Brand new car or Second hand car?

Discussion in 'Cars, Sports, & Outdoors' started by Anne Yarih, Aug 15, 2017.

1. alapaap

alapaap New Member

Choosing between purchasing a brand new car or a second hand car will depends on the following factors stated below:
    1. budget - as indicated in the previous posts if person can afford to buy a brand new car then go for it. If not you can still wait and save more to be able to buy one or if it is really urgent then you may take a second hand car.
    2. your a mechanic - being a mechanic or someone who knows how to fix cars is a really big factor in making your decision. As we know some second hand vehicle can have problems like in the engine, the chassis or even as simple as brakes or tires that may cause a huge hole in your pocket in the end if your not knowledgeable in fixing cars.
    3. your self - I include this one as a factor in decision making because for a person like me, if example I want a BMW and then what I can only afford is a Toyota, if I will already take this Toyota I will always be wanting that BMW "Always be wanting to have one". In short I will not be contented with what I am driving. So the best decision for me is just to save a little more so I can already have what car I really want.

2. Gary Crowell

Gary Crowell New Member

Financing a car is a bad idea. Financing a brand new car is a ridiculously terrible idea. Financing a depreciating asset is not smart finance. Should I even refer to a car as an asset? As soon as you drive a brand new car off the lot it has lost value and if you have not put any money down on that car, you end up, in most cases, upside down or owing more than it's worth. Best way to purchase a vehicle is with cash but if you have to finance a vehicle, finance a used vehicle. I have also been told by a financial planner that the value of your vehicles should not exceed 25% of your household annual income.

3. Davisho

Davisho Member

Depends on the price because if I can get my dream car new at a discounted price I would buy, if I get it used It has to be less than five years old.

4. Hux

Hux Active Member

At the moment, I only purchase cars that are a couple of years old. I avoid buying brand new as the moment you drive the car off the forecourt, you lose a couple of thousand in value. You've instantly lost money where as a second hand car, you're buying the car at it's second hand value.

5. alnars

alnars New Member

I am planning to have a car by installment because I cannot afford to buy a new one or second hand. But I have difficulty to decide from now

6. menggay

menggay Member

I don't mind using an old model or a second hand car as long as the engine is working just fine. Since I am a student driver, I don't think I can afford to have my new car scratched because of my negligence since I am a newbie so second hand will be my bet for the meantime.

7. Natasha_. k

Natasha_. k New Member

I would choose a brand new car since if one decides to buy a car they would already be working hard to collect the money so it is a pitty not to buy a new car which is most likely gonna last longer

8. kaywriter

kaywriter New Member

I choose a brand new car. This gives an assurance that the car is in a good working condition and is likely to have a longer life span

9. kaifkhattak6298

kaifkhattak6298 New Member

well depend upon on your savings and pockets values, If you want to keep vehicle for a long period of time then its better to buy a new branded car because used car having almost half of life remaining and almost spend some more on its furnishing, so better a new one..

10. kifayatkhattak0

kifayatkhattak0 New Member

I prefer brand new car instead of used car. Took an example of used car, it will cost you low as compared to new car but it will stuck your mind when it became faulty. If someone is selling his car then it means there is some issue, then you will waist your time also and extra money too. There is many cases, if you have not enough fund to purchase a new car then wait for a while save some money and then you decide whether to take car or not.
    New branded car cost you more money but only one time and after that you will enjoy driving a lot. They have warranty and if you face some issues during your warranty, then they will solve your issue with free of cost. If you want to enjoy your life and spend some time with your family instead of in car workshop then its better for you to purchase new car.

11. alxoue

alxoue Member

I like to have new car but I cannot afford to have a brand new car so for now I prefer to have used car.

12. Airabaclor08

Airabaclor08 Member

At first glance, it will seem that buying a pre-owned unit is more financially wise. Cars depreciate because they are used a lot and that can be a disadvantage to you, financially speaking.

But things are not always what they seem, so let’s use real numbers so that we can come up with a more logical conclusion.

13. cheelito

cheelito New Member

I prefer used car. The biggest disadvantage of buying a new car is that you lose money on it as soon as you drive it off the lot. A new car takes its biggest depreciation in the first two or three years. This means that you are basically throwing away several thousand dollars that you will never be able to get back. Financially it does not make a lot of sense to buy a new car unless you have money you do not mind losing.

Another disadvantage is if you buy a car that is a brand new model. There may be a year when they switch engines or alter the design and that model and year tend to have more problems. If you buy used you can avoid that issue.

14. Lahn

Lahn New Member

For me, buying your own brand new car would be really great! It is the best ever gift that you can reward yourself after working hard for years. But as for now, I'll prefer purchasing a second-hand car because I still don't have enough funds to acquire a new one. As long as the car is working and the engine is in good running condition, it's fine with me.

15. ruzel1919

ruzel1919 New Member

I prefer to buy a brand new car. The advantage of buying a new car is that you are buying a car that generally comes with a warranty. Most new cars will have very few repairs in the first few years, so you can focus only on the maintenance of the car. The biggest disadvantage of buying a used car is that it may not be as reliable or you may need to do more repairs on it. If I can afford to buy a new car, I will not take risks in buying used car.

16. keishastake

keishastake Member

I would advise anyone to have both a new and a second-hand car. It is just plain smart to have two cars, that way when one is down you will have another to depend on. I know first hand, how, not cool it is to be without a car. Since then I have vowed to never be without two vehicles for the purpose of being prepared for such an event.

A new car is great to have because you will run into fewer issues, probably for the first 3-4 years. New cars do not or should not require any major repair for many years while in your possession. Having a reliable car is very comforting. A second-hand car also has its own value. You will get used to driving the secondhand car and know what is required to properly operate it. They are certainly cheaper to buy but not cheaper to maintain. So, just know the cost, in the beginning, does not really balance out the end cost. Your second-hand car can serve as the source of most of your transportation so that the new car does not wear out sooner. Once the second-hand car breaks completely down you will have a second-hand car with the once new car and can shop for a newer vehicle.

17. vinzero6

vinzero6 Member

brandnew car of course because maybe you have nothing wrong and not stolen others. and so also the brandnew than a second hand car might have broken but the other part of the doll there if we are good quaility right...

18. Marcporms

Marcporms New Member

I prepared brand new car to avoid facing any difficulties in terms of spare parts etc. You can enjoy your driving up to 5 years without thinking of any maintenance of your car, if you want to invest a car, go for new one.

19. lyz07

lyz07 Member

i choose brand new car if i have money and buy a car because i know that i can use this for a long time and i will not repair any thing for my car and its complete paper.

20. cen

cen New Member

Well it depends on how deep is your pocket. I would settle for a brand new car any time if I have the budget. The smell of a brand new car.. the high tech gadgets and features they add in it just to make driving a lot fun and easier. In buying a second hand car you must know a thing or two about cars or better yet bring your trusted mechanic to help you check the car that you like.

21. AliHussain

AliHussain New Member

Its not a simple this or that question, first of all you would need to establish your budget, type of car & your plans for the car (will it be a long term vehicle or will you plan to sell it in the near future?).

Let's say you wanted to purchase a V8 Muscle car, a brand new V8 Chevrolet Camaro would be priced from $35,000 up to $45,000, which is a big gap for basically the same car, but if were interested in the higher options, you would be better off buying a used one as you could get it cheaper than a brand new low option car, however keep in mind that the type of car is important too as we all know, these type of cars are most likely driven aggressively which shortens the life of the vehicle, however if you wanted a mid-sized used sedan like the Malibu for example you would more likely find one used carefully. This also leads to the final question, are you buying this car for long term use or short term? This question is important as if you wanted a long term car, you should opt for the new one which will serve its purpose for the longer period with less issues, assuming you service it correctly, however if you're going for something short-term i'd say go for the used car because it will hold its value better and you would be able to sell it for a minimal loss.

Cars are basically a depreciating asset, rarely an investment (except rare vehicles). So figure out what you're looking for in a car and decide based on these questions.

22. renba27

renba27 Member

If you can buy a new one why not its just.

23. ljas

ljas New Member

If im not finacially capable of buying a brand new car, of course, i would fall to second hand cars. It's more practical and u can still get to your destinations using your second hand car. But be careful of buying a second car, be sure that you have your car mechanic on your side before deciding to purchase. You might fall of just repairing your car and wasting money because of not being wise in inspecting your prospect car..

24. simonsez29

simonsez29 New Member

I've never had the money to buy a new car outright, and debt makes me anxious. I know I've probably spent more on beaters in the last ten years than I would have on a new car, but every car I've had has been mine- I never owed anyone any money for them.

25. Cheskajem

Cheskajem New Member

I do not have a car to buy one. But on my opinion I will choose a brand car the reason why is all tha parts of the car is in good condition and new compare to use cars yes you bought that car for a lower price or cheap price but what if it is not already in good condition and you keep on going to the workshop mechanics.

26. QueenFarLou

QueenFarLou New Member

Save yourself from stress and get yourself a brand new car my friend. There are advantages and disadvantages I'm sure but if you are not a car geek like me buying a brand new car is way better. You don't have to worry about major maintenance until after 2-3 years, therefore saving yourself from unwanted costs.

27. tard

tard New Member

Buying a brand new car would be the easiest decision to make when buying your first car. A brand new car leaves you with no problems whatsoever performance-wise, but buying a second hand car will be the most economic decision of owning a car. The only downside to this is that you don't know for sure how well this car was taken care of. Although this seems to be not much of a problem if we make sure that the car you're buying has been maintained well by its owner. Buying a brand new car comes at a costly price not to mention its depreciation cost if you plan to sell it sooner or later, which is why, in my opinion, it is much more budget friendly to buy a second hand car instead.

28. kayplus

kayplus New Member

Would I rather a 1 car when I can buy 2 more at the same price? No, there is no big deal in buying someone else's used car. Come to think of it every car you see on the road is a used car because someone is using it at the moment. Being the first user of a car also have a great advantage and the pride or self-esteem that comes with it is worth the price you paid for it. It all depends on how financially buoyant you are.