best way to control your eating

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dillon, Jun 16, 2013.

1. elanalovallo

elanalovallo New Member

I have to say the best way I have found to control my hunger is to keep myself busy and hydrated! I find that on days when I don't have much to do, I trick myself into thinking I'm hungry, when really I'm just bored. As far as staying hydrated, there are times when I think my stomach is telling me to eat, but really it's just my body saying "I'm so thirsty, help!"

2. john113

john113 New Member

To me the best way to control eating is to eat slowly. It's been working out for me and there is actually a scientific explanation to this, but I won't go into details about it (just check this site: https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-slow-eating ) primarily because I'm not a certified nutritionist or a science major that can explain hormones, calories, etc., but what I can share is from my own experience.

The benefits of eating slowly for me are:
    1. I become more satisfied eating lesser amount of food.
    2. I notice that my digestion improved.
    3. Losing weight has never been more easier.

It wasn't easy at first because you need to be intentional when you want to change your pace while eating, but after two weeks I started to see and feel the changes in my eating pattern (e.g. from 2 servings of rice to barely one and I get satisfied eating even just small amount of food).

3. Natacia Conner

Natacia Conner New Member

This is personally a struggle for me. I try to fill myself up with water before and after eating a small portion so I can feel full. Also, using a smaller plate/bowl actually helps too. Personally looking at a large portion of food before eating makes me feel full as well. Also protein is really important for feeling fuller longer.

4. JayianRhy2829

JayianRhy2829 New Member

The best way for me to control eating is to eat regularly with a specific time frame. Hunger triggers our mind to ask for food, thus we need to eat. If this hunger are properly supplemented with right food at the right time, you will never get starvation. Starvation enables our brain to ask for more food than usual as it impose that you should eat more to survive. Don't let yourself get starve at any cost so that you will only digest the proper amount of food. I suggest also that you have to eat your food in a much longer period of time - give at least a minute chewing your food and eat healthy food that's rich in fiber. This fiber will give you a "full" stomach in just a matter of time.

Above all else, just don't starve yourself. If you want to control your eating habits, eat a lesser intake and discipline yourself.

5. P-Scarlet

P-Scarlet New Member

Drinking a lot of water indeed helps with fighting eating urges. Each time I want to grab something to eat (outside of breakfasts and dinners), I take a glass of water and see whether I still want to eat after that.

6. marsu

marsu New Member

I have changed my eating habit from 3 big meals to 6 to 7 small meals a days. I would normally eat a lot during breakfast and lessen my portions for my succeeding meals. It helps when you will not allow yourself to starve to avoid unnecessary cravings. Go for protein enriched foods like nuts, eggs, beans, lean beef, Greek yogurt etc. Staying hydrated will also help so make sure to have at least 2 liters of water a day not only it is good for your skin but it will be a big help in putting off your cravings. Keeping yourself busy to divert you attention from food will also do the trick.

7. Balatszki_07

Balatszki_07 Member

How much you should eat isn’t an exact science. Portion size is different for everybody — and it varies by age, weight, activity level and other factors.

Three ounces of protein may be just right for one person but too much for someone else. And while two ounces may be just right for you one day, five ounces may be just right the next. Some days our bodies need more — or less — of some nutrients.

So, how can you find the “right” portion size for you to be successful with weight management? These weight management tips make it easier:

1. Eat a balanced diet of grains, fruits, vegetables, protein and dairy. You’ll be more likely to eat “right” portion sizes if your meals include:

• High-fiber foods, such as whole grains. Fiber can help you feel fuller faster and longer. The opposite is true for low-fiber, high-sugar foods. Your body processes them quicker, which can cause you to feel hungrier sooner and lead you to eat more.
    • Lean protein and unsaturated fats (from vegetables, nuts and seeds, for example). When your body breaks down proteins and healthy fats, it signals your brain to feel more satisfied. The more satisfied you feel, the less you’ll overeat.
    2. Give food your full attention. Research shows that people eat more when they eat while distracted, such as when driving, working or watching TV. Instead, eat at the table. Turn off the TV, and get rid of other distractions. Take time to enjoy your food. By paying attention to what you’re eating and how full you’re getting, you’ll be less likely to eat more than you need.

3. Slow down. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain when it’s full. So, eat slower. Put your fork down between bites. Encourage conversation at the dinner table, so your mouth is preoccupied with more than just chewing.

4. Don’t restrict yourself. Restricting your portion size may only make you hungrier — or at least think you’re hungrier. Go ahead and eat just what your body needs, when it needs it. And that includes snacks. (See the next tip.)

5. Eat on a schedule. Eating meals and snacks at the same time each day can make it easier to eat healthy portions. Enjoying food at regularly spaced times helps ensure your body always has the fuel it needs. That way, you’ll never feel famished, which can push you to overindulge.

6. Don’t super-size it. Enormous portions in restaurants can skew our impression of how much food we really need. When you’re served a super-sized portion, don’t feel like you need to eat all of it. Split the meal with someone else. Or immediately ask for a take-home box so you can pack up part of the meal and just eat what’s left on your plate.

8. KMR

KMR New Member

I have to make an effort to control my eating. First, I eat a 90% whole foods diet, which is high in fiber and only rarely includes added sugar. The fiber helps me feel full, and the lack of sugar prevents cravings. Second, I make myself wait at least a few hours between meals. If I feel hungry between meal times, I assess whether I'm actually hungry or if I'm thirsty or bored or anxious. Sometimes what I really need is a glass of water. Third, I try to appreciate the sensation of a grumbling stomach. I remind myself that it is normal and natural to be hungry, and I let that motivate me to "work" longer for my food. We don't have to eat constantly. We shouldn't. Last, I try to view food as a source of nourishment rather than a source of comfort. I love to eat for the sake of eating, so I try to find the best fuel for my body or whichever combination of foods will help me operate at my best. Eating healthfully creates a good association with food, preventing it from being a guilty pleasure that I must restrict.

9. Mohamed Lachgar

Mohamed Lachgar New Member

Dietitians have developed a range of tips that help control appetite and thus control weight, including the following: Spacing between times when you eat your meals, recommend small, frequent meals, do not follow the eating method only when hungry, because this leads to eating food greedily. Do not continue to eat to the point where you can not breathe as you say, but try to stay away from hunger when you feel hungry. Many people may see this as a difficult step, but with time it becomes routine. Take care to eat breakfast and not to exceed it; because hunger to the time of the meal will increase the amount of food possible to eat at lunch, especially since the meal is the main and usually fat. Resist the temptations of food like its shape and shape, and this requires a high will in terms of moving away from the table and not to repeat the going and coming in order to monitor. Trying to identify the dishes to eat when going to the restaurant, or respond to a lunch or a certain determination, even if it is a kind of candy, for example. Do not make food a way to ventilate or alleviate the various concerns, many people resort to eat when they feel angry or nervous, advised to stay away from food and go to a warm bath, for example or watching a program you like

10. Doris Nthumbi

Doris Nthumbi New Member

Drink water at least 30 minutes before eating. When you are feeling hungry drink water first before reaching for a snack. You will realize you didn't need the snack after all. This has worked for me.

11. Hatim

Hatim New Member

The best way of eating is mindful eating. Thich Nhat Hanh has got a book about mindful eating. But because this way (at least in the initial stages) is not something everyone can do, I'm giving a list of other easier and effective methods.

1.) Chewing your food 32 times before letting it slide down your throat is a tried and tested technique that has helped many people. This works by focusing your mind on the piece of food, one piece at a time. If you are counting every time you chew, you cannot let your mind wander to distractions like TV, and you feel and savor completely whatever you're eating. This is also good because it increases the time it takes you to eat the same amount of food, and the glucose signal sent to brain arrives in time; otherwise, you'd end up overeating (if you eat fast and mindlessly). It also has digestive benefits because it is much easier to digest food that has been ground and torn to really small pieces by the teeth.

2.) Follow the 80/20 eating rule. This comes from the Japanese island of Okinawa. Most of the people there live long lives because of this rule. It is called 'Hara hachi bun me' in their language, which translates to 'eat until you are eight parts full'. This works against the delay from the stomach stretch receptors that signal satiety. If one does not practice this, it results in continuous stretching of the stomach throughout the day, which makes us eat more food in order to fuel ourselves.

3.) Identifying the basic roots of our cravings can be a beneficial and efficient way to stay healthy. Often times we think we have craving for a certain junk food, or sugar, etc., but if we study the biochemistry behind these urges, we'd find that those urges actually link to a need for certain nutrients. If we conduct some tests and pinpoint the nutritions we need in the case of every craving we have, we can solve the problem of unhealthy eating once and for all.

12. haram

haram New Member

Being a biology student, I well understand the importance of good quality balanced diet. The one most important thing, while controlling your appetite, is that your body should maintain a balanced glucose level in body. One can feel hunger pangs if glucose level is less than normal in one's body. Less glucose level also leads to craving. So if you want to follow a diet chart for controlling your hunger, you should eat a balanced amount of glucose containing food.

13. joaisa

joaisa New Member

Use the hunger scale. Before you can rein it in, you must learn to recognize tht physical cues that signal a true need of nourishment. Refuel every 4 hours. Set your watch. Moderate to full-fledged hunger, most likely to hit 4 to 5 hours after a balanced meal. waiting to long to eat can send you on an emergency hunt for energy. Eat breakfast without a fail. Stash single-serving boxes of whole grain cereal or packets of instant oatmeal and shelf-stable fat-free milk or soymilk.

14. HLC522

HLC522 New Member

The best thing I have found to control my eating is counting calories. When I was losing weight steadily it was when I was counting my calories and eating a set number per day. It didn't matter if I ate 1400 calories worth of vegetables a day or 1400 calories of candy, I would still lose weight. However, by counting calories it made me learn that certain high calorie foods do not keep you full. So I started eating more protein and keeping sugar and carbs low so I could control my hunger urges. I also started eating at the same time every day and cut snacks out. I was able to lose 25 lbs. this way and am still working on losing more.

15. Chiiron_07

Chiiron_07 New Member

The best way for me is by facing left then right and repeat for at least three times. I do that every time someone offers me food when I know I'm not that hungry. That was actually from a joke I heard long ago but I think there is some truth to it. When you know that you don't need the extra calorie, why eat it? Temptation is always around us, specially scrumptious meals that leads to overeating. In the end, it's all about discipline and self control. Be satisfied with what you already ate and know your limits, exercise, move, run. Do things that will remove your mind from thinking food and eating. With that, I will end this comment and go to my fridge to go and grab some snack. :)

16. Ren Ong

Ren Ong New Member

I think you need to have good control and motivation first to avoid eating a lot. Then drink a lot of water and work out.

17. Jay Marie

Jay Marie New Member

My eating habit is drinking a glass of water before putting anything else inside my stomach. As I have observed that I usually ate lesser that way. I suggest that if you don't want to gain weight and you are in a strict healthy diet that trick would help.

18. Raymund1980

Raymund1980 New Member

If you want to control your eating this is my tip for those who want to stop their craving for foods.First you must eat your breakfast healthy,a breakfast with a fiber and protein helps you from craving foods all day,eat your meals at scheduled times the secret to stopping cravings is to mange your hunger,only eating at set times no cheating hahaaha.Find some healthy alternatives,if you tend to craves for sweets in the afternoon,having a light yogurt or some fruits on hand.

19. EMILIO

EMILIO New Member

The best way to control your appetite are;
    1. Drink 2 glasses of water in the morning before breakfast it will make you feel full;
    2. Appetizer should be taken in reverse eat fruits first before taking the meal;
    3. Drink lots of water in between meals;and
    4. Its time to go back to your hobbies or go out and forget about snacks.

20. elhenaverdera25

elhenaverdera25 New Member

Well, the best way to control your eating is drink plenty of water before and When you stomach is full of water, it stops sending signals to your brain that it wants food. You'll feel fuller on absolutely zero calories and i will boost your metabolism. Second is get some rest. research says two hormones, leptin and ghrelin, are controlled by sleep; those hormones help control appetite. Third is chewing gum. Not only is it good to control your appetite, it's good for your mind. It improves your memory, focuses you, and studies have shown that it improves grades. Most important is eat slowly. When you eat, you should be eating, not multi-tasking. You'll be able to concentrate on your food and actually taste the flavors. And eating slowly gives time for the digestive and hormonal processes to take place and your brain time to process the chemicals sent from your stomach will satisfied.

21. elhenaverdera25

Well, the best way to control your eating is drink plenty of water before and When you stomach is full of water, it stops sending signals to your brain that it wants food. You'll feel fuller on absolutely zero calories and i will boost your metabolism. Second is get some rest. research says two hormones, leptin and ghrelin, are controlled by sleep; those hormones help control appetite. Third is chewing gum. Not only is it good to control your appetite, it's good for your mind. It improves your memory, focuses you, and studies have shown that it improves grades. Most important is eat slowly. When you eat, you should be eating, not multi-tasking. You'll be able to concentrate on your food and actually taste the flavors. And eating slowly gives time for the digestive and hormonal processes to take place and your brain time to process the chemicals sent from your stomach will satisfied.

22. elhenaverdera25

23. porkkyextra

porkkyextra Member

The best way to control your eating is to drink a lot of water. I mean A LOT. In this way, you will always feel that you're full so you wouldn't need to eat. It's also good for your body. Also, try to choose healthier food along with it.

24. GredyME

GredyME New Member

I think the best way to control your eating is to think the health problem you will get if you eat without moderate. Anything that is too much is not good for your body. Like too much eating cake, spaghetti, donuts, and drink a lot of soda is very dangerous, you can have a diabetes! Also, don't forget eating meat, chicken's skin and salty food can give you high blood pressure. These illnesses are the major health issue for some people, and these are a very traitor disease. A lot of people think inheritance is the reason of this sickness, but the truth is, it's because of too much eating and carelessness. So just by thinking of these reasons makes you motivate to control your eating habit. ;)

25. meaesteves878

meaesteves878 New Member

In order for us to control our eating we should eat at the right time with the right nutritious food. We should always add protein in our meals everyday because it will help us stop our cravings for snacks. And sometimes we feel like we are hungry and looking for something to eat but we didn't realize that maybe water is what we are looking for to fill our hunger. We should drink a lot of water 8-12 glasses a day to help us avoid eating. My tip is do something that will make you busy so that you cannot feel hunger.

26. Dusan Ilic

Dusan Ilic New Member

There are many ways to control your eating and hunger, and I will give you some useful tips.
    Tip 1: Eat slower. The slower you eat, the more time you will give your body to process food, and therefore it will fill your stomach with less food.
    Tip 2: Drink more water. The more water you drink, the less space in your stomach is going to be available for food. Drink 1L of water per 25 kg. Also take a glass of water before a meal, to fill you up.
    Tip 3: Every time when you finish your meal, and you are still hungry, wait for about 10 to 15 minutes. Your brain will process food, and at the most cases, hunger will go away.

27. antonettenablo1997

antonettenablo1997 New Member

Remember that you should be wise in choosing a food for your breakfast,lunch or in dinner. Not because of you being conscious about your body but because you love your body and you want to live longer. Discipline is the key in having a healthy body. It's okay to eat some fat food or etc but know the limitation because you might be too unconscious that it can give you diseases. The best way is to give yourself knowledge about your health to know the things that you should and shouldn't eat.

28. ItsJess

ItsJess New Member

Nutrition student chiming in here:

Portion control is going to be your best friend in a diet. Put single servings of snacks in containers or snack bags as soon as you come home from the grocery store. On top of that, put the "dangerous" foods that you are most likely to want to eat all at once in an inconvenient place, like in the cupboard above the fridge.

On top of portion control, eat volume foods to help with feeling full. Volume foods are veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and peppers, or fruits that are mostly water, like watermelon and strawberries. You can eat quite a lot of these foods and fill your stomach so you feel fuller longer.

29. anthonyferil

anthonyferil New Member

Vary your usual routine to avoid passing or seeing food store or even in the kitchen. If you know you’ll be face-to-face with irresistible different types of foods like birthday cake, allocate enough calories to fit it into your diet.

30. ejaysancha123

ejaysancha123 New Member

first,In your breakfast eat many,In your launch lessen your food,In your dinner eat lesser than you eat on launch.
    But be sure you eat healthy foods,You can take junk foods but don't eat lots of it.