Any good historical biographies?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Delta37, May 28, 2019.

1. Delta37

Delta37 New Member

I'd like to hear any recommendations about historical biographies. I didn't use to read this genre at all, but I found it when I read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. I have to say the movie was pretty disappointing when compared to the book. So far, I've mostly read books related to World War II, for example "The Girls of Atomic City" and "Code Name: Lise", but I'd definitely also be interested in books related to a completely different era.

2. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

Try "The Savior Generals" by Victor Davis Hanson. It lists down famous generals who were responsible for bringing victory at during a time of darkness. These generals were responsible for bringing victory and keeping freedom alive. Hanson paints a picture of how these great warriors were in the right place and the right time to stop tyranny. It is a good read.

3. Delta37

Delta37 New Member

Thank you for your recommendation. I searched for "The Savior Generals" online, and it seems like an interesting book. I find it especially interesting that the first war happened 2500 years ago, and the last one is very recent. Apart from the World War II books, I've always read biographies that were about one person or were set in a specific era. It will be interesting to see how one author covers such different time periods.

4. enew

enew New Member

I enjoy the work of Alison Weir. She mainly writes about the Tudor era. She has both legitimate Historical biographies and lighter Historical Fiction where she takes more liberties with the facts. I personally find both enjoyable.

5. Rinkukrksth

Rinkukrksth Member

I write historical biography about Deb Moves. She young adult novels and nonfiction, and children' books and editor and photographer. Born in California, she has lived most of her adult life in Massachusetts,working all manner of day jobs ton support the writing habit.

6. Lhits

Lhits Member

We've rounded up some of the best biographies of all time, .... This is history on a grand scale — a book about politics and war and social

7. im4joey

im4joey New Member

I love to read the struggles of people, what they did/how they rise/what they become? ... and inspire people to do something greater.

1. Abraham Lincoln- the biography.
    2. my experiments with truth.
    3.George Washington- Life, farewell address.

8. StephWhis

StephWhis Member

I'm honestly not a big fan of historical biographies myself, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if I found the right one. If anyone really has some good recommendations, let me know. I'd definitely love to see what's out there. Maybe there's something I'm missing that'd I'd actually like.