Do you prefer to go to the gym or workout at home?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by John Brett, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Sudarsan

Sudarsan New Member

I always wanted to have a mini gym of my own at home. I had a small extra unused room upstairs that I wanted to change into a gym. So, I cleared it out, stuck some posters of Arnold and Ronnie Coleman. Then I watched some videos of Mike Chang (his videos are extremely useful for weight loss!) and began my routine exercise. Everything went well for the first 3 days. Then on the fourth day, I started losing motivation. I was alone and didn’t have any friends who would come over at my place and work out with me. Then, my sister would always be calling me down for lunch or juice. So, it was really hard for me to concentrate on my exercise. In the end, I called it quits.

Then I joined a gym about 6 km far from my home. I admit that the trainer wasn’t so helpful, which often pissed me off; he’d always be teaching the girls. But I got to realize that although the trainer was of limited help to me, I got motivated to work out consistently. And now, I’m already on the track to reach my weight loss goal.

So, I prefer gym because I find myself compelled to sweat myself unlike at home where I can take rest whenever I want.

2. 707freelancer

707freelancer New Member

I prefer to workout at home. However, I believe that my workouts are longer and have more of an impact when I actually go to the gym. I believe that this is due to a combination of factors, including "wanting to get your monies worth" and the social pressures of being surrounded by people who are also working out at the same time.

3. pati613

pati613 New Member

i much rather workout at a gym than home. i feel like gym equitment will benifit me more than simple at home workouts.

4. msnicoled86

msnicoled86 New Member

I definitely prefer to go to the gym over working out at home. Working out in the gym gives me motivation. Listening to music and watching other people workout gives me that extra push. When I am at home I just want to be lazy and find reasons not to work out.

hoolaboy likes this.
  5. shoebox

shoebox New Member

I prefer to work out at home rather than go to a gym. I find it much cheaper and I focus much better than I would at a gym. The added expense of a gym membership and gas to get there is not worth it to me. I can choose to do weight lifting or Yoga in the comfort of my own living room or bedroom and not deal with other peoples sweat and germs.

6. josuemilan

josuemilan New Member

I prefer to work out at home due to privacy. The main reasons people go to the gym are to be around other people and the variety of equipment. I am a self sufficient person, so I can just buy a pull up bar and work out alone. I do not have to worry about sharing equipment at home. I also do body weight lifting, which is the same as lifting any other weight. It can be very efficient in working on symmetry. The only downfall is you have to do more work, if you just worked out using your own body weight. Now, if you have the equipment at your home things will go by much faster. It all depends on if you want to be watched in a social environment or not.

7. Zamininc

Zamininc New Member

It really depends on your goals. If you simply wish to lose some weight then yeah, you can workout at home and see good results. If you want to build muscle or get a decent amount stronger, then you're going to either need to sign up for a gym or buy potentially thousands of dollars worth of free weights. You can't simply get stronger without lifting heavier weights.

8. martinmmo

martinmmo New Member

I seem to be the opposite of most people, I would prefer to work out at home. I am a student and can not exactly have a home gym, so the only way for me to work it is at a gym, but I would prefer to work out at home. I seem to just randomly want to workout during the day, but I don't want to have to drive to the gym to workout. I also do not like that in a gym other people could be using equipment that you may need.

9. Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds New Member

i just do some jumping jacks or jog a bit. mostly at home or outside

10. Chulda

Chulda New Member

I probably would never have gotten into the whole gym business if not for my best friend. He started off thin as a stick, just like me, and now, two years later, he's a bloody monster! Not that I want to look like him... It's just that the gym is a great way for us to meet regularly. We're adults now, we need to work to keep the friendship going.

The equipment is helpful too, although I mostly do bodyweight exercises, so with even a slight investment I could easily perform my routine at home. Still, the gym is a good excuse to leave my cave. It's quite... therapeutic.

11. Sara Christenson

Sara Christenson New Member

I prefer to just workout at home rather than pay for an expensive gym membership. There are lots of great workouts that require little to no equipment, making it much cheaper! Besides, I would rather go for a run in the great outdoors than on a treadmill in a stuffy gym.

12. buzi

buzi New Member

Working out at home is way more practical. I get up, step on my crosstrainer and off we go. No driving to the gym, no preparation... Though I go there from time to time, when I feel like having an aerobic class within a group! Dancing in a group is so much fun! My studio has a swimmingpool as well, that´s very convenient.

13. Working out is a great way to maintain fitness. I, personally, prefer to workout at home due to two reasons. Firstly, it is more convenient to do your workout routine at home. No need to waste time going to the gym and sometimes lining up to use the treadmill. Once you have decided to workout, you can begin right away. Secondly, you have the privacy you don't get in a gym.

If you value your health and want to stay fit, you may do your workout at a gym or at home.

14. mishalgovani

mishalgovani New Member

I prefer going to the gym. It gives me a chance to take a break at the end of a long day and detach. Its also conveniently close and obviously more equipped than my house would ever be. The only issue is waiting for other people to finish but its a lesson in patience as well I guess

15. Andreagolson33

Andreagolson33 New Member

I don't agree. My life is about convenience. If it's not convenient I won't do it. Working out at home or outside in my neighborhood has consistently been a more successful plan for me - not to mention less expensive!

16. Ashley Jernigan

Ashley Jernigan New Member

I prefer the gym atmosphere to workout in. It helps me to be surrounded by other people who are also working on their goals of getting fit. I use their energy as motivation to continue though my own workout most of the time. It is much easier to finish reps when I can look around and see other people struggling, it motivates me to know that if they can finish their reps, then so can I!

17. Laura Pfeiffer

Laura Pfeiffer New Member

I love working out at home. Especially now that I have a toddler that I have to coordinate workouts around as well.

18. MissMelaknee

MissMelaknee New Member

I do enjoy working out at home. The outdoors in the summer time is great for getting into shape! When winter comes around and the snow starts to pile up along with the layers of clothes, activities move inside. Working out at home gets awkward...The ceiling fan gets in the way and the movement makes the rest of the house shake. I really have to use both. If it was always hot and sunny in the midwest I would never need to buy a gym membership.:cool:

cristoredenthor likes this.
  19. cwilson

cwilson New Member

I opt to work out at home. I don't like spending the money to use a gym when I can get a good workout from home. I feel that I can concentrate better when I'm not worrying about what other people are doing. I like to run as well, and running on a treadmill can be so boring. When you run outside, the whole world is your gym--and you get fresh air, too.

cristoredenthor and MissMelaknee like this.
  20. Sneakerchief

Sneakerchief New Member

I would like the best of both worlds but the gym is more practical for me. I get the motivation I need from my gym buddies. I go hard when a new piece of equipment comes home but in no time I lose my momentum. When your momentum is lost it's hell to get going again at home alone with a few pieces of equipment staring at you.

Many times even with the gym a few missed days can quickly turn into weeks or even a month. Sometimes these missed days can be influenced by fatigue or can even be a financial strain. The only major difference is that you will always have someone in your clique who's going strong and will urge you to get back on track.

cristoredenthor likes this.
  21. Minhq604

Minhq604 New Member

For me, I have to go to the gym simply because I don't have the equipment to lift at home. These equipment include machines, weights, bar/rack, benches and the treadmill. In my opinion, going to the gym gives some form of motivation by seeing other people exercise as well. In addition, my friends go to the same gym that I go to and it's more fun to work out with them. For these reasons, I prefer to go to the gym.

22. Jamescom

Jamescom New Member

Although I have lifetime membership at a reputable gym, I prefer to exercise at home because of the horrible traffic it takes to get to that gym. Also I have high standards for gyms and first on my list is cleanliness, if the gym is unhygienic, it's an automatic no-no for me.

niit18_jag likes this.
  23. JoaoMartelo

JoaoMartelo New Member

I really enjoy to workout out the walls, feel the fresh air and at the same time appreciate the nature. So, not at the gym or home :p

24. Smartglaxx

Smartglaxx New Member

I tried working out at home but was discouraged because of the wrong results I was getting. For example, my calves where nowhere as big as my thighs. So now I've registered with a local gym. In a few weeks, I'll be able to tell if it's working. I'm certain it will because the coaches really know their onions.

25. crissy

crissy New Member

I prefer to work out at home simply because it requires less preparation. I can just be in my pajamas, no need to dress up. I just put on my rubber shoes, spread the exercise mat and there, I could start my routines immediately. Also, when at the gym, there are times when in the middle of a routine, one of your gym mate would just started talking to you, asking something, it takes you out of the momentum.

I do follow Jillian Michaels in youtube, her routines were great and it is actually effective for me.

26. TGL

TGL New Member

I'm very self-conscious when I go to the gym because I feel like everyone is watching me or judging me. I know this isn't true, as I'm sure gym-goers have better things to do with their time than judge little old me on the treadmill, but I find that I'm more likely to work out at home (now that we have a treadmill and workout equipment) because I don't have the excuse that anybody is watching me. I do have a hard time staying consistent though.

27. morganlhoooper

morganlhoooper New Member

I prefer to work out at home. I do not have to worry someone watching me and judging what I do. I am currently doing P90X workouts in the comfort of my home and I really enjoy doing it by myself. It is also much cheaper than paying monthly or yearly memberships for a gym.

28. johnsonteri520

johnsonteri520 New Member

І рrеfеr wоrkіng оut аt hоmе sіmрlу bесаusе іt's сhеареr аnd еаsіеr. Тhоugh оf соursе раrt оf thе rеаsоn whу іs bесаusе thеrе аrе tіmеs whеn І'd bе ехtrеmеlу lаzу, І fіnd wоrkіng оut аt hоmе tо bе еffісіеnt аs уоu саn usе thіngs уоu fіnd аt hоmе аs уоur ехеrсіsе еquірmеnts suсh аs соuсhеs аnd сhаіrs. Yоu саn аlsо dесіdе оn уоur оwn tіmе whеn уоu wаnt tо wоrk оut.

Вut thеrе іs, оf соursе а dоwnsіdе tо wоrkіng оut аt hоmе. Ѕіnсе уоu dоn't hаvе а strісt sсhеdulе tо fоllоw lіkе whеn уоu'rе іn а gуm, уоu соuld wаkе uр оnе dау аnd nоt fееl lіkе wоrkіng оut аnd уоu'd kеер оn dеlауіng уоur wоrk оut sеssіоn thаt соuld lеаd tо асtuаllу nоt wоrkіng оut аt аll. Рlus whеn уоu'rе іn а gуm, thеrе's а trаіnеr lооkіng аftеr уоu аnd hеlріng уоu wіth уоur ехеrсіsеs аnd wеіght gаіn/lоss. Вut fоr mе, І guеss wоrkіng оut аt hоmе іs bеst bесаusе уоu'rе mоrе соmfоrtаblе аt hоmе аnd іt's undоubtеdlу сhеареr thаt wау.

29. fredwel talaga

fredwel talaga New Member

There is a lot of thing I consider when I work out. First is focus, I want to focus on what I am doing it means no distractions. Second is equipment, every muscle in our body has a certain type of equipment to use in order to obtain a better result. Third is having an exercise partner or group. For me doing work out at home makes a lot of distractions like TV, computers, cats and dogs. Having complete equipment targets a certain groups of muscles, doing bench pressing and dumbbells don’t give you a six packs abs. Group exercise is encouraging and it’s fun to socialize with other people with the same goal, to become physically fit.

30. kriegersan

kriegersan New Member

Working out at home proved to be less effective for me, because there are too many distractions involved, and I tend to easily lose focus or motivation, and also because I don't own enough equipment for a full body workout. Going to the gym works better, and I have a completely different mindset there compared to home training. I think it's really important to work out in a place where you can focus only on your routine.