Camp NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by MaggieBee, Mar 1, 2018.

1. MaggieBee

MaggieBee New Member

Hello, fellow writers! I was wondering if anyone else was planning to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo next month.

If anyone's unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, it stands for 'National Novel Writing Month' and takes place every year in November. The goal is to write 50,000 words in one month. The prize? Bragging rights and a wonderful sense of personal accomplishment. :)

Camp NaNoWriMo is an offshoot. I think it takes place twice a year - once in April, and once in July or August. The rules are a bit more relaxed - you can set your own word count goal, write a script, edit something, or whatever strikes your fancy. I've been doing 'regular' NaNoWriMo every year since 2003, and I've always meant to do Camp NaNo, but somehow I've never gotten around to it. Until now! Anyone else taking the plunge?

BlueSiren likes this.
  2. BlueSiren

BlueSiren New Member

Hi Maggie! Like you, I've always meant to participate in Camp NaNo, but I seem to miss it every year. I have done NaNoWriMo for the last two years and won both years (yay!), and am proud to have two rough draft novels under my belt now. Very impressive you've been on a streak since 2003! November always takes a lot out of me and I've only done it twice.

After reading your description, I think I'll have to give it a try. I didn't realize it happened in April as well as during the summer. I never feel like writing during the summer because I always want to be outside, salvaging the precious Canadian sunshine! :) The looser structure of Camp NaNo sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for during the off-months. I could work on editing my two rough drafts and maybe end up with a polished work at the end of everything. I'll have to check it out this year!