Anyone do martial arts to keep fit here?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 314gitech, May 18, 2015.

1. 314gitech

314gitech New Member

I used to be really into doing taekwondoe but ever since I left that particular gym I've kind of fallen of in my training. I mostly just lift weights and do stretches now, but have been getting into mma and grappling.

Any thoughts on brazilian ju-jitsu as a good pick up to fill my martial arts craving?

2. inkkink

inkkink New Member

I think adding BJJ is a great idea to your exercise regime. If you are strength training I would make sure you are still relying on technique rather than brute strength in BJJ. I train and exercise so I try to use my workouts to compliment my ground game. Nothing can replace actually grappling but unfortunately my BJJ gym isn't open 24 hours.

3. 314gitech

314gitech New Member

I would love a 24 hour bjj gym. It'd be so cool to just go in at 2 am and still have someone to roll with.

4. JGwei

JGwei New Member

BJJ is obviously huge in the martial arts world right now, and with good reason. It's like Darwinian evolution out there, only the strong survive. I don't mean that in a person to person sense, but with the different various martial arts around. BJJ is popular because it works, it combines the best elements of many others, and its standardized. It's not a gimmick in any way but being popular. I'd definitely recommend it. I had an intro to it at a local gym and that ground game just devastates people. Against another grappling pro it works, and against strikers it demolishes.

5. arkanalokhtar

arkanalokhtar New Member

I think it depends on what you like. If you are coming from Tae Kwon Do, grappling will probably feel weird and exhausting to you at the beginning. But if you like it, then fine, just go for it :)
    I personally don't like it so much. True, it shreds in the octagon, so it's definitely going to be a staple if you are serious about MMA. But in real life situations, I am not sure what it's actually worth. If two guys try to mug you on the street, grappling with one leaves you completely open to the second one, who will likely kick you in the spine or in the head. If I could only train one fighting style, I'd rather train a striking style for that reason.
    In any case, you should go to your local gym for a free trial session before you commit.

6. The Blacksmith

The Blacksmith New Member

I also come from a Tae Kwon Do background. It's a great base for a start in mma. I also went to bjj later on. It's definitely worth your time and money to learn. Don't stop there though. There are a lot of traditional arts out there that can expand your understanding of what your body is capable of.
    I eventually landed on Ninjutsu. It's by far my favorite martial art. It is NOT meant for competition. There is a little bit of everything mixed in including Jiujutsu, aikido, Karate, Kungfu, Chinese and Japanese weaponry, Parkour and a lot of dirty tricks. It's brutally effective if utilized properly.

7. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

I practice karate and combat aikido. Karate provides me the techniques for striking while aikido helps me with the use of throwing techniques and joint lock manipulation against an attacker. I plan to take other fighting styles in the future.

8. Zendraw

Zendraw New Member

I don't see martial arts as a way to get fit. You can achieve that effect by doing some aerobics and dances.

9. mibridina2001

mibridina2001 Member

Muay thai is one martial art that can make you fit because it uses both your hands for punching and your legs for kicking. A couple rounds of sparring and you can feel like you're running out of breath. It's really nice to get involve with this martial art, because it can not only make you fit, but also it can protect you anywhere you go.