Do you skip dinner to lose weight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Soappy, May 23, 2014.

1. cheesecakes

cheesecakes New Member

Skipping meals is definitely not the right way to go about losing weight. It will actually make you less healthy. Rather than skipping meals, you could try eating smaller portions, and eating healthier foods for each of your meals. Even snacks are perfectly fine, as long as they're healthy snacks like fruit. It's all about moderation and consistency.

2. LindseyW91

LindseyW91 New Member

Skipping meals has always had a negative effect on my body! A really great thing to try would be juicing! I would recommend it to anybody, fruit or veg juices its really easy and they taste amazing and there's no breakdown in your stomach you are just getting all the goodness of whatever it is you juice and helps speed up your metabolism too!! Look it up! You can also do a juice reboot, which is hard to stick to at first but you will definitely shed some pounds healthily and feel great too...

3. Alibali780

Alibali780 New Member

Skipping meals if not what you want to do. Learn how to eat healthy and treat your body with respect and it will thank you for doing so. Protein, vegetables, and water are 3 main ingredients of a healthy diet.

4. Andrea Sanders

Andrea Sanders New Member

Never! When I get home from a day of work and rush hour traffic, eating a good dinner is one of the best mood boosters for me. I do a lot of brown rice and salads, lean meats like chicken or pork loin and only the ocasional frozen pizza :) Skipping dinner is not a tactic that is worth it for me.

5. jaboe2004

jaboe2004 New Member

I tried the "skipping meal" method and actually gained weight. I found myself eating more when I did get around to eating, than just eating the recommended 5-6 small meals a day. When I did start to eat 6 small meals with 30 minutes of exercise, I quickly started to see the results I longed for.

6. katt_savage

katt_savage New Member

I don't skip dinner, I just stop eating after 7:00pm.

7. anjani_009

anjani_009 New Member

I don't believe in a "3 meals per day" diet, I use IIFYM (if it fits your macros) to lose weight and it helps. IIFYM basically means you can eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your macros (carbs, fat and protein). I never eat breakfast, because it makes me feel nauseated and hungry. So I only eat lunch and dinner with a snacks in between. You can calculate the amount of calories you can eat per day and when you know your calories you can calculate the numbers of your macros. I lost 8 kilos with this method in 6 months so far. I didn't really work out, but I noticed that I lost weight faster when I did.

8. Lana

Lana New Member

Sometimes I do; it's a great way to loose weight! I usually have some fruits and plenty of water after 7 p.m.

muzaza likes this.
  9. prettyinpink13

prettyinpink13 New Member

I try to not skip any meals. Skipping a meal actually lowers your metabolism making weight loss hard. What I have seen suggested is to eat smaller meals throughout the day of healthy foods to help keep your metabolism up and exercising regularly will help lose weight.

10. firefelix

firefelix New Member

I think the best way to look at losing vs gaining weight is to forget the idea of eating 3 meals a day, but rather count the amount of calories you're expending vs consuming (i would recommend using a calorie counter of your choice or a diary). Eating less then your expending will cause you to lose weight, and vice versa. Once you stop the idea that we need 3 meals a day, you will find that eating slowly throughout the day is the best way to lose or gain weight (at least from my experience!)

11. mizoguchi98

mizoguchi98 New Member

Read up on intermittent fasting. I've been doing it a bit in combination with keto and it's been working wonders for me. The idea is to limit your eating to a certain window (e.g. 6 hours) and fast for the rest of the day. I like to have two meals 6 hours apart, which can be a bit like skipping dinner in one sense, and the results are unquestionable. You can check Google for more information if you're interested.

12. SPWhitlow

SPWhitlow New Member

You can choose to skip dinner, or other meals, or choose not too. The best thing to do for weight loss is to find the amount of calories you need to take in throughout the day to maintain your current weight, and eat under that. Around 300-500 calories is the general recommended amount to start off with, however, some people choose to go even more under that.

13. Singer

Singer New Member

Skipping dinner is not the answer to losing weight. From my experience, the best way to keep the metabolism going is to have frequent times of eating a small amount of food. This process will keep the body from going into 'starvation mode' which will eventually lead to a build-up of fat reserves rather than a reduction of fat. So, I vote for the dinner meal to continue. I have personally lost 30 pounds as of today, and look forward to seeing the reduction continue.

14. cdm1689

cdm1689 New Member

You might find The 8 Hour Diet helpful. While I don't adhear to everything presented in the book, most of it seems to make sense. It is basically a routine to maximize metabolism. Other than basic healthy substitutions, you don't change much other than the amount of time during the day that you allow youself to consume calories.

15. Teina12345

Teina12345 New Member

I never skip dinner to lose weight because on the off chance that your body isn't getting enough sustenance, it starts to store the fat. Your digestion system likewise eases off to hold vitality. This is frequently called "starvation mode". You can lose some weight, however when this happens you wind up consuming a ton all the more later on in the day. The weight you lost will simply return.

Keep on eatting three suppers for every day and two solid snacks in case you're viewing calories and need to build your digestion system. It's likewise suggested that you consume five or six littler dinners amid the day. More diminutive parts are better processed and utilized by your body. Consuming a generally proportioned supper of tree grown foods, vegetables and lean meats keeps your digestion system in high apparatus.

muzaza likes this.
  16. presleigh15

presleigh15 New Member

No, skipping meals is never a good idea. The best way to lose weight is to eat healthy meals and/or smaller portions. You should primarily eat healthy foods such as fruit and vegetables, but if you just cannot give up unhealthy foods such as desserts, you should just limit the amount of sweets that you eat. It is also a good idea to eat six small meals a day, rather than three large meals. In addition to eating properly, you should also workout regularly. By doing this, you will begin to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and in turn lose weight without skipping meals.

17. nomadbird

nomadbird New Member

I believe that not eating at night helps your belly to disapear. Not skipping the dinner though. You may always eat a nice plate of vegetables which I love. Being fit does not mean to wander hungry, on the opposite, we should always eat some healthy food. I find fatty food gross, star avoiding them, you will see the difference.

18. geri09

geri09 New Member

Instead of skipping dinner I would suggest skipping carbohydrates at dinner, low-carb diets are proven to help loose twice as much weight and belly fat. Add a good source of protein and include generous amounts of healthy fats. Drink lots of water.

If your gaining around the waist it might also be because of too much salt intake. Too much salt causes water retention and therefor cause noticeable weight gain. If you like salty foods like I do try replacing it with a healthy alternative like pink himalayan salt which have a lot of great health benefits.

19. drumminggirl

drumminggirl New Member

Skipping dinner or any other meal is a really bad idea and will not workout the way you hope. With skipping dinner you only get more and more hungry and then you're going to eat late night snacks which is very bad for you. I'm not a professional or anything but I would recommend to you diner slower and stop when you've eaten enough and try to avoid snacks between different meals and don't eat fried things. Eating right, exercising and running will definitely help with creating a flat stomach. Good luck!

20. Aleyah

Aleyah New Member

Skipping any meal doesn't improve weight loss. When it comes to eating dinner, you shouldn't skip dinner but eat your meal at an earlier time than normal. If you'd normally eat dinner at 8:00 p.m, change it to 7:00 or 6:00 in the evening. The purpose of this is to train your mind & body to know when it can get food & when it may have extra room but can go without seconds.

21. waunr

waunr New Member

You should never skip meals to loose weight. That is a terrible way to drop pounds. You don't want to deprive your body of the proper nutrients. You're just going to be sick if you make that a habit. You should keep eating meals throughout the day. What you don't want to do is too much of the wrong things. Eat grilled chicken breasts, fruit, and salad. All you have to do is get out and burn calories. Any shortcut is going to hurt you more than help you. Burning calories is the only way to get smaller. You need to count your calories from here on out. Count the calories you're burning, and count the calories you're taking in. All you have to do if not be lazy for a few months. You will begin to get used to it after a while.

22. radooqu

radooqu New Member

Skipping dinner, or any of the three meals by that matter, no. Having your meals earlier in the day, including dinner, and going to sleep on an empty stomach, that is a yes. But this is only my humble opinion and I can testify that it did work for me like magic, not only that but I felt better, healthy wise. So don't skip any meals, but count your calories.

23. starwriter66

starwriter66 New Member

No I don't skip dinner but eating less can be a good thing. It's fine to splurge once in a while but overdoing it all the time is bad. Portion control is so very important at dinner and other meals. There are many healthy ways to lose weight while still eating dinner and more. We need to focus on staying healthy and less about being really skinny.

24. Lei

Lei New Member

No, skipping dinner is not healthy. It can actually cause weight gain. Dinner is important because it gives your body food/energy while you are sleep. If you skip dinner, your body will go into "starvation mode" . "Starvation mode" is when your body holds on to its fat because it thinks that you are starving. This will make it harder to lose weight (since it's storing fat). I know this because I use to skip breakfast and lunch.

25. bouboumum

bouboumum New Member

No, I do not skip a dinner. I think the idea of skipping a meal is just to cut out the calories which you would otherwise consume through this meal. It might be ok for a day or two but then you will start feeling hungry, grumpy, tired and essentially malnourished. The better alternative is to consume the appropriate amount of calories divided between 3 meals and possibly 2 small snacks a day.

26. whiteknight17

whiteknight17 New Member

I don't. I've heard it time and again that skipping meals and forcing yourself to go hungry is a -bad- way to lose weight. What I do is simple; I just eat whenever I'm hungry. If I get hungry before dinner time, I make sure to eat a bit more during lunch. Conversely, if I -don't- feel hungry during dinner time, I eat less during lunch. Combined with working out, I find myself losing weight without having to torture myself by going to bed without food.

27. KarenSí

KarenSí New Member

Skipping dinner it is not necessary the solution for loosing weight. It is all about the size of the meal as tip to eat less, just eat in a small plates that will help you to get rid off the extra weight. :)

28. Eric Faucher

Eric Faucher New Member

Nope, not a meal skipper myself. It's just too hard on my body and mind. I find if I don't eat regularly, I experience a drop in energy that makes me less active, which in turn, makes me flabby and crabby. I've tried several approaches mentioned by others here and they all work better than skipping a meal e.g. controlled fasting, eating smaller meals more frequently, and changing what I eat. Really, though, what has helped me with weight management the most is learning to "skip " self- defeating head games about body image.

29. stefg220

stefg220 New Member

I do not skip any meal when I want to lose weight. Your body needs the fuel to work properly. The only way I have managed to lose weight and keep it off is by eating healthier and working out. The weight did not fall off quickly but I have heard the best way to lose it is slowly. I hope this helps you in some way. Good luck on your journey.

30. Bright Obioma

Bright Obioma New Member

Skipping dinner will only worsen the case. All you need do is go green. Eat vegetables and fruits only and stop eating any kind of mean,junk or canned foods.