Book vs eBook

Discussion in 'Books' started by AmazingStar, May 14, 2018.

?

How would you like to read your books?

1. Physical Book

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. eBook Reader (Kindle)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. AmazingStar

AmazingStar New Member

I prefer to read books on my kindle.
    I travel a lot and the Kindle comes in handy as a very good portable alternative.

As all my books are stored digitally, I don't need to worry about having space on a bookshelf.
    Another bonus is that I can download the books instantly and need not have to wait for it to be delivered at my doorstep.

So, how about you?

2. princezam

princezam New Member

E-books has a lot of benefits and I can provide you 5 benefits of using E-book. First, it can help people with poor eyesight to read a certain content since you can enlarge the text on a device just by zooming it. Second, it doesn't take too much space in your room, and you can access it anytime you want. Third, buying E-books from Amazon is much cheaper, an average paper book cost around $20.00 but you can get an E-book for around $5.00. Fourth, I can read in the dark while I am laying down on my bed. Last reason why I prefer E-books over print books is sometimes, I don't know certain words, and all I have to do on an E-book is just to double-tap the word and I will immediately have the definition.

Some people absolutely love the look, smell, and feel of the classical book held in their hands, and such people may not be willing to give up the sensory experience from reading paper books. Paper books is better for the memory retention and focus. I have proved it myself when I was reviewing a book prior to having exams.

Reading paper books also helps people with sleep problems and eyestrain. High levels of screen brightness from an electronic device can contribute to visual fatigue, it makes my eyes itchy and sometimes causes burning eyes after staying on the device for quite some time.

3. Belleniah17

Belleniah17 New Member

For me I prefer choose to read books, reading of books for me relieves stress and also it is relaxing, especially when you are reading books alone under the tree with the cold breeze of air, it is quite relaxing. There are lot of advantages when you read books then Ebooks. One of it is books don't have radiation that can be found on smartphones, laptops, tablets, and even personal computers. Even though it is hard to carry and can't be put to your pouch still it don't have any side effects. Reading Ebooks have side effects, it can damage your eyes when you read too much on the gadget. Even though ebooks contains lots of topics, stories to be read still it have side effects to your body.

I read a lot of books and never read ebooks, I have many collections of books at my bookshelf. Collecting of books was enjoyable, especially if you have many books on your bookshelf.

4. potatowrites

potatowrites New Member

Nowadays, it's no doubt that e-books are more accessible and convenient compared to those physical books. When you have a simple reading device like for example, an android phone, reading is undeniably more convenient because you won't have the flip any pages as it would take a physical book and instead, just scroll down or swipe depending on the device you have. As for me, I read my e-books through my laptop. I can easily download e-books and its file size is never a problem for my storage. However, everything is not without a problem, right? Whenever I read my e-books in my laptop, I tend to get distracted easily. If you have internet connection, do a few clicks, and you're down the spiral of the internet. The flexibility of an electronic device offers a range of things that you can do, aside from reading, which is a flaw when compared to a physical book because from my experience, reading physical books helps me focus solely on reading.

5. fanakw

fanakw New Member

Give me a book... not an ebook just a good old-fashioned book. I love the feel of the paper when I turn the pages. I think that reading books as opposed to ebooks is also stimulating especially for younger readers. Turning pages help with the development of fine-motor skills.

6. gege05

gege05 New Member

I would go reading for the old fashioned book. The experience of turning each page until flipping the last page is so amazing. The only thing you don't want is that its heavy specially if you will always bring it with you.Although,reading ebook gives you an easy and handy reading. The only thing i don't like is that when you're reading tru phone I end up hurting my eyes because of too much light by cellphones.

7. pamz-IZg3

pamz-IZg3 New Member

hmm... ebook are really portable, less weight, you can also bring as many as you want without having the additional weight you need to carry per book that you bring.
    but I guess I'm still an old fashioned hard bind book reader, although the convenience of ebook are remarkable.. I still find it easy to read the hard bind books, also it's really hard to get a good sleep when you are reading on the brightness of your own mobile phone..
    I can see how a lot of people prefer reading e books today than having the hard bind, because ebook are easily copied and sent to other person, unlike hard bind in which you still need to find a coping machine just to have you own copy, or find a copy of the book through bookstores

8. warren7432

warren7432 New Member

Personally, I prefer books over e-books because e-books don't have the physical aspects that books have. For example, you can turn the pages of a book, underline, write, and highlight words, phrases, and sentences on the book itself for later references. I am in favor of printed books over e-books because first, they do not cause harm to our eyes like e-books do. Second, I like the feeling of authenticity when reading a book. It develops my love for the book. Lastly, books do not need to be charged. I can read books even in times of black-outs without the concern of battery drainage like gadgets used for reading e-books. When reading academic books, I prefer picking-up a textbook at a library because I feel like that I could retain information and understand lessons more than from merely reading e-books. Moreover, I could collect books and re-read them in the future or pass it out to the next generation.

9. Vimtuous

Vimtuous New Member

I think there is merit to both. I own hundreds of books and I adore being able to read them. Being able to pick up a physical book, feel the pages and breath in that amazing book smell is wonderful
    Ebooks are also great in their own way. They are portable, usually cheaper to buy than traditional books, better for the environment in the sense that no paper is being used to create them, and on the writing side of things, self publishing via Ebook is much easier than getting into traditional publishing.
    That being said, I think I prefer physical books. Cracking open a book for the first time and getting a whiff of that new book smell is like crack to me!

10. avramdenisa

avramdenisa New Member

I'm definitely siding with the digital format on this one. I totally get the appeal of physical ones: the smell, the nostalgia but I don't think that can outweigh the positives of e-book readers. Ever since I got a Kindle my reading habits have changed quite drastically. Reading on public transportation used to be a big no-no for me since I felt like it was drawing unnecessary attention to me plus there's a certain clunkiness to the entire process. Now I can easily just pop the little fella out of my bag at any time without feeling self-conscious in any way. It's unreal how much reading you can get done in the time you'd be wasting while being idle on the bus or waiting for appointments. Not to mention it suits my reading style way better. I usually read around 3-4 books at a time and carrying all of them around at the same time would be a complete nightmare.

11. tinpark

tinpark New Member

I prefer to read ebooks since for me its more accessible than books since internet is available at our house it is easier rather than borrowing books or buying them at your local bookstores around you.

12. joelcruz

joelcruz New Member

Books or E-books are the for me. They are all important to us and because of them we learn new things in life and have knowledge about everything. Books are the oldest form of sourcing of information because of the creation of e-books. E-books are now available on the internet and it can be download directly to your phone, computer or tablet. They are now available almost everywhere it can be download for free because there are sites offers their e-book for free. You can also buy thru online with a small amount. Almost all informations on the typical book can now be found to e-books and they are almost the same, the advantage of e-book is that you stored it in your cellphone or tablet and it very convenience to use just open your tablet or phone and that's it you can read. It not practical to hold three books at your hand or bag if you can use it thru your cellphone by downloading it thru your cellphone. E-books now are use by students they don't need to carry heavy bags with full of books, what they carry now is one tablet with full of e-books stored on it for every topic they are interested to. What is important here is to ensure that e-book contains really a reliable information that is the same to the typical books. Because typical books is for me a one hundred percent information and passed to test before releasing it to the market for selling. As parents we must ensure that our children provides a good source of information whether from e-book or book.

13. Imcorbo95

Imcorbo95 New Member

I prefer reading books in soft format (ebook) because aside for its convenience it also save a lot of space in my small bag. I can bring as much book as I want without worrying my baggage allowance at the airport. I can't blame people who loved reading in physical books though, because smelling book while reading still gives us this strange feeling of happiness.

14. freda32

freda32 New Member

I prefer reading books rather than e-books. I prefer printed materials or physical.

15. billwaf1

billwaf1 New Member

I prefer reading ebooks. Ebooks provide a good user interface than normal books. They are also a lot cheaper as compared to books. We are in a dawn of a new era and we must take advantage of the technological advancement that is happening in the recent years. Am even wondering why people still buy printed books, unless the book is not in electronic format. Anyway, printed books are becoming a thing of the past as authors of various books see marketing of eBook cheaper as compared to marketing of printed books. It is also easier to self publish an eBook.

16. livity6900

livity6900 Member

With the current advancement of smart phones, eBooks have become the order of the day and majority people are now reading as compared to book because you can have them on your device and carry them along wherever you go but you cannot do that you your books. I believe the maximum book to carry along is just one or two but you can have about 50 eBooks on your Smartphone or tablet and sit at the beach whilst readying. EBooks takes up less space. With 1GB you can store as many as 20 books on your smart phone depending on the size. You can find whatever book you want to read at any convenient time. EBook will not cause any danger when reading during black out. We can save the forestry by not cutting trees. Let us promoter a green environment. When you are reading eBook and you get tired you can easily stop and there will be no need to curve just like we do to real book

I do not need to create a shelve to store my eBook. There are times with it rain and your books get soaked, after a period of time it stink and that is real bad So I believe eBook has come to stay and that is the trend right now. Advancement with international perspective.

17. Franz Jeff Dignos

Franz Jeff Dignos New Member

ooks or E-books are the for me. They are all important to us and because of them we learn new things in life and have knowledge about everything. Books are the oldest form of sourcing of information because of the creation of e-books. E-books are now available on the internet and it can be download directly to your phone, computer or tablet. They are now available almost everywhere it can be download for free because there are sites offers their e-book for free. You can also buy thru online with a small amount. Almost all informations on the typical book can now be found to e-books and they are almost the same, the advantage of e-book is that you stored it in your cellphone or tablet and it very convenience to use just open your tablet or phone and that's it you can read. It not practical to hold three books at your hand or bag if you can use it thru your cellphone by downloading it thru your cellphone. E-books now are use by students they don't need to carry heavy bags with full of books, what they carry now is one tablet with full of e-books stored on it for every topic they are interested to. What is important here is to ensure that e-book contains really a reliable information that is the same to the typical books. Because typical books is for me a one hundred percent information and passed to test before releasing it to the market for selling. As parents we must ensure that our children provides a good source of information whether from e-book or book.

18. Sarah Rennie

Sarah Rennie New Member

Before I bought my Kindle Fire, I had no intention of ever reading eBooks because I had it in my head that nothing could possibly compare to the look and feel of a physical book, but boy, was I wrong.

I've since learned of how convenient having an eReader is, and have also since added the Kindle app to my phone so that I can read my books when I don't have my Kindle with me. For awhile, my Kindle was what I used to read books that I may have been "embarrassed" by, and not having to hold a physical copy of said embarrassing book in an awkward angle to hide the cover, it freed me, in a way, to sound dramatic.

I still love physical books, though. For me, nothing will ever top it, but I've come to appreciate the eBooks mostly because it's where I read my trashy novels, but also because I've found that I read at a much faster pace. So, even though I voted for physical copy, I actually really love both.

19. djob06

djob06 New Member

I still prefer books... I love being curled up on my sofa with coffee me.. I love the smell of books, specially when the pages start to turn yellow.. And the happiness every time I have a book on my hand..

20. brsarayb

brsarayb New Member

eBooks seems to be a great deal, it's easier when you have all the alternatives in your own hands, all the books you want in the confort of your house, without moving your legs, or arms, even your hands, just a finger, and then there it is the book you wanted, yeah it looks fine but for me it isn't like that, you know? I love surprises, and that's what I find when I go to the library, I usually don't go with an exact idea in my mind, I just go and buy wherever I find more interesting, sometimes it brings me great surprises, and sometimes not, but touching and smelling the pages, that's something a screen can't give.

Books, are friendly, you even look better with a book in your hands than with a tablet, and the books doesn't make your eyes hurt, so yeah, books are way better.

21. myrna2381

myrna2381 New Member

E-Books are great for technical things. But for things about life and stuff, I like physical books. It's something about having this book that you can hold on to that kinda makes it seem special.