Being Penniless

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Challenges' started by iceejay, Apr 21, 2019.

?

Freelance or Office Job

1. Freelance

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Office Job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both (in a perfect world)

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. iceejay

iceejay New Member

It's hard to think of something to write about with an empty stomach. It gets even worse when the brain starts to go numb. Mere cravings for sweets or salty treats become a thing of the past.

Mixing a regular office job with freelancing on the side does not seem plausible either. There just isn’t enough time or the energy after all the stress of commuting and traffic to and from work.

Being forced into this situation after getting laid off, and not having saved enough for such contingencies adds to the burden and might send someone spiraling down into depression and lethargy.

Starting out as a freelance writer is not a walk in the park apparently.

1 person likes this.
  2. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. When my mother died, I didn't have any money and I was out of a job. I did online work but it was barely enough to make ends meet. It got to the point where I was losing weight. Right now things are better and I have a job but it pays low so I want to restart my online gig to increase my income.

1 person likes this.
  3. cesstravels09

cesstravels09 New Member

Yes, reality bites. It's quite difficult when you have nothing to spend, or shall I say, when you're used to having money and spending for something you like need. It takes a lot of courage, skills and talent to be a freelancer. No matter how much we want to spend time with our family and work through the comfort of our own home, it just won't satisfy the needs. Let's accept the fact that office job offers more benefits than being a freelancer. There's government benefits or loans that we can take advantage of (for future financial security) - there's health cards for emergency needs..and a lot more. Office job gives us sense of security that we will be having our salary every other week or at every 15th and end of the month. On the other hand, you can have both. If you have any other skills aside from the job description you have at work, you can do the freelance job during your day offs or free time. You can be a white collar job office worker but a freelance Photographer or Designer or etc.

4. Being penniless has been such a curse and a blessing. It gives you a feeling of helplessness that you can't seem to support your own needs. A blessing because it makes you do and exert efforts to strive harder be more frugal learn how to save up for rainy days to come.

5. evequicho

evequicho Member

Since what I am doing right now is both. I am currently a public secondary school teacher in our community, and also I am starting with my freelancing job as online writer as part-timer. So far so good, I still have time since it's vacation. Although, I need to managed my schedule before the first day of class begins. Find time...make time.