Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged - Was she a brilliant visionary?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Sarah T, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Sarah T

Sarah T New Member

For anyone who has read Atlas Shrugged in it's entirety, first off - Bravo to you! I have personally read this tome three times, and openly admit that each time I got to "the speech" I lasted about 15 pages in and then skimmed.
    I enjoy and agree with the premise of the book, and yet, with this last reading I needed to ask myself whether Ms. Rand was truly the visionary that so many believe, or was she just talk? It is no secret that in her own life she had to swallow a very difficult pill when she succumbed to lung cancer (being a 2 pack a day smoker) and required medical care and, afterwards, social assistance (see here) - essentially becoming one of the people that she so desperately despised.
    I welcome your thoughts on this prolific writer, and am looking forward to some intelligent discussions on the age old question, "Who is John Galt?"

2. maryd

maryd New Member

Her soap-opera life aside. Literary-wise, I don't think so. The dystopia of scary government was written better by Zamyatin, Orwell and Huxley. Philosophy-wise, she didn't seem to be an original either. For someone who claimed to exalt reason, she certainly did her best to appeal emotionally to people.