Anime: Like it, or Hate it?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Xserver, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Rockythehedgehog

Rockythehedgehog New Member

I grew up watching Sailor Moon and Dragonball z, but I had no idea that this was considered anime. Eventually during my high school years my friend introduced me to One Piece and from then on I've been pretty hooked. I know at a glance anime just looks like a cartoon, but the stories are just so much deeper than most show plots. If it's a good anime it will have the viewer experience a multitude if emotions, which is what One Piece did to me. I've never cried so much, watching a show. I only felt these feelings when I watch it subbed. I've gotten good at reading subtitles and watching the action on screen. There's just a lot more feeling listening to the voice acting in its native tongue.

2. critplz

critplz New Member

I really like anime because I find that it is way better than any other time of entertainment. Recently, there has been a few quality anime that were released. For example, Prison School and Akame Ga Kill. Those 2 animes were highly rated and entertaining.

3. esareias

esareias New Member

I love watching anime, though unfortunately with how busy my schedule has been with school the last few weeks I feel that I don't really have any time to just sit down and watch a few episodes of anything. One of my first anime that I truly fell in love with would be Trigun. I love the main character (Vash the Stampede) so much, and I think that Johnny Yong Bosch nailed the voice for his character. I will say though, that as I have gotten older I have strayed a bit from anime and have really taken a liking to the manga of the series I used to watch (Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Naruto, One Piece to name a few). I think that anime is a wonderful medium for people to at least try, and there are so many different series out there that I am sure people will find something they enjoy.

4. SomberScarlet

SomberScarlet New Member

I personally love Anime, although I haven't seen all that much of it due to my parents not liking it. When I moved out, I started watching One Piece, Seraph of the End, and the Dragon Ball series, but now that my boyfriend and I broke up I am living with my parents again. I'm over 18 and still can't watch a show without them telling me they don't like it and that I shouldn't watch the show because they don't approve.

5. kandislking

kandislking New Member

I love anime ,its very interesting to see the different types of anime out there. like some are very gory and gruesome but then some are very cute and childlike. it all depends on what you like and if your really going to get into it. I watch a couple different anime series at once just to keep myself busy its nice to enjoy something so much that you can literally watch it all day.

6. Goldielocks&3bears

Goldielocks&3bears New Member

Anime is an art form, and like all art forms, it has to be done well for me to enjoy it. Hence the types of anime movies that I have found of quality were done by Isao Takahata, Hayao Miyazaki, and Mikato Shinkai. Each of these film-makers have poked at the essence of one's soul and what it means to be a child, and/or understand compassion. Television shows that I felt succeeded in this endeavor were: Full Metal Alchemist, Madoka Magika, Blue Exorcist, Princess Jellyfish, Ouran High School Host Club, and Gurren Lagaan, just to name a few. Furthermore I encourage individuals who may be new to the anime scene, to simply google a fair number of titles, view them, then make an assessment as to whether or not they like it. Anime is not for everyone but it is for me.

7. Lokieda

Lokieda New Member

I enjoy watching tons and tons of anime, my personal favorite anime series is Cowboy Bebop. I am drawn to anime as they are one of the few medias that can find a balance between comedy, drama, and mature overtones while not being limited to a specific world or universe. This allows anime as a media to explore thousands upon thousands of stories that are never exactly the same. The reason that I love anime is that one show can't be compared to another. The moment you watch the finale of a series that you have become so attached to, you feel so lost. Unlike other media like sitcoms, cartoons, and drama TV you can find a new show almost instantly. When viewing a new show any time after the ending of a series you can't help but get upset and start comparing the two shows, but with anime, the worlds and stories are so diverse that there is no possible way to compare the new show to the one you just finished. This makes it so whenever I watch a new show it becomes a whole new experience that is un-comparable.

8. Goldielocks&3bears

Goldielocks&3bears New Member

Anime is an art form, and like all art forms, it has to be done well for me to enjoy it. Hence the types of anime movies that I have found of quality were done by Isao Takahata, Hayao Miyazaki, and Mikato Shinkai. Each of these film-makers have poked at the essence the soul and what it means to be a child fueled by compassion. Television shows that I felt succeeded in this endeavor were: Full Metal Alchemist, Madoka Magika, Blue Exorcist, Princess Jellyfish, Ouran High School Host Club, and Gurren Lagaan, just to name a few. In essence I encourage individuals who may be new to the anime scene, to simply google a fair number of titles, view them, then make an assessment as to whether or not they like it. Anime is not for everyone but it is for me.

9. EddieTheMannis

EddieTheMannis New Member

In my opinion I enjoy anime shows like Naruto or Sword Art Online but can not handle the animes that concentrate on the very dedicated fan base in which the producers write the shows around a certain character, making them a"waifu". The other shows like Full Metal Alchemist in which the characters are wrote in a way that relates to the people watching the anime/reading the manga, the really good plot doesn't hurt either.

In conclusion I like anime that doesn't cater to small fan bases, with a good plot and great, relatable characters.

10. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers New Member

I have heard a lot about anime but have never actually tried it. I know that many people who do actively watch it are assaulted with words such as weaboo although I've never understood why. You don't see people who watch sports or other t.v. shows get called hateful names for doing so but yet anytime someone admits to watching anime, they often are called a weaboo. In my opinion, people should be able to watch what they want without being discriminated or hated for doing so.

11. WorkBull

WorkBull New Member

I love anime, but I'm very particular about which shows I watch. I'm not interested in anything involving harems but love slice of life and psychological anime. It's nice to lose yourself in a good anime after a long, stressful day.

12. Octavian Catusanu

Octavian Catusanu New Member

Well I watched a few, which I loved: InuYasha, Hellsing, Naruto, but for the most part you could say I dislike them. I don't know why, I even started watching Full Metal Alchemist but after the first 10 episodes I got bored. I noticed there's a lot of hype around One Punch Man recently, I might check it out. I'll let you now how it worked out in the end :D

13. FestiveAhead

FestiveAhead New Member

Anime is a little to confusing and odd for me. I like cartoons and all, but the style of animation is near the same for every show. It feels like there is no diversity between the style for each show. This causes a confusion for me at least, of not knowing what you are watching until like 15 minutes in. Another issue for me is the language difference. Even with English sub-titles, I still have a difficult time differentiating sadness from joy, sarcasm from seriousness. I hope you catch my drift.

14. Leonardo Menchaca

Leonardo Menchaca New Member

I actually used to completely love anime and watch 24/7. After some time though i started to get a lot of work from school and had to stop watching it. I haven't watched it anymore to this day. So yeah I'm sort of in between really.

15. TryHard

TryHard New Member

I enjoy anime mostly because the art style is something you can get in real life adaptations. Even if you could it would cost millions of dollars o replicate those effects. The visuals in anime fight scenes are not something you van get much of anywhere else in my opinion.

That's what makes it special to me, and is why I enjoy anime as much as I do.

16. joshiam72

joshiam72 New Member

I do love it as a medium; I love the character designs, the way the worlds are drawn, the way imaginations can come to life. However many animes squander opportunities to become something truly great. I don't blame the medium for this, as many good animes exist that I'll love forever (Monster, Miyasaki films, Studio Ghibli films, etc). I think there are many good modern anime out there too, but I am not informed enough or do I have enough time to search out for these.

17. nik23

nik23 New Member

I do not like anime for many reasons such as you can not understand what the characters are saying half the time
    another reason is these creators make the female characters breast's way to big .

not a lot of people know this but anime has also been known to seizures which results in putting people
    in the hospital this is caused because of the flashing in these lame cartoons such as sailor moon,pokemon
    Inuyasha and others .

plus they make it seem okay for girls to dress up in in little plaid skirts and cover their mouths with
    their hands which by the way is just annoying.

18. MasterFarquan

MasterFarquan New Member

Anime is amazing. Anime can categorize from sports to drama, all the way even into space battles. Some anime are straight up weird however and struggle to capture the attention of people like me. Despite this, most anime is comedic, action filled, and more engaging to watch than most T.V shows/dramas based on reality.

19. curcism

curcism New Member

For me I like it, although some people say its childish, I don't really mind because it's entertaining and also if you can appreciate the work and effort that was given to it, you as a person would most definitely love it, specially ift he art was done right.

20. monstecarlo

monstecarlo New Member

In my opinion, Anime should be considered a form of art. It is a way of representing the real world through the drawings and the eyes of the artist, it also provides knowledge and different philosophies that come from Japan and that are portrayed in the animations. It is absolutely helpful when you want to learn another language, in this case Japanese.

21. KittenMittens

KittenMittens New Member

I want to like anime, I've seen quite a few different shows, but I just never get attached to the characters or care about the plots for some reason. I'm trying to watch Kill la Kill right now and so far I like it, maybe it can spark my interest in the genre.

22. curcism

curcism New Member

There're various genres that can spark your interest, and to do that it must be somewhat relatable if not just a little will do. It must be an anime that will make you come up with your own understanding to the story and Kill la Kill is not the kind of story because the story and animation is somewhat extravagant. Maybe go search for an Anime that is a little mellow and simple, maybe that could interest and start your appetite for the craft.

23. Elli Li

Elli Li New Member

I really wanted to answer love it, but I'll go with like it - it's the closest answer to mine.
    Just like everyone, I have favorite genres in which I focus more or spend more time watching and searching for good anime to watch, but I consider myself an open person when it cames to categories.
    I absolutely love action, fantasy, adventure and fiction, but I'm also someone who is into Sports, Shounen-ai and Inverted Harem. There is even those nights I like to relax and watch a more aggressive show, like Gangsta or Black Lagoon. This coming from a person who watched Love Live! and liked it, I think I can level up my "like"!

24. Nadežda

Nadežda New Member

I would also write I LIKE IT, not love it. At the moment I am watching Stein's Gate, and I have to say it's the first one that interested me. We'll see if it makes me love Anime, but for now I'm only amazed by the graphics :)

25. Damon Mata

Damon Mata New Member

Anime can be both good and bad. I don't really watch it, but I do have a few series that I have watched from beginning to end. To be honest, I'm just not into the childish nature of most of the character. Example being, when their heads inflate and they get that red cross on the forehead. Maybe it's not the characters themselves, but how they are being portrayed. I just don't like that chibi childish attitude/animation, however you want to put it. The shows I enjoy are very serious/mature with very few to to no examples of what I am mentioning. So with the vast amounts of anime out their and the small selection that i enjoy, I'd have to lean towards, I dislike it.

26. Akwazy

Akwazy New Member

I love anime. I've always preferred it over regular tv shows Its basically cartoons with Japanese characters which is pretty creative. In anime the graphics, drawings and everything is fantastic! I don't get why some people think anime is immature boring or childish. Some animes can be horrible but mostly all of them are good.

27. Daaric

Daaric New Member

I am a huge anime enthusiast. I started watching anime as a kid, but got really into it when I was in High School. In particular, One Piece is my favorite anime of all time.

Unfortunately, I've tried to get many of my friends into anime as well, but am almost always unsuccessful. Hopefully someday I will be able to bring aboard a friend who will love anime as much as I do.

28. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki New Member

I have never really hitched my cart to the Anime band wagon. I have had to endure a lot of series as my brother is in love with shows like Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist. I would rather stick to Tom and Jerry if I want to watch cartoons. I don't hate Anime, but I don't love it either.

29. caltabanera

caltabanera New Member

I love gore ones.

30. Illaoi

Illaoi New Member

I am a fan of anime in general. I think it is like any other entertainment medium. There is a huge selection of it that covers a vast amount of topics and genres. If you are a fan of the typical anime aesthetic then you can probably find an anime for you. On the other end, if anime just doesn't have a good feel for you then you are better off watching more traditional movies or reading books.