Coding Bootcamps- Worth the Money?

Discussion in 'Web Development, Programming & Graphics' started by anishiji, May 19, 2017.

1. anishiji

anishiji New Member

I have recently found myself unemployed for a number of years due to health complications. Recently, my brother introduced me to the world of web development and design. I have been looking into local coding bootcamps where I could learn to be a web programmer. However, the initial cost of these programs is quite a shock! The cost of thousands of dollars to learn information that is so easily accessed on the internet for free?

Are coding bootcamps worth the money? What are your thoughts, opinions, and feelings?

2. R2B51

R2B51 New Member

Hello i think that since they have the coding bootcamp online for free then i would do that instead.. Plus that a good place to start and learn coding until you can save up for that great opportunity... Thanks and God Bless.

3. RafaelCF

RafaelCF New Member

I've been thinking a lot about it. I think they are worth it but your commitment and dedication should be beyond the limit.

I've been researching some in Canada and USA and would spend something like $ 9000 on a 3 month bootcamp. But then I met FreeCodeCamp and decided to take a chance. It is quite difficult and much more time consuming than a normal bootcamp but I recommend it.

4. glondon

glondon New Member

I don't believe programming bootcamps are worth the money. All of the information that they are teaching can be found online, usually as a simpler explanation. Learning programming online is a rapidly growing field, and the education only gets better every day you wait. There is no problem starting with the basics, or even understanding them. Like a wise man once said, "practice makes perfect". Programming is an art, and knowing the concepts behind programming design is far more important than paying to learn the syntax from a "professional".

5. LiMiTx

LiMiTx New Member

Not really a fan of them, although if you're in a rush to learn, I can understand. I've self-taught myself pretty much everything I know, by just trying stuff out, reading documentations, and consulting sites like StackOverflow for any problems I have. People on those types of sites also tend to comment on any bad coding habits you may have, in addition to answering your problem or pointing you in the right direction. Not really the same thing, but I've tried an online $300 web development course (there was a huge sale, I only paid like 50), and I was pretty disappointed. It was no better than any other online tutorial series, although I'm not sure what I expected. The things those online tutorials teach you aren't usually very adaptive, so when you go and try to do something in the real world, I'd imagine you have to look up how to do a lot of things, or rely heavily on pre-made plugins and libraries made by others.

6. victoriagomezv

victoriagomezv New Member

Depends on what exactly you're looking for. If you're a complete beginner looking to get your feet wet in the area in a short amount of time and you can afford it, yes. But take into consideration that employers don't take these very seriously on their own as there's no actual proof that you can take the knowledge and apply into a practical situation. If you do decide to go through with it, make sure to practice and build something where you can actually show you have the desired skills, that's what matters at the end in programming.

7. jp7940525

jp7940525 New Member

Hey!
    I recently started learning to code and I think I have the perfect site for you. I agree that coding bootcamps are definitely not worth it. Luckily for us there are people who agree with this and made free sites that can help you learn to code. Personally, I use code academy. You have the option to pay in order to unlock extra features like quizzes and a couple projects, personally I don't think you need those. The site has various coding languages and the course for each one is broken down into small lessons. It's all free, I wouldn't waste your money on the bootcamps. I'm sure if you look a little harder you can find a few other free sites to learn from, my suggestion is just one of the many options.
    Good luck!

8. abstraction

abstraction New Member

I agree with Victor....unless you're a beginner, there's no need for such nonsense. You're selling yourself short. If you're a beginner, while not fair, in this online world.... perhaps entertain the idea, as it's likely the only way you're going to get gigs here. Suck it up, it's just the way it is, if you're not experienced online, already. If not your cup of tea, go regular mainstream, off the grid. You have choices, just choose wisely. If no experience, it may take you 2-5 yrs online to get work and pay the right people, but if your passion, this might be worth it. If experienced already, no go. Find other resources. Be wise. Only you know your true circumstances, gifts, education and experience. Good luck to you. Wish you much success in your endeavors.

9. nyiguto56

nyiguto56 Member

I don't think programming training camps are justified regardless of the cash. The greater part of the data that they are instructing can be discovered on the web, as a rule as a less complex clarification. Picking up programming on the web is a quickly developing field, and the training just shows signs of improvement consistently you hold up. There is no issue beginning with the essentials, or notwithstanding understanding them. Like an insightful man once stated, "careful discipline brings about promising results".

10. Annozou

Annozou New Member

There are several websites that are great for beginner programmers. I personally recommend Codecademy, having gone thru a couple of their courses, they do a good job at explaining whatever you are learning very clearly. Once you feel more comfortable with something, start simple projects that have guidelines found online. Honestly, all you need to get started is a computer and determination.