Do you live to eat or eat to live?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Kasthuri, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kasthuri

Kasthuri New Member

I will shamelessly admit that I live to eat. Eating to survive life id not my cup of tea (pun intended). Who are you? Do you enjoy eating every bite of food or do you eat just to sustain life?

2. DN02

DN02 New Member

Sounds simple enough, but not really an easy question to answer :). I would say I'm neither and a bit of both! I certainly don't eat purely out of necessity to survive. I enjoy my food and love trying out new things. But I also don't believe in stuffing my mouth with any and everything. So, like I said, a bit of both :)

3. Shounenbat

Shounenbat New Member

I'm not much of an eater and never have been. If I'm in a snacky mood, I'll go ahead and eat, but for the most part I eat at meal time and not much else.

4. Firstly, the key terms are “eat to live” and “live to eat”. What do I mean when I say, “eat to live”? For me, this refers to the biological sense inherent in the concept. All humans need to eat in order to survive. Once you stop eating, you will die. To avoid this fate, you and I eat food and drink water. On the other hand, “living to eat”, is a concept that implies my eating is beyond and above my need to survive. My eating has nothing to do with my biological survival. I’m eating because of some other reason outside of simply staying alive. In sum, “eat to live” is a biological understanding whereas, “live to eat” is psychological, social, and emotional.

5. Gsaade204

Gsaade204 New Member

In the past i was living to eat, but i was fat. Now i changed my lifestyle, i eat when im hungry and know when to stop, no matter how delicious the food is.

6. BeastPerhaps

BeastPerhaps New Member

That's an easy one, it's both. While food is absolutely necessary (well calories are anyway (technicality)), it's freaking amazing and It makes me happy and eating just to sustain sounds very dull to me. If you can afford it, go to a high end restaurant and taste some high quality food. Then, you will understand what it means for food to spark memories and create wonderful moments in life that you can share with (bring a date, because you should) (p.s if you can't find one, take me) Also I recommend learning to cook, its an essential life skill and plus you get to be a total badass when showing off something you've made.

7. sexy

sexy New Member

I do both "living to eat" and " eating to live" I love food and I like trying new things, if it is food I'll try it unless I'm not allergic to it but I don't support over eating, we must control how much we eat and how often we eat. When we eat a lot all the time I don't think is healthy so we must enjoy food but have a limits on how much and how often we eat. I live to eat and also eat to live.

8. nishsarin

nishsarin New Member

Wow! what a tricky question but interesting as well. I eat to live. We are humans but after a deep thought, I feel our body is like any other machine. That's why we too face a lot of wear and tear and we have to overcome the dysfunction of our body that we face throughout our life.

Let me explain this fact. A vehicle whether a two wheeler or a four wheeler, has a fuel tank. We cannot fill fuel beyond its capacity. Same with the tyres, only a permissible level of air can be filled. We all know the result of over filling the tyre.

Now our body, we need energy to carry out our daily work. And our main source of energy is food. Healthy food is the most energy efficient food. If we overeat we feel lethargic and the extra energy in our body remains unused and results in the formation of fats in the body.

It is very difficult to get read of the fat. Hence we should eat to live and not live to eat.

9. Sarah B.

Sarah B. New Member

From what I gather, a whole buttload of millenials tend to be foodies - I am definitely one of those people. Since food is one of the luxuries most of us can afford, we'll splurge on some fancier fare. One of my greatest pleasures in life is chowing down on a well-prepared meal (or dessert. Yes, dessert, all the dessert). And honestly, if I had to choose between eating the same dull stuff every day (eat to live) and enjoying some variety (YOLO), I'll go with my impulses to spoil myself with something more indulgent. Life's too short to just sustain your body! Bring on the quasi-healthy-but-om-nom-nom-tasty!

10. Victor Oyebola

Victor Oyebola New Member

This sounds comical, I would not want to admit that I live to eat because any man that understands he's purpose will know that he's not living to be eating, infact Rick Warren wrote about this in his book "Purpose driven Life", infact the Holy book says 'Man shall not live by bread alone...' And to the other twist of the question, I'll admit that we eat to live because its whatever we eat that supplies energy and strength for sustainance.

11. nishsarin

nishsarin New Member

Wow! what a tricky question but interesting as well. I eat to live. We are humans but after a deep thought, I feel our body is like any other machine. That's why we too face a lot of wear and tear and we have to overcome the dysfunction of our body that we face throughout our life.

Let me explain this fact. A vehicle whether a two wheeler or a four wheeler, has a fuel tank. We cannot fill fuel beyond its capacity. Same with the tyres, only a permissible level of air can be filled. We all know the result of over filling the tyre.

Now our body, we need energy to carry out our daily work. And our main source of energy is food. Healthy food is the most energy efficient food. If we overeat we feel lethargic and the extra energy in our body remains unused and results in the formation of fats in the body.

It is very difficult to get read of the fat. Hence we should eat to live and not live to eat.

12. mogi

mogi New Member

:pin the past i lived to eat...meaning i ate because i was bored....didnt really need to eat that much...i realized that and now i do something else then eating when im bored...thst is why i only eat to live nowadays ;):speechless:

13. edz26

edz26 Member

I am certainly eat to live, I eat all variety of foods in moderation amount to achieve my optimal health. We usually eat to gain energy and to survive life challenges, it could be physical or mental. hmm...I don't live just to eat alone.

14. thoughtprovoker

thoughtprovoker New Member

I eat to live because I enjoy living a healthy lifestyle. Although I do eat whatever I want about one day a week, I follow a strict diet. I do this because I keep unhealthy carbs and fats out of my system to maintain a healthy heart and not lose my fit physique. I view food as fuel, and I have accepted that to be healthy every meal does not have to taste like the best thing I have ever eaten. A lot of people need every meal to be loaded with delicious flavor and they turn their nose up to healthy foods that can still be pretty tasty. People feel the need to load their food with salt and their drinks with sugar, where I choose less salt and less sugar. I am completely satisfied after my meals because I know how beneficial the meal is to my body.

15. Pooch2015

Pooch2015 New Member

I do both. Life's more enjoyable that way. I like to mix things up and be spontaneous. Still eat relatively health and not binge eat but I do enjoy what I eat.
    If I ate to live I would not have any enjoyment in other parts of my life.
    When I eat , and I have enjoyed my meal/snack, i am raring to go to go.

I feel everybody should do a bit of both...:)

16. Jaylaw

Jaylaw New Member

I eat to live because eating is one of the best feeling in the world than anything else.

1 person likes this.
  17. acejacob

acejacob New Member

We don't need to choose. It's part ofnour everyday lives. And that is tge reason why we are still breathing in this world. I have to earn for living so that I can eat something. And i need to eat three times a day so I can have the energy to earn for my living for me to live and stay alive. Our purpose in this world is just like a cycle of a food chain. We need to strive harder, we need to work everyday for us to our food. How can we provide our food or needs everyday if we don't earn or work for our living? We all be dead. Even ants do their responsibilities for them not to die while their stomach jeep on growling.

18. richardjohn999

richardjohn999 New Member

I hope you are an Indian
    Because we Indians use this phrase to tease others.........

I sure you are an Indian na..........

19. Lena888

Lena888 New Member

I used to live to eat but now I eat to live. I'm very happy to say that I have been eating a lot healthier and less then usual. I'm down 9 pounds in 3 weeks so you can say I'm doing pretty well in my weightloss journey. I also workout 3 days a week for an hour. We all know the weight is a lot easier to put on then take off. I'm always going to love food especially seafood, lol but now I know how to manage what and how much I eat.

20. MsClaverhouse

MsClaverhouse New Member

Honestly, I live to eat. Food is a simple pleasure and it should be enjoyed as such. Eat well and enjoy what you're eating. And if it doesn't nourish your body and mind, eat something else. Life is too short to eat terrible, joyless food.

21. NichoFern

NichoFern New Member

This topic hits home for me. I live to eat but am really trying to change that. I am not over weight, and work out regularly but know in the back of my mind I will not accomplish my goals unless I regulate my eating habits. The struggle is real, I enjoy eating food! I am considering the different fasting techniques, and eating only in a specified window of time every day. Does any one have any suggestions for a 27 year old male, with regular gym training and love of all things meat?