Do you prefer to go to the gym or workout at home?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by John Brett, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Steffy

Steffy New Member

Gym. If I work out at home, well, it's obvious nothing will happen. I enjoy going to the gym more because I can see that I'm not alone. I've always had a strange stigma that only fit people go to the gym; it's not true, of course, except that they just become fit because they're more dedicated. I recently became a member of the gym near my office, and it's nice to see that people of all shapes and sizes go there too. It's a great confidence booster.

2. Anselmo Vargas

Anselmo Vargas New Member

I prefer to work put at a gym. For me being in the environment itself makes me work out harder. The problem i have with working out at home is getting into the routine of actually working out. It is so easy to just push it off and not get it done. That is why once I step into the gym, that work out is as good as done.

3. mrkylece23

mrkylece23 New Member

I used to workout all the time at home but i began to lose motivation..Ever since I went to the gym i regained my motivation.. I was around alot of people who were doing the same as I, Getting in shape, Some people can focous alone, I can only once in a while , But being around people motivates me more for some reason.

4. Ugobest

Ugobest New Member

Certainly, working out at the gym is expensive but worth it. You get better results and motivation as well. You don't have the machines you find in the gym at home for isolated exercises. And certainly they are expensive to buy and keep at home. I think working out at home is not really worth it for some people because, they only do few exercises for a little time and loose the interest and drive to continue. But at the gym it is easier.

5. axelll1221

axelll1221 New Member

I always prefer the gym cause if you have to make the trip there you kinda feel obligated to your self to at least try but if try to workout home you always find excuses to delay the workout or even skip it.

6. Courtallie95

Courtallie95 New Member

I would rather work out at home. Your right about having more of a push to work out if you have to get out of the house to do it, especially if you're paying for it. For me, personally, I always feel insecure when I go to the gym. I am constantly comparing myself to the other women working out just a few feet away from me. This always makes me feel worse than if I was at home doing it on my own. I would suggest finding a partner to push you to work out, though. My boyfriend and I have started working out at home together, and it is so much easier to keep at it.

7. Angel JMore

Angel JMore New Member

Absolutely, home base for my exercises. The time consumed in preparing to go to the gym and going there which can take anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes for people like me can be converted into actual minutes for burning calories and cardio improvement. That same time is precious for busy folks like me who have to squeeze in exercise in their toxic schedules.
    I also don't have to worry about stuff like what to wear,what moves to make and so on. In short, I have my own exercise world at home which enables me to enjoy those Zumba and kick boxing moves for a healthier and slimmer me:).

8. Hendrol

Hendrol New Member

I prefer to workout in the gym. I go to the gym with a friend and he helps me to stay motivated, which is very important when trying to get in shape. I think that working out at home might be a good option for people who are very busy and don't have time to go to the gym.

9. Savannah Ozier

Savannah Ozier New Member

I prefer to go to the gym an work out. Working out at home isn't a problem but it is a little uncomfortable because I am the only one doing it. At the gym I feel more motivated to work out because there are others around me who are doing the same thing and I won't fell like I am being stared at the whole time. I do work out at home more often though because I can't afford to go to a gym, so when I do work out I get up early enough to doing when I know on one is around and then I feel more comfortable, but it is still a bit difficult because no one is doing it with me. Overall, gyms are great and I am glad that they were created. When I get the chance I will most likely get myself a membership so that I can enjoy working out more.

10. Tommy Rizzla

Tommy Rizzla New Member

I am lucky and have a super sweet gym I have in my house. I much prefer to use my gym as opposed to going to the local gym. I have a pretty busy schedule so I save a lot of time in doing this. Also I have lots of friends that will come over to my home gym and we all work out together so its like I have the best of both worlds. I just love the equipment that I have and never have to fiddle with the settings and everything is up to my level. Also I do not have to wear headphones and I can blast whatever music that I want to listen to. Also just do not have to deal with sketchy ripped gym rats.

11. katship17

katship17 New Member

I have tried many times to work out from home, but I just can't motivated when working out alone. I have tons of equipment in my garage that basically just sits there. I do go to a Crossfit gym, where I enjoy being in the company of other motivating, supportive athletes.

12. adwilk1218

adwilk1218 New Member

Working out at home is preferable to me, because I live out in the country and hate the travel time, plus I would rather be home with my children. However, when I go to a gym, I tend to work out harder and for longer.

13. DCriss

DCriss New Member

There is something about going to the gym that just puts me in another zone. I like to leave my house as a peaceful place and the gym as a place where I put in work. Overall I believe it is a mindset thing and everyone should do what works for them. If I can't make it to the gym I will do something at home because I believe that is better than nothing.

14. Omondieve

Omondieve New Member

I prefer working out at home. I have plenty of workout videos from the internet. I like doing the routine at my own pace. To be honest, I don't like working out at the gym because everyone else looks so fit and it feels like I'm being judged for being unfit :D. The worst part is that I've paid my annual subscription at the gym. Now I'm feeling guilty!

15. btay415

btay415 New Member

I would rather workout at home. There are no fees at home if you just want to ride a bicycle around town then go for it. There's probably a bicycle in the closet you could get a good hour on if you wanted. It is free and doesn't cost you outrageous fees to use their equipment when you can buy it for cheap and only a one time fee. It is way easier since you don't have to commute to the gym and then back. It saves you time and money.

16. B3rnieMac

B3rnieMac New Member

I had a gym membership for years, it was through my university and was quitet cheap for students. I would go before class in the morning, the place was deserted and there was no waiting about to use certain machines or equipment.

Once I graduated the price increased dramatically. I was only able to get to the gym after work, which is when everyone else goes! My gym sessions involved more waiting about than actual exercise, so I cancelled it. I go out on my bike now, or go running. I'm just as fit but have more money these days!

17. Hkerm

Hkerm New Member

The gym is certainly a better fit for me. At home I am easily distracted and don't have the equipment necessary for me to really work out. It may be that all the people at the gym are working out, so I feel the push to workout as well, or just that the gym has all this equipment that could make me lose 20 pounds that convinces me that the gym is better. Some people prefer working out at home because you can do it at anytime, no excuses, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of mindset.

18. LAmey14

LAmey14 New Member

I much prefer to work out at home as a room full of people makes me nervous. I love to do work out videos at my own pace at home!

19. yvonnec210

yvonnec210 New Member

If I decide to workout again I prefer to workout at home where I am comfortable plus gyms are too expensive or crowded. I have learned that walking is just as beneficial as working out in gym either way my body is moving. Lately I have begun walking around my neighborhood and it has been quite relaxing.

20. strawberrydollar

strawberrydollar New Member

Have an elliptical and weights at home. I like to exercise in the privacy of my own home. I never felt comfortable in crowds and working out is something I find personal. I also like to run and go to my local trail to do that. Walking also on the days I am not up for a harder challenge. Working and making time to drive to a gym is also another reason I choose to just go home and exercise.

21. Gabino Tapia

Gabino Tapia New Member

I prefer to work out at the gym. By working out at the gym I tend to not get distracted because I know that I am there for a reason and I gain some energy rather than being home and just wanting to stop my workout after 10 minutes. I go to my local YMCA and they have a program called Fitlinxx which keeps track of how long one works out and one can gain rewards by getting points.

22. starfish

starfish New Member

I prefer to work out at home because it is much more likely that I will actually stick to a workout schedule. If I have to get dressed for a gym, I am much less likely to do it. Sometimes I just make a playlist on my iPhone and start dancing! I know it sounds silly, but I have lost nearly 15 pounds already! Swimming and dancing are my home exercises of choice.

23. terra17

terra17 New Member

It's always nice to have the option to go to the gym just because it puts your focus on what you're doing - I love my setup at home but it's all too easy to get distracted by chores or the cats running around causing trouble underfoot!

24. rawshark

rawshark New Member

I prefer working out at home. I don't have any equipment or anything, so I can just do full body resistance and not worry about switching stations or anything. Working out at home also means that you can go for a run whenever you want.

25. Tiggers39

Tiggers39 New Member

At one point, I preferred working out at the gym, but now I prefer working out at home. When I had a personal trainer, I would mainly lift weights. I rarely did cardio. I had decent success losing weight, but I still had problems hiking. I love hiking. One of the main reasons I wanted to lose weight was so I could do hikes to pretty places and take pictures, but I still needed to stop and take breaks on all the hills. I ended up giving up on my weight loss journey. A year and a half ago, I started working out at home using YouTube videos and DVDs from the library. A year ago, I started doing Beachbody workouts. I am now improving so much in my hiking. I love Beachbody!

26. Vivi3030

Vivi3030 New Member

I would prefer to workout at home, but I live in an apartment and that would require me to have space for a power rack! I intend to build a power rack myself once I have a space and the tools necessary. In the meantime, I workout at my apartment gym, which is less than ideal due to lack of safety bars.

27. babyprincess

babyprincess New Member

Sometimes the bourgies who live on beachfront property will throw out their perfectly fine home gym equipment on bulk trash pickup day, so sometimes I liberate it from their lawns and take it home. I have a ski machine, weight set, and stationary bike that I've acquired this way. It's cheaper than going to the gym and I can watch anime in my underwear while working out.

28. candykanex3

candykanex3 New Member

I always feel awkward working out in front of people because of my social anxiety. So yeah definitely home. :p

29. USPS

USPS New Member

Do you have a home gym or do you mostly do calesthenics and the like?

I have social anxiety too, and I wish I had the equipment to work out at home. As it is I have to go out 3 times a week to go to the gym, but at least I figured out the emptiest times so it really isn't that bad, specially since I go to a gym that is open in the middle of the night.

30. msjesscxo

msjesscxo New Member

I prefer to work out at home. I have a six year old and the only way to work out uninterrupted is while he is sleeping, either early in the morning or at night. It is also hard to find time to make a trip to the gym having a kid. I recently discovered how many people post at-home work out videos and clips online that I can follow along with. I typically use YouTube or Instagram. The workouts don't require a lot of equipment also making it cheaper than a gym membership.