best way to control your eating

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dillon, Jun 16, 2013.

1. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Focusing on the foods that maximize these 21 nutrients ensures your meals are rich in the compounds most important for your success. The foods you eat help build and fuel your brain, allowing it to make new connections and even signal the birth of new brain cells. When you feed your brain the most important nutrients with the minimal number of calories, your brain will function better and you will be your optimal weight. A healthy brain offers protection from low moods and anxiety, as well as better resilience during times of stress.

2. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Additionally, when you eat the whole healthy foods that contain these nutrients, you will avoid a number of ingredients in modern food that are horrible for your health, such as trans fats, artificial food dyes, preservatives, pesticides, and tent organic pollutants—all of which are tied to brain health problems and weight gain. One reason we are so undernourished and yet overfed is that we’re using the wrong foods as fuel.

3. luciab230

luciab230 Member

There is a lot of hyperbole in the health and wellness scene, but it is not my intention to add to that. If I seem optimistic about your health, it is for a good rea- son. Over the last fifteen years as a physician, I’ve seen a lot of people radically change their lives. When intention is aligned with a commitment to self-care, the human spirit is an unstoppable force. Transformations happen when a brain is at full power and a person is at a healthy weight. These two factors—brain power and a healthy weight—are what these recipes are designed to deliver. Eat your way to a better brain and body, and transform your health by eating complete.

4. luciab230

luciab230 Member

By eating food containing concentrations of the essential 21 nutrients, you achieve
    more than simply providing the raw ingredients needed for brain function—you also send a signal to the brain to create new cells. A number of nutrients are now known to influence a process called neurogenesis, or the birth of new brain cells. This is a relatively new concept in medicine, as for decades we believed that brain cells could not regenerate and that the adult brain slowly lost brain cells over time. Today we know that the adult brain has the capacity to grow new brain cells, and that you can enhance this process by eating the right foods. Molecules were discovered that trigger the growth of new brain cells, and they also happen to promote the health and resiliency of your existing brain cells.

5. luciab230

luciab230 Member

The most powerful is Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), a hormone made by your cells. Low levels are strongly correlated with depression, but a num- ber of nutrients in this book directly increase the expression of BDNF. While several genetic factors can influence BDNF and brain health, eating more of the nutrients that boost your levels is a great way to improve your health and decrease your risk of illness. The recipes in this book aim to maximize your intake of the nutrients known to have a positive impact on BDNF: omega-3 fats, zinc, magnesium, the flavonoid family of phytonutrients, and curcumin, found in the spice turmeric.

6. luciab230

luciab230 Member

A number of studies have replicated this result and consistently show that pop- ulations who eat the foods in this book have lower rates of depression and demen- tia, two illnesses that rob us of our human potential. The brain is both marvelous and fragile at the same time. From these population studies, we see the potential that dietary changes have in dictating brain health. It is not a coincidence that the nutrient-dense foods that form the core of Eat Complete are also the stars of the Mediterranean diet and other traditional diets: fresh vegetables, leafy greens, nuts, olive oil, seafood, and grass-fed meat and dairy.

7. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Population studies also look at how certain nutrients, such as the amount of omega-3 fats in one’s diet, correlate with the risk of certain illnesses. A number of studies show clear evidence that the B vitamins, the omega-3 fats, zinc, iron, and a number of plant-based phytonutrients are negatively correlated with the rate at which the human brain shrinks, meaning that—for example—a higher level of vitamin B12 in your blood is positively correlated with having more brain cells and more connections between cells. Studies like this make me crave a plate of pasta vongole, as clams are the top source of vitamin B12.

8. I’ve heard this story so many times. I’m very fortunate to be a life coach who also happens to be a medical doctor (with an additional degree in Dietetics), not to mention I’ve been through my own share of food struggles.

I have yet to work with a client whose food behaviors were truly out of control, despite what they might believe about themselves (and obviously I’m discussing the average person’s experience here, versus someone with a severe food disorder such as bulimia or anorexia). Yes, to these women their behaviors looked and felt like they were out of control, but there wasn’t anything “special” or uniquely pathological about the person’s relationship to food. We didn’t need to spend hours delving into their history or childhoodtraumas around food, or resorting to elaborate rituals to try to heal their relationship to it etc. My clients usually do eventually make peace with food, and no longer feel helpless about their choices, but it’s for much simpler reasons.
    I’ve found that in the vast majority of cases I have been able to help women recover a sense of joy and manageability over their eating by addressing the following key areas:

1) What are you eating for breakfast?

Most women I work with experience “problem” eating behavior (e.g. wolfing down a giant fast food meal, polishing off a tub of ice cream, eating all the chocolate bars their child was supposed to sell for charity) in the evening. Instead of spending a lot of time first trying to determine emotional reasons for their food choices, I first try to see if they are eating properly throughout the day. Most of them aren’t. And most aren’t having breakfast.

Eating a solid breakfast, ideally with some fat and protein and carbohydrates (instead of just mostly carbohydrates) will naturally curb your eating throughout the day and is associated with successful, sustained weight loss.

It also gives you the emotional and mental boost and endurance you need to cope with work andstress. As a result, it’s way less likely you’ll start grabbing unhealthy snacks because you’re either starving or stressed (or both!). One of my clients couldn’t believe the difference a proper breakfast made to her previously “crazy” eating habits.

2) What are you eating for lunch?

One of my clients who struggled with mid-afternoon and evening binging told me she usually had a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. I’m a fan of both salad and grilled chicken but there aren’t any carbohydrates or much fat (she would dip her fork in a small amount of light dressing on the side). Again, we need to eat to fuel ourselves properly. A proper mid-day meal has protein, fat and carbohydrate in it. It will keep your blood sugar up, keep you going and make you far less likely to desperately grab a chocolate bar when 3 pm hits.
    Bottom line: if you do nothing but eat salads and carrot sticks and other low-fat low-carb healthy foods all day, it’s perfectly understandable that you’ll turn into a wild woman at the sight of a fast food menu. Doesn’t mean there’s anything “wrong” with you at all.

3) Fat is your friend: do not be afraid of it

It’s very ironic: women who have dieted most of their lives (like many of my clients) have an almost phobic fear of fat, yet when they “lose control” they’ll eat all sorts of things like French fries, candy bars, ice cream, and chips without the slightest glance at the fat content stated on the label. As I’ve mentioned above, what ends up happening is that during the day while they’re trying to be “good”, they eat things like a bagel with jam (no fat, almost no protein) to get them through their day. No wonder they crave fatty, rich foods later in the evening.

Leverage healthy fats in your life, particularly in your daytime choices. Enjoy omega-3 poached eggs for breakfast (contain protein and good fats), and drizzle olive oil on your salads (and make sure you also have protein with the salad like fish or chicken, as well as a healthy carbohydrate like some whole grain bread). Snack on nuts (high protein and good fats) – do you know that research actually shows that people who eat nuts will often lose weight? It’s almost like the fat “doesn’t count” (in moderation, of course)
    Some people after years of fad dieting are also afraid of carbohydrates. Don’t be - your body needs them. Yes, you want to maximize fiber and minimize high-glycemic “white” foods, but you still need carbohydrates. Period.

4) Trust your body and learn to listen to healthy cues

Most of the women I work with disconnected from their bodies a long time ago. The ones who skip breakfast claim they don’t feel hungry, even though underneath their body must be ravenous (and at some point just gave up on trying to get them to eat). I encourage them to eat when they are hungry (not craving something because they’re bored or stressed) and to stop when they feel full. A dietitian taught me this decades ago, and it has made all the difference to my relationship with food.

5) Give yourself other options

One of my clients routinely went to a famous fast food restaurant on the way home from work, because she was starving. Initially I didn’t try to get her to stop eating out (extreme changes almost never stick), but instead asked her if there were any other places she liked which were a healthier option. She told me about a sandwich-focused chain which she also enjoyed, and discovered it wasn’t that hard at all to just go there instead. She saved literally thousands of calories in the two weeks before her next coaching session. She was one of the “no breakfast” types and eventually we got her eating real food during the day; now, she no longer needs or wants her evening fast food fix, but this worked wonders in the meantime.

6) Always eat foods that you like

As I mentioned in the last tip, I encourage clients to come up with healthier food substitutions that they personally enjoy. Food is so important to the quality of our lives. If you feel like “eating healthy” is a big sacrifice and you can’t wait until the “diet” is over, you’ll never be able to maintain lasting change and will find yourself binging on comfort foods the first chance you get. When that happens, you’ll probably beat yourself up and tell yourself you can’t do this, that you have no control over food, or whatever else you tell yourself that makes you feel hopeless.

If you resolve to start eating breakfast, make sure it’s something you love. One of my clients now loves her yogurt, fruit and nut parfait. I love my French toast made with omega-3 eggs and piled high with fresh berries. The same thing goes for snacks, other meals, and any treats you have in the evening - you need to enjoy and look forward to them if you ever want those better choices to stick.

9. adiyamanilom

adiyamanilom New Member

People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really what you need. So drink a lot of water.

10. Simple_me18

Simple_me18 Member

11 Ways to control your eating habit

1.Drinking water before meals may reduce cravings and appetite, as well as help with weight loss.
    2.Increasing protein intake may reduce cravings by up to 60% and cut the desire to snack at night by 50%.
    3.Try to distance yourself from the craving by chewing gum, going on a walk or taking a shower.
    4.Planning your meals for the day or upcoming week eliminates spontaneity and uncertainty, both of which can cause cravings.
    5.Hunger is a big reason for cravings. Avoid extreme hunger by always having a healthy snack ready.
    6.Being under stress may induce cravings, eating and weight gain, especially in women.
    7.Spinach extract delays the digestion of fat and increases the levels of hormones that can reduce appetite and cravings.
    8.Mindful eating is about learning to recognize the difference between cravings and actual hunger, helping you choose your response.
    9.Sleep deprivation may disrupt normal fluctuations in appetite hormones, leading to cravings and poor appetite control.
    10.Eating proper meals helps prevent hunger and cravings, while also ensuring that your body gets the nutrients it needs.
    11.Eating before you go to the supermarket helps reduce the risk of unwanted cravings and impulsive buying.

11. Merylin

Merylin New Member

I no longer have the patience to enter everything I eat into my weight app, but even if you only use it occasionally to check if your estimations are correct, it's a great tool. What is also important is to understand how different types of food affect your body. No person is the same and different foods might do something different to your body. I was surprised when I weighed myself two weeks and found myself at 135 (from 145 about three months before that). When I had been going by how I looked, I didn't notice the gradual changes, but family members I don't see often could tell I was working on my weight. I wouldn't mind gaining another 1-5 pounds, but I'm very happy with the gains that I've made.

If you're into weight lifting, never let yourself miss a workout because you're lazy or tired and don't feel like going to the gym. Always try to push yourself. I don't want to be comfortable while I'm at the gym, whether that's during strength training or cardio. Whenever I happen to feel comfortable during a workout, I push myself more. My favorite moments are when I leave the gym totally exhausted because I've given it everything I can. For me, there is nothing more rewarding.

12. Tanya****

Tanya**** New Member

Read a few diet and lifestyle blogs and you will soon see there are many ways to control your eating. You may need to try a few to see what works for you. For me the best way to control my eating is a really simple one. After all food should be fun and eating or not eating shouldn't cause stress. So for me the number one best way to control what I eat is to control what I put in my shopping trolley. If I don't buy it I can't eat it. This is of course sometimes easier said than done. However once there is no junk food in the cupboard there are no more hard decisions to make. Control your shopping and you control your eating.

13. eugrchrd

eugrchrd New Member

First of all, plan your meals. Don't skip them or give in to your carnal impulses. Yes, rigid meal schedule can be tiresome, but you will get used to it. Also try to limit consumption of caffeine and alcohol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  14. meekhil

meekhil New Member

Any worthy goal requires some level of planning. In this case, meal-planning definitely helps. Make sure that you have healthy food items that are easily accessible. On the other hand, remove junk foods from your surroundings so that you don't reach for them in a moment of weakness. But keep it simple. If it becomes overly complicated, you'll just end up abandoning your entire plan. It may take a while to find what works best for you, but it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

15. Marian0302

Marian0302 New Member

My best way to control my eating is drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before I eat. It's a great thing to do when I'm craving. I avoid watching people when they are eating so during meal time I go inside my room and I eat there. In that way, I can manage my food intake. I can stop myself from eating more because there are no people influencing me to eat a lot. Every time I feel hungry I immediately drink a glass of water to hold my hunger until meal time. I also record the time when I should eat to have a perfect planning with my eating.

16. xenia0143

xenia0143 New Member

Plan your snacks: bring in almonds, walnuts, or unsalted peanuts and keep at your desk. Store fruit and baby carrots or celery sticks in the office fridge.
    Avoid the “free food” giveaway table. Better yet, ask your office manager to remove it.
    Drink water out of a pretty glass and make sure it’s always filled. Add a wedge of lemon, lime, or sliced cucumbers for extra flavor.
    Walk when you feel like you’re about to give in to your cravings. Often they’ll disappear after a brief burst of fresh air.

17. Naiumkhan

Naiumkhan New Member

Knowing how to control hunger is essential for you to lose weight, and feeding yourself every three hours is the first step so you do not run the risk of getting out of control and attacking everything ahead when hunger strikes. Gradually reverse this picture, start the day with an enhanced breakfast and decrease the amount of what you eat throughout the day.

• Invest in physical activity, it is critical to your health and quality of life. It will help you to lose weight and stay lean
    • Maintain a balanced diet with all food groups, proteins, good fats and low glycemic index carbohydrates. Lifestyle changes are very effective in the treatment of weight loss
    • Bet on thermogenic foods, which can increase the body's caloric expenditure. In this list, you will find pepper, green tea, ginger and other
    • Do periodic checkups because your body needs to be in balance so that you can lose weight without risk, and only doing the medical tests of the clinical, nutritional and hormonal part you can detect the metabolic barriers that impede the weight loss
    • Increase fiber intake, which in addition to improving the intestinal tract increases the feeling of satiety
    • Use medications when necessary, as in the case of obesity, which is a multifactorial and complex disease that in many cases needs to be treated with several strategies, including the use of medications, which should be used in a judicious way and after a detailed evaluation of patient history
    • Reduce stress, as studies have shown that weight gain and cortisol levels (known as stress hormones) are closely linked, meaning that the higher the stress, the higher the level of cortisol and the greater the ease with which individual gains weight. Poor diet and sedentary lifestyle are part of the vicious circle in which the individual is inserted and to interrupt this cycle it is necessary to adopt habits and activities that improve the quality of life, such as outdoor activities, walks and play activities
    • Decrease consumption of sugars and fats, for the reasons described above in the article and according to the Canadian Neuroscience Association, there are people who are more vulnerable to addiction to unhealthy foods, such as those rich in sugars and fats, so avoid them!

Rate Me 5 star if this was Helpful :)

18. paulinejohanna29

paulinejohanna29 New Member

The best and proven way to control your eating is to drink lots and lots of water. Drink 1 glass of water first thing in the morning, before lunch and before dinner drink also a glass of water. That way you will feel full because of the liquid intake and you will feel less hungry. I've tried this several times and it works. Also, this can make your skin more hydrated and you will feel refreshed everyday.

19. Ahmedi963

Ahmedi963 New Member

First and foremost, cutting sugars and restricting carbohydrates, as other have mentioned, is an important step to self control. The biggest culprits, in my opinion, are processed sugars and processed grains. This distinction is crucial as fruits, vegetables and oatmeal are also a source of carbohydrates and sugars, but their benefits to the human body cannot be denied. However, it is important to remember that oatmeal can be tampered with as well; some brands may contain added sugars. This is where making that small distinction makes all the difference.

My journey towards a healthier life, however, began with intermittent fasting. This diet is usually done by fasting 16 hours of the day and eating for the other eight. Some may implement longer fasting hours, but it will all depend on the results you want for yourself. This diet has truly helped me gain self control and without it I would not have been able to change my lifestyle to what it is today. It is important to note, however, that I am no longer fasting. As I have mentioned before, I am now on a diet which restricts carbohydrates, but it was intermittent fasting that made this possible.

If you have never tried fasting, I highly recommend reading about it and maybe even trying it out yourself. Whenever you try something new in your life, it will always be hard in the beginning. However, making these changes will bring you a lot of happiness in the long run. Do not try to force a new lifestyle, but rather ease into one which does not make you unhappy.

If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

20. Karl D

Karl D New Member

The easiest way to keep yourself from eating too much is making good choices for snacks and not worrying that much about the quantity you eat. If you're eating compulsively or mindlessly, try food that is filling, high in protein (preferably vegetal), hard to chew, heavily spiced and/or small "hard to get to". Examples of these are jerky beef, sprouts, raw cabbage and nuts.

In the end it's not really about how much you eat, but what you eat. The idea is to eat whatever you want so long as you're cooking it yourself and filling up on veggies instead of other things.

21. Divinelyrich

Divinelyrich New Member

I think the best way to control your eating is to; plan your eating time and be disciplined enough to stick to the plan.

22. romilda

romilda Member

You need to maintain your healthy diet.

23. Isakft

Isakft Member

This depends on what you want to achieve... But just try to stay away from unhealthy food, changing your habits. When wanting something sweet, try eating a fruit. I eat three big meals a day, two consisting of high protein, low-fat meat. This is because of me being really into lifting weights and building my body. Just try to eat healthily, but also remember to treat yourself some days.

24. marcbarredo13

marcbarredo13 Member

Before I eat something, I always think if the food is healthy enough to give my body what it needs to perform to the highest level and I only eat 2 times a day only or 3 times a day maximum. We are design to eat only 1-2 times a day but in modern society, we don't follow these anymore and we tend to eat as much as we want for we are surrounded by processed foods that are ready to eat. I only eat healthy foods to maintain my body's micro nutrients, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. This is my simple way of controlling what I eat during the day.

25. Majae

Majae New Member

Before you eat, drink water. This will help your tummy less empty and prevents you for eating much more than your body needs.

26. vebselpo

vebselpo Member

Do not eat with your family, prefer eating alone so you wont have that much appetite. Also, if you were the one preparing your everyday meal maybe you can cook it not so yummy that way you'll surely eat less. Just drink lots of water so you wont get dehydrated.

27. yograj

yograj Member

There are certain things, which need to be performed in a balanced way, neither more nor less! The quantity of food we eat, is among these.
    If we eat less, we may suffer lack of energy and catch some diseases. On the contrary, if we eat more, we may gain excess weight and suffer from obesity.
    To get rid of this worry, we should eat less but more frequently. However, we also need to follow a balanced diet program.

28. Olmaki

Olmaki Member

They say, for breakfast eat like a king, at lunch eat like a prince and at night eat like a beggar. That way you do not accumulate a lot of calories since your intake during a rest is small.With such a mentality you will know how much to eat and at what time. Of cause you still have to observe a balanced diet.

29. tjmay

tjmay Member

1. Drink plenty of water[​IMG]
      . When you stomach is full of water, it stops sending signals to your brain that it wants food. You'll feel fuller on absolutely zero calories. To top it off: Your metabolism gets a boost too.

1. Drink Water. Thirst is often confused with hunger or food cravings.
    2. Eat More Protein.
    3. Distance Yourself From the Craving.
    4. Plan Your Meals.
    5. Avoid Getting Extremely Hungry.
    6. Fight Stress.
    7. Take Spinach Extract.
    8. Practice Mindful Eating.