best way to control your eating

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dillon, Jun 16, 2013.

1. dillon

dillon New Member

eat only enough to kill the hunger and find a hobby to get your mind off of it, also try eating the same food everyday and night your mind may get tired of it and it may take less to fill you up after and over time

2. Tiffani Moore

Tiffani Moore New Member

I have had experience with many different types of diets and exercise routines. The only thing that has worked for controlling my appetite in the past has been the Keto diet.

This diet is incredibly helpful for curbing your appetite, because it helps manage your blood sugar levels. Also, there is evidence to suggest that protein and fiber-filled veggies (which are the two main components of this diet) will keep the body feeling full and more satisfied than simple carbohydrates.

You don't have to take my word for it, but I have lost about 4o pounds on this diet with cheat days and minimal exercise.

3. pbjellycows

pbjellycows New Member

To control your appetite, you can try a meal replacement shake. I've recently started on this diet and it has definitely assisted in controlling my weight. I mix the shake with a banana and milk for breakfast. The meal plan proposes that you enjoy a light fruit snack with the shake for both breakfast and lunch. You also get two small snack meals during the day and a full dinner. I've found that my appetite has decreased and my daily food intake consists of my real replacement shake for breakfast, a light and small salad for lunch, and then a small dinner. For dinner, I use a smaller bowl and I usually measure out 1 cup of rice, lots of vegetables, and only 3-4 slices of beef or chicken. If you are experiencing cravings in the first week, I suggest eating a handful of nuts or enjoying some vegetables such as carrots and celery. Eat when you feel hungry and only eat in a small quantity. Start slow and don't starve yourself. Gradually decrease your intake. And of course, the most important factor of all is to exercise!

4. naveeda

naveeda New Member

I eat usually legumes and drink soya milk, which help control my eating. I do not get hungry a lot. Vegetables, yogurt and fruits are my regular diet, which help maintain my weight and control my appetite. My cravings last 14 minutes. So I usually eat some almonds and drink soya milk or pepper mint tea to get rid of cravings. I brush my teeth with soda and lemon rind, which make me feel better and then I do not like to eat much. I see myself in a mirror to advise myself to stay away from obesity.

5. Zachary

Zachary New Member

The best way to control eating is to eat foods high in protein for breakfast. It can improve metabolism and stop cravings if you make it a habit of eating breakfast that is high in protein.

6. chef jerry

chef jerry New Member

HEALTHY LIVING AND EATING
    HEALTHY EATING
    The key to healthy eating is the time-tested advice of balance, variety and moderation. In short, that means eating a wide variety of foods without getting too many calories or too much of any one nutrient. These 10 tips can help you follow that advice while still enjoying the foods you eat.
    1. Eat a variety of nutrient-rich foods. You need more than 40 different nutrients for good health, and no single food supplies them all. Your daily food selection should include bread and other whole-grain products; fruits; vegetables; dairy products; and meat, poultry, fish and other protein foods. How much you should eat depends on your calorie needs. Use the Food Guide Pyramid and the Nutrition Facts panel on food labels as handy references.
    2. Enjoy plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Surveys show most Americans don't eat enough of these foods. Do you eat 6-11 servings from the bread, rice, cereal and pasta group, 3 of which should be whole grains? Do you eat 2-4 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of vegetables? If you don't enjoy some of these at first, give them another chance. Look through cookbooks for tasty ways to prepare unfamiliar foods.
    3. Maintain a healthy weight. The weight that's right for you depends on many factors including your sex, height, age and heredity. Excess body fat increases your chances for high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, some types of cancer and other illnesses. But being too thin can increase your risk for osteoporosis, menstrual irregularities and other health problems. If you're constantly losing and regaining weight, a registered dietitian can help you develop sensible eating habits for successful weight management. Regular exercise is also important to maintaining a healthy weight.
    4. Eat moderate portions. If you keep portion sizes reasonable, it's easier to eat the foods you want and stay healthy. Did you know the recommended serving of cooked meat is 3 ounces, similar in size to a deck of playing cards? A medium piece of fruit is 1 serving and a cup of pasta equals 2 servings. A pint of ice cream contains 4 servings.
    5. Eat regular meals. Skipping meals can lead to out-of-control hunger, often resulting in overeating. When you're very hungry, it's also tempting to forget about good nutrition. Snacking between meals can help curb hunger, but don't eat so much that your snack becomes an entire meal.
    6. Reduce, don't eliminate certain foods. Most people eat for pleasure as well as nutrition. If your favorite foods are high in fat, salt or sugar, the key is moderating how much of these foods you eat and how often you eat them.
    Identify major sources of these ingredients in your diet and make changes, if necessary. Adults who eat high-fat meats or whole-milk dairy products at every meal are probably eating too much fat. Use the Nutrition Facts panel on the food label to help balance your choices.
    Choosing skim or low-fat dairy products and lean cuts of meat such as flank steak and beef round can reduce fat intake significantly.
    If you love fried chicken, however, you don't have to give it up. Just eat it less often. When dining out, share it with a friend, ask for a take-home bag or a smaller portion.
    7. Balance your food choices over time. Not every food has to be "perfect." When eating a food high in fat, salt or sugar, select other foods that are low in these ingredients. If you miss out on any food group one day, make up for it the next. Your food choices over several days should fit together into a healthy pattern.
    8. Know your diet pitfalls. To improve your eating habits, you first have to know what's wrong with them. Write down everything you eat for three days. Then check your list according to the rest of these tips. Do you add a lot of butter, creamy sauces or salad dressings? Rather than eliminating these foods, just cut back your portions. Are you getting enough fruits and vegetables? If not, you may be missing out on vital nutrients.
    9. Make changes gradually. Just as there are no "superfoods" or easy answers to a healthy diet, don't expect to totally revamp your eating habits overnight. Changing too much, too fast can get in the way of success. Begin to remedy excesses or deficiencies with modest changes that can add up to positive, lifelong eating habits. For instance, if you don't like the taste of skim milk, try low-fat. Eventually you may find you like skim, too.
    10. Remember, foods are not good or bad. Select foods based on your total eating patterns, not whether any individual food is "good" or "bad." Don't feel guilty if you love foods such as apple pie, potato chips, candy bars or ice cream. Eat them in moderation, and choose other foods to provide the balance and variety that are vital to good health

Susan Paduano likes this.
  7. yanbelton

yanbelton New Member

Using small service options, such as small plates or small cups helps, I think. In addition, adding filling food to your meals, like nuts, and drinking plenty of water will assist in managing appetite.

8. Dan Sutherland

Dan Sutherland New Member

In my experience (and this is an old adage) I find that not totally restricting yourself from foods that you love is one of the biggest keys to success. Allowing yourself a 'treat' every now and then will make it less likely you'll indulge in a huge junk food binge at some point. An even better tactic is to actually use the treat as a reward for some level of exercise completed.

9. qureshi adnan

qureshi adnan New Member

Eating things high in fiber and whole grains will make you feel full faster, longer and give you more energy. Try having oatmeal with the fruit and yogurt instead of cereal, trust me youll notice a difference! And than pack healthy snacks to eat through out the day, fruit, breakfast bars, mixed nuts, a slice of meat and chesse, etc. Drink water all day long as well. Im 4'8 and 90 lbs and drink 2 liters a day! Its great for your body in general, and your mind as well! So have your morning tea than water through out the day! But most importantly try not to obsess over your weight or drastically cut back your calories, this will only lead to unhealthy habits. And please try and keep in mind that everyones weight changes from 2-3 lbs daily up or down so the best way to determine your weight is how your body and mind feels and how your clothes fit you. And remeber theres no subsutitue for hard work. Good luck!

10. Annie Brown

Annie Brown New Member

Sugar is the number one culprit for making me overeat. When I cut out sugar completely from my diet, I am (without effort) able to maintain a base weight around 5 pounds lower. Stop eating sugar and other processed starches. Restrict fluid intakes to water (sparkling recommended because it is tasty) and minimal wine where necessary. Cut out processed starches and increase extra lean protein intake.

11. Mitchell Lyle

Mitchell Lyle New Member

If you cut calories correctly then you should not be hungry in the physical sense. You will be psychologically hungry, meaning you are craving food or some kind of satisfaction, but you are not physically hungry.

12. AlfonsoMiguel

AlfonsoMiguel New Member

I've always been told that drinking 1 to 2 glasses of water before meals will lessen your eating. The way this works is the water in your stomach will "fool" your mind into thinking that your already pretty full, lessening the urge to eat a lot which we all get when were hungry. Try it!

13. alisonwonderland

alisonwonderland New Member

I watched a mini television series a couple of years back called I Can Make You Thin by Paul Mckenna. It's a simple concept, food is fuel for your body not an emotional outlet. You eat until you're full but you never want to be stuffed or famished. You can find short videos with tips on Youtube or purchase his book for a reasonable price. Just to give some insight, he discusses this technique to prove your imagination is stronger than your appetite. Everyone try this with me. Imagine your favorite food, something you love to eat,for the sake of the experiment, let's say a cheeseburger. Got it? Good. Now imagine a pile of toe nail clippings on them. Now go into a barber shop and sweep up all the dirty hair on the floor and top your favorite meal off with them too. All of sudden...that cheeseburger doesn't too appetizing.

14. Jozephine

Jozephine New Member

To best way to control your eating is self-control. You have to set your mind and be responsible. If your on a diet, so be it! Do it! not just saying it.

I would like to share my own experienced and it worked. Every morning when I wake up, I brush my teeth first and drink a glass of water. I don't feel hungry at all. But of course you have to eat breakfast. You should'nt skip meals
    so for breakfast, you can just eat oatmeal with milk, just a small amount of bread and egg or just simply fruits to fill you up in the morning and don't forget to drink some juice or milk.

At lunch, you can eat salad or pasta in a decent amount that enough to fill you. and some fruits. and in between hours in the afternoon, if you feel hungry again, just eat some walnuts and raisins then water. You will get good nutrients from it then water. Water is always the best, specially if your in a hot places. Don't allow yourself to get dehydrated.

Dinner, always set your mind that no meal/eating after 6pm. Always take light meal at night and don't drink coffee after 6. If you get hungry after that just drink water and brush your teeth you don't feel hungry until your ready to bed.

Don't forget to exercise every now and then. Walking is also one of the best :) Goodluck

15. rima

rima New Member

schedule your meal times. If over eating is your problem, put the spoon down, take time to chew food and pause for a minute. Do not eat while watching tv, for you will over eat unconsciously. If snacking is the problem, get yourself busy with other things like taking a walk, chatting, or go out.

16. handy123

handy123 New Member

Keeping hydrated is important. A lot of the time if I'm feeling hungry between meals I'll have a drink of water and try to take my mind off it. Before long you'll feel better, the key is to learn when you are really hungry or when you are just dehydrated.

17. keithann

keithann Member

I find that staying active and controlling what you eat is the best way. However, if we could do that then we wouldn`t have to worry about weight gain. Metabolism plays a big part. If I eat breakfast in the morning I am far more hungry at lunch, and yet the experts say that is what you should do.

18. ash87

ash87 New Member

I'll agree with any one who has said that the Keto diet has helped them control their eating. The keto diet works by restricting carbohydrates. All dietary carbohydrates are eventually turned into glucose in the blood stream, this spikes insulin production which has a roller-coaster affect on blood sugar levels and hunger. Keto aims to replace carbohydrate calories with fat calories. Fats keep you feeling fuller for longer with out the affect on sugar levels.

19. Federico

Federico New Member

I've found that the MyFitnessPal companion app is an excellent way to keep count of your calories and make sure you don't gain any weight. You can put your daily meals into the app, and it'll tell you the caloric value of each one and compare it with the average amount of calories a person of your size burns each day. Of course, exercising is always a good thing for your weight too. I run 5 miles everyday, and even though its not too much, it helps me stay in shape.

20. Susan Paduano

Susan Paduano New Member

When you don't have variety in your meals, that is not good. And after a long period of time, it's unhealthy. Change your foods up at least twice a week or more. Eat everything in moderation. Eat clean and as close to organic as possible. Get out and exercise. You can do an exercise video or exercise games on the Nintendo Wii or X-Box Kinect.

21. angelku

angelku New Member

It's not about "good" or "bad" food. It is depends on your needs. In other words, you yourself should control your eating. Some people feeling hungry, but they are not physically hungry. Try to eat an organic and healthy food. That way you can exercise your body to eat in order.

22. danae1992

danae1992 New Member

What has helped me is to drink a lot of water, and herbal teas :)

23. Texas777

Texas777 New Member

I think the key to control your eating is to have healthy foods quickly available to you. For example, if you have fresh, ready-to-eat fruits in your kitchen or a meal replacement shake in your refrigerator, then you are more likely to grab these readily available items in a moment of hunger as opposed to going out and eating an entire meal that would contain far more calories. You would be surprised about how satiating an apple or a protein shake might be; the key is to avoid those moments where your desperately hungry and you end up taking in a large amount of calories that you do not need.

24. MiaB

MiaB New Member

“Eat to live, don't live to eat.” ― Benjamin Franklin

For me it's just boils down to self discipline. Even if you have all these whole foods and good foods available to you but you don't have self disciple you will still eat alot and the bad thing is you'll be eating alot of junk food. You must commit to yourself and change on how you look at eating, food and especially how you view your self.

25. Cathie Minter

Cathie Minter New Member

It is very healthy to drink a glass of water before meals to help curb your appetite. Listen to your body and eat until your tummy feels hungry. Do not listen to your head or you will eat and eat and eat. Take small bites and put down your fork or spoon and chew at least 10-20 chews before swallowing with a good big gulp of water. East very slowly and enjoy and concentrate on what you are eating. Do not watch TV or read or do anything else while you are eating, concentrate on keeping your mind on eating your food. When you get your meal, if you are at a restaurant ask for a to go box first thing and cut your meal in half and eat half and take the other half home for another meal or split one meal between the two of you. These are all great ways I have learned to eat better and lose weight.

26. bien_tibon

bien_tibon New Member

I easily gain weight but I simply cannot say no to food. Yes, I have no self-control when it comes to eating so what I do is to trick myself. I have learned this from my friend that whenever I am craving for sweets, I would just brush my teeth. Not knowing the science behind this, but it is working for me. Every time I get hungry and it is still not my meal time, I would drink plenty of water. My favorite trick is not to eat while watching TV because trust me, as much as you enjoy the TV show, you are also unconsciously enjoying munching more.

27. Glen Benson

Glen Benson Member

the best way to control your eating habits is to drink a lot of water. and chew a chewing gum so that you can avoid eating a lot of foods.

28. The BEST way to control eating? controlling you're eating is a hard thing its not that easy to control your eating habit if you're a food lover ! for me to control it you should have a discipline when it come to the foods that you're gonna eat its a big factor if you're gaining weight, What's the reason why most of the people want to control their eating ? maybe they gain a lot of weight . so if you can't control your eating habits it's better to watch the food you eat be a vegetarian and drink a lot of water or make your own fruit juice and make your list of foods that you're gonna eat each day. by the way if you really want to control your eating DISCIPLINE is the key word.

29. armilp

armilp New Member

Look into meal-prepping. Think of it like this, you cook a bunch of food on a Sunday. Separate them into containers, each container will be a meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) then store it in the refrigerator. When it's time to eat, grab one and eat it. In this way, you don't have to worry about cooking every day, washing dishes every day. Also, you can control what goes into each of your meals.

30. evan10593

evan10593 New Member

What has worked for me is simply eating meals that are nutrient dense, that makes me full with a much smaller serving, and I stay full so much longer. Foods that are high in protein keep you feeling full longer, and fiber helps as well.