Can you give up soda pop?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by justusforus, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ran44

ran44 New Member

I drink soda way too often. I only like Diet Coke, and I know how bad it is, but I still love it. I have given it up quite a few times, the longest being about 6 months. But I always start drinking it again. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to (I used to drink 5-6 cans a day, easily), but I still have it at least weekly. Honestly, the thing that helped me cut down the most is the money - I'm saving a lot of money by not drinking 5 sodas a day!

2. Freelancepreneur

Freelancepreneur New Member

For me personally it wouldn't be too hard to quite soda altogether. In fact, in the past I have gone many weeks without drinking soda however the down-side is most other drinks either have no taste at all, or just taste too fake to appeal to me. With this being the case, I always seem to come back to soda. Once I find a good way to make water and other drinks more appealing I am definitely done with soda!

3. meka0703

meka0703 New Member

My tip for giving up soda, or at least only having it in moderation, is to not keep it inside the home. You would be less likely to have soda if you have to leave the home in order to get one. My infatuation with soda has been replaced by my daily cup of coffee. I understand that most people probably love the fizzy flavor of the soda, but I only drank it for the kick of caffeine. I can agree with you that the diet counterparts are not the same at all. I couldn't tolerate the taste either. Another tip that I will offer is to try replacing regular soda with a little natural fruit juice and sparkling water. It will give you that fizzy flavor without the negatives of soda.

4. lynda.wilson187

lynda.wilson187 New Member

І usеd tо lоvе sоdа whеn І wаs уоungеr. І wоuld оrdеr а сuр оf Соlа аnd gеt соnstаnt rеfіlls еvеrу tіmе І wеnt tо rеstаurаnts, mоvіе thеаtеrs, vеndіng mасhіnеs, vеndоrs, sсhооl, оr јust sіmрlу tаkіng а wаlk. І аlsо hаd аn аbundаnt suррlу оf соkе аt hоmе (аbоut 2 bохеs: 24 саns) – bаsісаllу, І drаnk Соlа whеrеvеr аnd whеnеvеr І wаs аblе tо. Вut tоdау, І bаrеlу drіnk sоdа. І аm nоt ехасtlу surе whу І stорреd drіnkіng sоdа, but І bеlіеvе іt іs bесаusе І dо nоt еnјоу thе fіzzу fееlіng whеn thе sоdа раssеs thrоugh mу еsорhаgus. І аlsо sаw а vіdео shоwіng hоw muсh sugаr іs іn оnе саn оf sоdа. Аlthоugh thаt vіdео wаs nоt а dесіdіng fасtоr іn mу dесіsіоn tо stор drіnkіng sоdа, іt wаs сеrtаіnlу аn еуе-ореnеr. І nаturаllу stорреd drіnkіng sоdа; І dіd nоt rеstrісt оr fоrсе mуsеlf tо stор drіnkіng sоdа. Ѕtudіеs shоw thаt іnstеаd оf thіnkіng thаt уоu аrе рuttіng rеstrісtіоns оn уоursеlf, іt іs bеttеr tо sау thаt іt іs уоur dесіsіоn аnd сhоісе. Ѕuссеssful dіеtеrs usе thіs mеthоd tо lоsе wеіght. Іnstеаd оf bеlіеvіng thаt thеу аrе lіmіtіng thеmsеlvеs, thеу соnstаntlу tеll thеmsеlvеs thаt еаtіng hеаlthу fооds аnd ехеrсіsіng іs thеіr сhоісе.

5. BreeJ82

BreeJ82 New Member

I slowly started replacing one soda with a glass of water. I couldn't go cold turkey and still every few days I have a soda. It's more mind over matter. I tell myself if I go two days with a soda then I can have just one then. Now my body is used to having one soda every few days. I don't think you should completely stray from it, because you could end up wanting to drink a whole case in a day! I found rewarding myself with a small cup every few days gave me just enough, and I can still see the benefits of all the water that I have been drinking.

6. merimaaa

merimaaa New Member

I already have and its the best decision I ever made! After a while, you don't even miss it, and you don't even enjoy the taste of it anymore. Whenever I try to drink it now, it feels like I'm drinking acid, and my stomach hurts right away. Your health changes for the better, and I think there's no better drink than water! We're just so used to all of our food being sweet and flavory that drinking water seems abnormal to some people.

7. richardawg

richardawg Member

Yes, already did.

Actually, I cut it out a long time ago when I was in college. I also cut many other 'bad' things out including salt and refined sugars. I usually buy fresh produce from the farmer's market and try not to eat processed foods of any kind.

Now when I eat something like a tortilla chip at a friend's house party, it is fat too salty. And sugared foods are far too sweet. I read an article a long time ago about some Londoners who started a similar diet and upon eating in France, they too complained of the saltiness and sweetness.

Eating properly and in the right portions is absolutely the way to do it. What were we thinking before being fooled with this trash with colorful cartoon rabbits or a crazy clown that sells burgers. These corporations make millions on junk food - read about how the CEO of the company got chewed out from investors for trying to change to healthier snacks - "If we wanted to invest in healthy foods we would have chosen a company as such" they said. There's billions to be made from an addict and that's why it's so hard to change.

Best of luck on your journey.

8. Katrina Henry

Katrina Henry New Member

Hello all! For me, I decided to stop drinking sodas and eventually most juices. Mountain dew was my absolute favorite in college but I could have done without the 'freshman 20' I put on. In high-school I was very active in sports so I did not have any trouble with weight gain. So as a substitute for soda/juice, I started buying flavored water to kind of wean myself, or at least to sub for the sweetness I craved!(I love sweets, another motivation to cut down on additional sweet intake in beverages!). Eventually, I just started drinking plain ice cold water and it literally became habit. Besides drinking a sweet beverage does not quench your thirst like H2O! Now when I'm craving something sweet and fizzy, I buy seltzer water. You can even squeeze an orange or lemon juice, cut up strawberries, cucumber, and mint into the water...so refreshing! If I happen to relapse and have a coke or sprite even, it tastes extremely sweet and artificial. I actually dilute the soda with water! You can totally give up soda!

9. Claire98909

Claire98909 New Member

I gave up regular (sugared) soda years ago in favor of diet. I try to limit myself to one can of Sprite Zero a day since my mom is always nagging me about all of the chemicals that diet drinks contain. I'll never be able to kick the habit altogether, as I'm one of those strange people who find plain water to be very boring unless I'm absolutely parched. I've attempted to switch to flavored bubble water, such as Polar or Poland Springs, but to be honest I find them to be absolutely atrocious.

10. octokat

octokat New Member

Yes! It's possible! I'm proud to say that I have given up soda. I can't even remember the last time I drank one. It's been a year at least, maybe two. I gave it up because I simply wanted to have a healthier diet. I also wanted to try and diminish any acne caused from too much sugar intake. Now I only drink water, tea, coconut water, and the occasional decaf coffee. Oh! Don't forget the protein shakes, such as Muscle Milk. Stay healthy my friends!

11. Bezcampz

Bezcampz New Member

Letting go of something I love is very hard. It's hard but it's not impossible. I have taken my biggest move to give up soda a few months ago. It took courage and real determination to do so. I have to fight my cravings every time I see one in my fridge. What I did is take it out in my system slowly - in moderation until the craving is gone. The process was gradual yet effective.

Yes, giving it up is not easy. The goal of living a healthy lifestyle is one of my greatest motivations. Another is my family. I want to be a role model to them. How can I say to them not to drink soda, when they would see me doing the otherwise? That give impact to change my lifestyle as to drinking soda.

oahuwriter likes this.
  12. Alicia36

Alicia36 Member

I have been trying to cut back on how much soda I drink but I have not been successful at it. But when I am at work I do really well cause all I drink is water all day I just wish I could drink more water when I am home.

oahuwriter likes this.
  13. kheimer

kheimer New Member

I was a soda lover, I could drink big gulps of cherry coke all day long and feel perfectly fine. After I graduated high school I started gaining weight and I'm sure the soda intake did not help, so one day I decided to just quit and switch to un-sweet tea. At first I craved the bubbles but after a few weeks that went away, and the weight gain stopped. Since that point I can not stand soda or the way it makes me feel, bloated and sugar coated.

oahuwriter likes this.
  14. Gregory Thomas II

Gregory Thomas II New Member

I was never a huge soda kind of guy so I don't find it hard to go without it. If you're trying to remove it from your daily diet I would recommend flavored water or sweet tea. The tea will have enough caffeine and sugar to substitute sodas, and if you enjoy them enough you can always switch to healthier teas, such as green tea.

oahuwriter likes this.
  15. Rhauze

Rhauze New Member

I haven't had a soda since probably last year sometime, and I used to drink like 3 cans a day. I got rid of soda by:

1. Just not keeping it around - out of sight, out of mind!
    2. Giving it up in moderation - if you drink a bottle a day, cut down to half a bottle, then just a can, then 1 can a week, etc.
    3. Find a replacement if possible. I liked soda because it tasted sweet and was carbonated. Now, I drink zero calorie flavored carbonated water. Still sweet, still fizzy, no calories to derail my diet.

Finally, having soda as a treat once in a while will not make you obese. You don't have to completely say "Never again!" to any food or drink in order to get healthier. You should enjoy being healthy, not feel deprived and miserable.

oahuwriter likes this.
  16. Danielle724

Danielle724 New Member

As a soda/pop lover, I can tell you that kicking the habit is possible but it will not be completely easy. The first thing I would suggest is try to go cold turkey. Set a goal. Find something that is more important to you than soda is. If you can go a month without it, then you can keep going. If cold turkey does not work for you, I would suggest finding a substitute. They are sparkling juices out and you can even make your own soda which would certainly be more healthier. Drinking fruit infused water has become very popular for individuals who want to drink more water. That is also an option.

oahuwriter likes this.
  17. VioletNight777

VioletNight777 New Member

I never was into drinking sodas, but I do have an idea of what you could do to kick it. Try to wean yourself off of dark sodas. Dark sodas have the worst chemicals in them out of all the sodas. Sunkist, sundrop, sprite and mello yellow are a bit healthier than the darker ones. I would suggest gradually weaning yourself off the dark sodas and replacing them with lighter ones. After awhile of doing that you can try to replace it with something healthier.

oahuwriter likes this.
  18. AlxBrad2

AlxBrad2 New Member

Growing up, my brother and I weren't allowed to drink soda unless on our birthday and luckily I never really acquired a serious taste for it. Whenever I drank one it would burn my nose really badly and make my eyes water. I do like some fizzed drinks like sparkling water, or fizzing my juice, but other than that, I do not drink soda.

oahuwriter likes this.
  19. jessjk519

jessjk519 New Member

It's all about the mindset. I quit cold turkey once, and didn't touch them for two whole years... but then I started work at a fast food restaurant and found my way back to them. I have tried to quit numerous times before and after those two years, and have met with a lot more frustration because my head just wasn't in the game. Good luck!

oahuwriter likes this.
  20. katship17

katship17 New Member

I have tried to give up diet coke for the longest time! I don't understand why I just can't stop drinking it. I mean, I am a healthy, fit person who does Crossfit three to five times a week. I guess I just have to think of it as a post workout treat because I don't think I will give it up anytime soon.

oahuwriter likes this.
  21. Tiggers39

Tiggers39 New Member

I can go months on end without soda, but if we do a really long or challenging hike, I want nothing more than an orange soda! I don't consider it a problem after burning 2000 calories on a hike. I don't drink caffeinated sodas though. Caffeine does not work well for me. It was hard to give up though. Once upon a time, all I drank was soda. At that point, it was the caffeinated stuff. I had horrible headaches giving it up. It went away after a few days though. Soda makes me hungry. Anything with sugar does. Being hungry all the time isn't much fun, so the soda had to go. Diet sodas are even worse.

oahuwriter likes this.
  22. beesknees

beesknees New Member

It took me a long time to get off of sodas. I did so slowly and almost without noticing it. When I moved to a big city, I couldn't afford sodas all of the time or at least not as every drink like before. I started drinking tea. Black, super sweet tea. It wasn't the best, but it got me by. Slowly over a year or two, I drank less sodas and eventually started sweetening my tea less. Drank different flavored teas and then flavored waters. Finally I got to a point where I was drinking water all of the time. I can barely drink half of a soda can now. It's so weird!

oahuwriter likes this.
  23. tavilandx

tavilandx New Member

It'll take a while, but you can dilute the pop week by week until you can handle drinking water by itself.

Week one: 1 part water, 9 parts pop
    Continuing adding parts water and subtracting parts pop until you no longer have the craving.

Or you can just get to week five and drink pop 50% diluted for a while. You still get the flavor, but it's not as horrible for your health.

24. RockFit

RockFit New Member

You pretty much have to make up your mind and do it. Weening off is a good approach or you might try substituting a cup of black coffee no sugar every now and then. Remember no cream and no sugar..

oahuwriter likes this.
  25. MandyC

MandyC New Member

I have attempted to cut back on pop but it is really hard to do! In my house we have started to buy water flavoring packets. I try really hard to choose water over pop but some times it is hard to do. If I was able to cut back on pop it would impact my life severely! I would have a healthier life and my sugars would not be so high. I have set a goal to try to go a week with out pop and see how that goes!

26. ConureKeeper1990

ConureKeeper1990 New Member

In all honesty, I have tried kicking my cola habit several times, but it always comes back. Why? My body craves the caffeine. Each time I stop drinking cola cold turkey, my body has withdrawals; I am plagued by migraines, irritability, and restlessness for one to two weeks following my attempt to quit. Afterwards I don't have the energy to get through the day without napping several times (I have a medical condition), so eventually I get back into the soda habit.

Don't get me wrong, I drink other things every day, water (of course) and Ensure shakes to name a few, but I do always get back into the caffeine craze. I'm actually underweight so I'm not sure if the extra calories from soda are helping or hurting me. Regardless I know all of the sugar can't be good for me and I plan to replace those calories with something healthy.

27. Mama Bulldog

Mama Bulldog New Member

Yes! I was able to give up soda about two years ago. At first I started drinking diet soda. It was horrible at first, but it's true what they say - you do get used to it. Then after much research on my journey to get fit and healthy I discovered how horrible diet soda can be for me. It's worse than regular soda from all I've read. However, the underlying factor that I have noticed in my efforts to get rid of soda is that when I drink water and avoid sugar, I do not crave soda and sugar; but when I do drink soda and eat sugar I want more soda and sugar.

Drink more water and you'll want less soda. However, I do sip on about 4 to 6 ounces of soda about once every two weeks. There are just some foods that you need a soda with, right? Right! :)

28. winningS

winningS New Member

It's difficult but possible! I agree with many of the previous posters in that 'out of sight, out of mind' is a great approach. The first hurdle is to avoid purchasing any during your weekly grocery shop. Personally, I have found that purchasing soda water, instead of soda pop, is helpful. It still has the carbonation that I'm used too but not the sweet taste that is part of the addiction. It took me several weeks of drinking soda water (no soda pop!) before I lost the 'soda pop urge'. Once I was used to that I switch to mainly drinking plain water. Now I only really drink soda pop on special occasions (like weddings).

Good luck! It's a great thing to do for your health (and your wallet).

29. AMFleming

AMFleming New Member

Giving up soda pop was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've been with my fiancé for 3 years and a year and a half ago I gave up soda, he continued to drink it. Being young adults we both still had acne, while mine cleared significantly, he still has unclear skin.

oahuwriter likes this.
  30. oahuwriter

oahuwriter New Member

I have given up soda pop and am so glad I did give it up. It's been about 8 years till this year when I saw diet 7 UP on sale and I bought 2 of them. Up until now I did not drink soda all those years. I don't crave it just love the price of it. I sometimes drink diet A&W root beer too. It's just a little treat I give myself every once in a while drinking diet soda pop.