Did your taste in music change as you got older?

Discussion in 'Music' started by AforAshley, May 15, 2013.

1. AforAshley

AforAshley New Member

When I was a child, I found that I enjoyed listening to different genres of music. While I certainly had my preferences, I was pretty much willing to listen to anything except techno and heavy-metal. My relatives used to say that I was going through a phase and would eventually grown out of it, but I never did. I think I just love music.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's taste in music stayed the same. Or did it change with age for you?

2. SugarTown91

SugarTown91 New Member

My music taste changed drastically as I grew older. Essentially the reason being I'm the type of person who likes to match my inside to my outside. I suffered from extreme depression from around 11 years old until my second year of high school. Due to the fact that I was feeling depressed I would only listen to music that reflected that. (Lets just say I listened to The Cure a lot...) After I became a little more emotionally stable I purposely branched out into artists and genres that were less depressing.
    That being said; The Beatles, Elvis and Johnny Cash have always been favorites of mine.

Scott Curtis likes this.
  3. Brendan Carroll

Brendan Carroll New Member

I guess I had a real appreciation of music from 13 years. I started out listening to some really crappy Techno music, that's looking back now! I'd move from that to Jumpstyle/Hardstyle, anything with a real powerful feel to it.
    I guess I still am looking for that powerful feeling in music.
    Currently, i'm still in love with Electronic music, less so with Dubstep. My tastes expanded as I grew older.
    Pink Floyd(<-Dark Side of the Moon, amazing album), Alestrom, Metallica, Glitch Mob, Pendulum.
    I guess I'll always have Electronic music, but I'll keep looking outward for new experiences :)

4. hbmm

hbmm New Member

Yes, my taste in music has changed so much. I use to listen to whatever music was in "trend" as in high school, being seen listening to anything else was uncool and your friends influence your choices a lot. However, as I left high school my taste started changing and I started listening to anything that made me happy and suffering from depression. I now only listen to upbeat, positive music and I hate listening to anything sad, dreary and boring. I love chillout out, happy music that makes you want to be dancing or sitting on the beach watching the sunset. Happy music uplifts you and motivates you, does anyone else find that music motivates them too? :)

5. collspa

collspa New Member

My taste in music has been changing and evolving throughout my whole life. Even though I have always preferred rock music to most other genres, the more exact preferences for this or that type of music have always been changing. When I was about thirteen or fourteen I preferred soft rock music, and music from the 1980s. Then I started enjoying mostly heavy metal music. Then I dabbled in rap music, but rather briefly. And then I came back to rock music. And when I made the comeback to rock, I started liking all kinds of rock music, the heavy and the light, the old and the modern, American and European. My taste has never been exactly the same at any point in time, but at the same time, I never lost my loyalty to rock music.

Scott Curtis and InfoSponge like this.
  6. gookman

gookman New Member

I used to listen to different kinds of music when I was young just like you, but when I got in middle school I started listening to only rap because I wanted to fit in. After I got out of that mindstate I'm right back to listening all kinds of music again.

7. srzoller

srzoller New Member

My taste in music never really changed. I have always had an eclectic choice in music and that has continued. I have added to my music choices, but havn't changed what I like.

8. Teetonka

Teetonka New Member

My tastes have definitely changed, I went from liking pop-music, like Britney Spears and N*SYNC, to liking 80s rock, and now I currently prefer country rock and mellow-alternative.

9. jlwdgcsu

jlwdgcsu New Member

I never really noticed music until I was 11 or so but when I did I loved it. The Beatles are my favorite band, followed by Queen. My favorite song is always changing But right now I think it's Shangri-La by The Kinks. I thing the key to a good song is a change in tone which is shown in some very successful, popular songs. (examples: Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen, A Day In The Life-Beatles, Stairway To Heaven-Led Zeppelin)

10. Mays

Mays New Member

Mine definitely has. One major difference that I've noticed is how I view country music. Growing up, I absolutely hated the entire genre. But as I get older (I'm almost 21), I notice that I listen to more country than anything else. My favorite band, however, has remained the same since freshman year of high school (it's Metallica, by the way haha).

11. Prodigy86

Prodigy86 New Member

Most definitely. When I was younger I was always into that rap that my brothers would blast, but as I got older I got into new styles, such as rock, punk, and hardstyle. I still listen to rap, but I'm the only one in my family that listens to the new styles I listed.

12. wolfpack55

wolfpack55 New Member

My music preferences changes quite frequently, but I don't think it has anything to do with age. I'll find a song that I like from a band and end up listening to many more of their songs until I find a new band to listen to. It's really any genre too, except Country. I'm not a huge fan of Country.

13. Darksoul

Darksoul New Member

Mine definitely did, back in the day I used to listen to things such as System of a Down, now I listen to Dubstep, Chillstep, Metal, Hip-Hop, Rap, and others. I like all genres of music, just certain ones I have more joy listening to.

14. SarahL

SarahL New Member

Great question! Honestly, my taste in music has evolved slightly, but I wouldn't say it has changed. I still listen to a lot of the same music as I did in high school. I am always looking for new bands to listen to, though. :)

15. Zulwarn

Zulwarn New Member

I can't necessarily say my taste in music has changed, but I have learned to definitely "open my mind" to more variety.

16. LKA71

LKA71 New Member

My preferences in music has basically remained the same having grown older. I have found that my taste is music has remained approximately the same in regards to genres. I have never been into Hip-hop, Rap, Country Music with a few Artists and Songs as exceptions, and have always had a distaste for Pop. There are a few Artists/Songs in these genres that rise above the rest, some with a rather piercing "ear worm" hook to them that will remain lodged in your head until heard again, but nothing has ever sparked a particular interest for me personally.
    What I have found over time is that my taste in the genres I am fond of has deepened. Finding new groups having taken influence from older groups. Finding older groups that have escaped me in my youth and enjoying them despite having been broken up or dead for decades.
    Overall, I have always remained open and interested to all music, every genre, shape and form that music comes in, but Pop Music is just horrible.

17. SamuraiWaffle

SamuraiWaffle New Member

Its actually a shame, I rarely listen to new music nowadays. When I was younger, I listened to the radio all day. Around the age of 13, I started playing guitar. at this point, I really began getting into punk music, which lead way to rock. Nowadays, my taste in music is so refined it takes something absolutely amazing for me to enjoy. I have to have crazy arpeggio sweeps and weird time signatures for it to catch my attention. Sadly, only heavy metal is what does this, and I can't stand their singers.

18. weekend

weekend New Member

Good question. Made me revisit the tunes I listened to when I was younger. I discovered only a couple bands really stuck with me through the ages. I can listen to old playlists and still get a kick out of them, but I wouldn't say I listen as closely as I did when I was a kid.

But the acts that did stay with me, will stay for ever. Marvin Gaye being my favorite. But add some Pet Shop Boys and The Cure, and that will be a playlist from today for me.

19. Fermín

Fermín New Member

Oh, it certainly did. When I was growing up I really really hated Uruguayan Pop Music (which despite the name has nothing to do with what Americans call Pop, it can be related more with Folk, and it has lots of influence from Bossa Nova, Jazz, Candombe, etc.). Now I can´t get enough of it.
    And I stopped listening to the Spice Girls (I didn´t say I don´t like them, though :p )

Karol552 likes this.
  20. Chris Wilding

Chris Wilding New Member

Definitely. When I was younger I didn't really have a preference in music at all which I think is healthy. I let everything wash over me from Broadway to Jazz and after a while I gravitated towards the stuff I really liked. Classic rock really helped shape who I am today and helped me cope with the harder times in life. The music of Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney and John Lennon have all had profound impacts on my coping with and understanding of life. I simply did not/could not appreciate this music or these artists when I was younger.

Karol552 likes this.
  21. Lokitns

Lokitns New Member

My taste in music has seemed to go backwards, as I got older. I started off listening to modern rock and alternative music that was from the era I was living in. And as I grew up, collectively I went backwards. I've really always have (and probably always will) be hung up on the 70's and 80's. Something about the fact that music was about something, makes me love it even more. Now-a-days you have music like.. Nicki Minaj, who just say you're a stupid hoe over and over again. I mean sure, a lot of music from the 70's or 80's is repetitive, but come on.

22. alethanpl

alethanpl New Member

I heard that the reason it seems like that is because only the best music is kept each generation. So the music we hear from the 70's or 80's is pretty much what weathered the test of time. There was a lot of bad music back then too, but it just doesn't seem like it so much because people haven't really had time to separate the bad music of today out yet. That's what causes older generations of music to seem so alluring. Dunno how much truth there is to it, but it seems solid to me. Then again, maybe I'm just trying to justify my love of Britney Spears and Lady Gaga.

23. josephfowler

josephfowler New Member

Taste definitely changes with maturity and age. I've found my tastes have grown more sophisticated as I get older. I now listen to things with more substance, as opposed to my former listening habits where I required there be a screaming guitar in every song.

24. Ian Burns

Ian Burns New Member

No I don't think your taste in music changes as you get older. I think everybody thinks the type of music that is best is whatever they experienced in their teenage years. For me that is electronic music from the 80's.

25. Ronnie

Ronnie New Member

I guess my taste in Music changed a little bit as I got older, but not alot.

26. hanneberries

hanneberries New Member

When I was younger, I enjoyed listening to all types of music, and all the time. But now that I've gotten older, honestly in the end it's come to the point where I barely listen to music at all anymore. It's weird, because I miss listening to music, but then whenever I try to listen to music again, it just doesn't really work for me. I'm not sure why, but I don't get the same feelings that I used to get from music in general anymore. It's a little sad, to be perfectly honest. I'm not sure what to do about it.

27. Megan Smith

Megan Smith New Member

Absolutly, I would definetly say as a child I listened to music more for the beat and if I could move to it. But, now as an adult I tend to like music I can relate to. Something the makes me feel good. I went from loud bring down the house music to soft emotional touch your heart kind of music.

28. Bubblybeer

Bubblybeer New Member

Yes. I mostly listen to the music I grew up with, 80s and 90s music that bring back good memories. When I want to discover new music, I look for the kind that's totally new to me, like Indie stuff or Reggaeton, which I only found out about a few years back.

29. Charles26

Charles26 New Member

My taste never changed. Still like 70s rock, some jazz and a little blues. Seems like today the music does not take as much talent to be a hit. Technology I guess has a lot to do with that

30. Heartglow

Heartglow New Member

I have noticed that my taste in music has changed as I've gotten older. When I was a teen I enjoyed soft rock, at that time it was considered just rock. When I had my own kids I was way too busy to listen to music at all. Then they grew up, I got divorced and finally had time to listen to music again. I turned on the radio and sicoverd smooth jazz, and it is my favorite genre now. I also love New Age and most instrumental styles.