Do you read for pleasure, or just when you have to?

Discussion in 'Books' started by TheCount16, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheCount16

TheCount16 New Member

Many people don't like reading in their leisure time. Were it up to them, they would never read a book in their entire lives. These type of people only read when they have to, which is, mainly, when they have to study.
    Many others, on the other hand, are avid readers. They are in the habit of reading everyday and, sometimes, reading is all they do.
    Which type of reader do you think you are? Do you consider yourself an avid reader, and occasional reader, o a non-reader?

2. maryssmaricar

maryssmaricar Member

I think it's both. I read if I feel like reading and if I love the book that I'm having. I'm slowly bringing back my reading habits because I want to widen my scope of information.

3. Fartytester21

Fartytester21 Member

I'm in between avid reader and occasional, there are days where I can read half of a book in just one sitting and days that I'll continue the next pages only if I felt doing.

I think it depends on what kind of books you're into. For me its all about tech things and how to kind of books that I can read almost the whole day.

4. Payness

Payness New Member

I always love to read for pleisure. Since I was a little kid, reading's always been my hobby for it let me learn a lot of new things, let me feel different kinds of emotions and make me see things in life differently, reading somehow trained me how to think outside the box. And if there is only one thing earth allows us to do, I will always pick reading.

5. Shai12

Shai12 New Member

Before when I was a kid I really love reading just to pleasure but now because of hectic sched I barely read a single book.

6. Smoz

Smoz New Member

I used to only read when I was told because that is what the school system taught me. After high school, I found myself reading more and more for leisure because of my push to read this book called The Hobbit. I absolutely loved the Lord of the Rings movies but never got to reading the books. I had heard so much about them but their thick lore and long chapters scared me away. I decided that I would read the smallest of T.R. Tolkien's books and that would ease me into the world of reading and boy did it. I now can't see my life without picking up a book every day.

7. gobbledygook

gobbledygook Member

I rarely read now that I'm getting older. Now that I'm married, a big list of pending books to read has started piling up. I also have this bad habit of stopping reading halfway and this happens whenever I read something classic. Maybe it's just not for me. I lean more on the fantasy side.

I do read for pleasure. Also, when I have lots of time to kill or just when I'm bored and have nothing left to do.

8. angeloflight

angeloflight Member

I am book worm . I read a lot of books on whatever genre. Way back in high school I read romance and history books. During college days I read my books for school . But now that I don't have to study anymore I read almost anything. To me , I read for pleasure. Learning from it is of course a bonus. Since I don't go out much, I read to entertain myself. Reading is more fun because I share it with my daughter. I am showing her that reading is always fun.

9. angelinepenaflor

angelinepenaflor New Member

I never read just because I have too. Ever since I was given a reading project in High School, I got hooked up. I really enjoy reading romances and sci-fi books. Whenever I read, I feel like I enter the world that I read. I feel like I am not only a part of the story, I feel like the story I read. Most times, I put up this idea that one day, I'll have beautiful stories just like what I read in books. The intricate details in every story make me want to read more. A 350 paged book is just an 8-hour read for me.

10. pceug17

pceug17 Member

I read because I love to engage with the different stories inside the book. So I guess I am reading for pleasure.

11. prexv

prexv Member

Honestly, it depends on my mood. Sometimes, I would sit down and get ready to finally read something I've been wanting to read but my busy schedules has been stopping me from doing it. Then other times, if I'm bored and got nothing else to do, I would try to find something to read whether it a novel or comics to pass time.

12. Iahhel127

Iahhel127 New Member

Pleasure.
    Imagine yourself living a life full of exciting adventure,go to places that you wanted or fall in-love with this wonderful guy! That is what readings gives me! It creates doors where i can go into and explore every time i turn the pages.
    Reading can also add knowledge,teach you new things in life.

13. postmakertay27

postmakertay27 New Member

I totally read for fun. I don't read as much as I used to, but end up reading at least two articles or stories a day just out of habit. People who don't like to read probably only feel that way because they haven't read anything that really caught their attention.

Iahhel127 likes this.
  14. Abumalik

Abumalik New Member

Reading is like something in my blood and I can not live without it. It is like food and drink that you can not do without. Reading is a basic part of daily events that I do not consider leisure.

15. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Reading for pleasure to support the engagement and motivation of learners. Reading for pleasure means any reading that is primarily for enjoyment. ... Similarly, fiction is often considered to be read for pleasure – but may also be read for academic study.
    In addition to the health benefits, reading for pleasure has social benefits and can improve our sense of connectedness to the wider community. Reading increases our understanding of our own identity, improves empathy and gives us an insight into the world view of others.

16. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

The research finds that reading for pleasure can result in increased empathy, improved relationships with others, reductions in the symptoms of depression and dementia, and improved wellbeing.
    The relationship between reading for pleasure and wellbeing is particularly interesting, with evidence showing a correlation between reading for pleasure regularly and lower levels of stress and depression. Reading also seems to reduce the risk of dementia, with frequent readers having lower incidence of dementia in later life.

17. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Our research report specifically shows that the benefits of reading are more likely to be felt when reading takes place through free choice. The outcomes of reading will occur more often and more strongly if reading is enjoyable in the first instance. This is why the 'for pleasure' element of reading for pleasure is so important.
    Reading is not just something that children should do in school; it needs to be an everyday part of our lives, something we choose to do at all ages. This is why The Reading Agency runs programmes to encourage reading for all age groups; we are there for people throughout their reading journey.

18. Bri1567

Bri1567 New Member

Honestly, I only read when I have to. Although this might seem bad, it is really not because I am constantly reading. I could not survive if I did not know how to read. I always wish that I could have the pleasure of reading a book. I think the problem is that I could never could find a book that I am interested in. Also, my least favorite subject in school was English. I never really liked reading the books that were mandatory in high school. I feel like that is one of the reasons why I do not like to read for pleasure. I really wish that I could enjoy reading for pleasure though. Maybe one day I will but for now I only read if I have to.

19. Dresa

Dresa New Member

I have been an avid reader since I was four years old. I find myself able to easily get lost in a book, translating the words in such a way that it's similar to a movie or TV show to my brain. I also read very fast so I am always on the hunt for new authors with a deep catalog. I like fantasy, romance, science fiction and action genres.

20. I consider myself an avid reader. From the moment I learned to read, I’ve never stopped! I’d be in my room for days just reading and it won’t bother me. Give me books in an isolated island and I’d live. I always find it nice to be in different places, meet different kind of people and hear different kind of stories without me moving an inch away from my house! Sometimes, I even prefer reading than watching because it seems like my imagination justifies the book better.

21. rickyfax

rickyfax Member

Neither of it, I read whenever I want. Reading enhances our brain. The more you read, the more knowledge you acquire.

22. yssachwan

yssachwan Member

I read mostly for my own pleasure. I don't see the point of trying to cram something I'm not entirely interested with. I've been there, done that and I learned nothing. The best way of learning something is to take pleasure in it.

23. leradj001

leradj001 Member

I balance both reading for pleasure and reading to learn something new but mostly I read because I it piqued my interest on an important topic.

24. Pen29

Pen29 Member

I only read books when after I watched a movie and got my interest or attention knowing that it has a book story. I read because I am curious and expecting to get broader information about the movie I recently watched.

25. joanbuslon

joanbuslon Member

I read books when I want to or when I want to relax my mind. I love reading books when you are at the beach or just sitting in one corner of your room. Books especially Sidney Sheldon's novel widens my vocabulary. I don't know for others but for me, it actually helps me every day.

26. gallowayr

gallowayr New Member

For me, my habits have changed quite a bit over my life. When I was a kid, I read voraciously. I even got in trouble in middle school for trying to read during a class I didn't like. However, once I hit high school I stopped almost completely. Even school books I rarely read since I could lean on resources such as Sparknotes. I started to read a little bit more in college, but still usually found myself zoning out to Netflix or drinking with friends in most of my spare time. Since graduating, though, I have found myself reading for pleasure much more often. I am drawn to heavier fiction such as that found in John Grisham's novels, as well as some non-fiction books on economics and politics.

27. nicegentleman

nicegentleman New Member

I am an avid reader. The only way to gain immense knowledge is by reading all the time. It's important to read at least 10 books each year. That way, you learn a ton of new insights. Reading is what has allowed me to become a wiser man.

28. Seriphif

Seriphif Member

I would consider myself an avid reader. This was not always the case. I have always liked books but as I became a teenager I read less and less til a few years past after college. I started reading again in my late twenties, but only a little here and there. Then in my mid thirties I refused to pay for overpriced satellite tv and viola, instantly I was back to reading. I love audiobooks the best, as it allows me to complete many other task while satisfying my need to finish the story.
    I read everyday that I can, which is almost everyday of the week. With the convenience of audiobooks I am able to read several books at a time and in a day. I absolutely love reading and I could kick myself for all the years and money I wasted. I will read forever now.

29. indigoralon

indigoralon New Member

I used to read all the time as a child. It was all I would do. I loved to get lost in fantasy books.

Nowadays, I've fallen out of the habit. I generally only read books when I have to for college. Every once in a while, I'll pick up a book of poetry or something non-fiction. I do want to start reading again, though. It's a magical thing to be able to expand your knowledge, explore different worlds, and experience new emotions and ideas.

30. claraysabel

claraysabel New Member

I am not a massive bookworm but I do enjoy reading from time to time. I see reading as a way to pass the time while keeping myself entertained.

I mostly read for pleasure since I love getting immersed in the story of the books I read. I am always interested to read a good book.