes a lot of unique filters, special effects, and tools. For first-timers, it's a bit confusing but through watching video tutorials or having someone to teach you then you can get along with it.
    With Adobe Illustrator I found out that it is used often to create logos or anything that may need to be printed or displayed at different sizes. It gives better print output since it's not resolution dependent. But, it can't be used easily to modify images that are already created, since there are limited filters and image editing tools available.
    So, for me, since I don't really need a logo or something more advanced images I'd go for Adobe Photoshop 'cause I'm more comfortable with it and it helps me a lot making my pictures more lively and beautiful.

21. Sofia Costales

Sofia Costales New Member

Photoshop and Illustrator are two of Adobe's massively popular graphics programs. If you're working on a new project, you might have a hard time figuring out which of the two programs will work best for you, since on the surface they seem so similar. in Adobe Photoshop, is a great program for modifying already created images or graphics, like photos, and is Adobe's most popular program. Raster or bitmap graphics are created in Photoshop. These graphics can sometimes look a little jagged since raster images are made up of individual colored squares, known as pixels. Everything in Photoshop is just a series of pixels, so if you're scaling something up or down, it can lose its quality very quickly. Photoshop is a popular choice for web graphics, photo editing and designs since those projects will stay at a fixed size. Editing photos is awesome in Photoshop, because it includes a lot of unique filters, special effects and tools. Another great benefit of Photoshop is that you can have complete control of your projects, since you can edit your graphic pixel-by-pixel. then in Adobe Illustrator is an advanced vector-based software. So, unlike Photoshop's pixel-based format, it uses mathematical constructs to create vector graphics. In Illustrator, a line is composed of two dots connected by a computer algorithm, instead of just a line of pixels. Because of this, Illustrator is used often to create logos or anything that may need to be printed or displayed at different sizes. A vector graphic will never lose its quality if it's scaled up or down. Illustrator will also give you a better print output since it's not resolution dependent. A drawback of Illustrator is that it can't be used easily to modify images that are already created, since there are limited filters and image editing tools available to you. But for me, i really like using Adobe Photoshop in all of my projects. i only use Adobe Illustrator when creating logo.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 6:27 AM