Do you think film adaptations ruin the book?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by clarisseblogs, Nov 8, 2018.

1. clarisseblogs

clarisseblogs New Member

Film adaptations definitely ruin the book. It alters your mental picture of the characters and setting. Also, most of the time, they change the sequence of events.

Ready Player One is one of my favorite books of all time. However, I honestly didn't like the film because most of the important scenes were omitted. To give an instance, the scene where Wade Watts got jailed and hacked through the system to get Sorrento's vital files was omitted.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. comics0026

comics0026 New Member

It really depends on the book and the movie, as well as the intentions of the book writer and movie director. Like with Jaws, the book is pretty meh, but the movie is a more streamlined story that created the blockbuster, and on the other hand you have Running Man, where the book is a pretty serious and dark fight for survival, while the movie turns the story into and over the top 80s action flick.

3. LegacyBroken

LegacyBroken New Member

Book to film adaptations are a tricky business. The mediums are so different in how they tell a story that in many ways trying to adapt them to serve all audiences is difficult. Tough decisions need to be made. The best adaptations capture the spirit of the book while still making the right concessions to the film medium. Book purists will also never be completely satisfied. They feel a very strong sense of ownership towards the book.

4. sandipghosh1988

sandipghosh1988 New Member

Obviously not. Because very often movies are made from the plot of a book story. In that sence movie sometimes push a watcher to read the full book.

5. Halycon

Halycon New Member

There are good and there are bad adaptations of books. A bad one will not retroactively effect the quality of the book though it may poison the well for new readers who may steer clear due to bad first impressions. A good adaptation can positively effect the view of the book. A great adaptation is more likely to steer film viewers toward reading the book and others from the author.

I am positive that Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films introduced new people to the works of Tolkien that might have led to them trying The Similarion.

6. srrob900

srrob900 New Member

It all depends on how the movie company handles the source material and if they trust the people involved in the project to turn it into a movie.

7. BrinaPresley

BrinaPresley New Member

I think so yes, most of the time books are so incredibly detailed and when movies cannot accurately depict what the book describes it can sometimes be a let down.

8. MTKiliulis

MTKiliulis New Member

I think the "this ruined the book" attitude comes from lack of understanding of what adapting something means. It means the creator is adapting something from one medium to the other. Since different mediums have different constraints and conventions, of course the adaptations are going to be very different. But as long as the movie doesn't stray from the intention and idea of the book, then it doesn't ruin it.

9. nanoflowerdemon

nanoflowerdemon New Member

They deffinitely can. Depends on the company that produces the movie, the director choice, casting and how much the writer of the book was involved in the creative process of the movie.

10. lilephe

lilephe New Member

I usually like the adaptations of books to film. On the other hand, I'm not much of a bookworm, I usually don't have strong feelings for books, so if they mess up a detail or two, it doesn't bother me. I just watch them for more content from the world of the book usually.

11. Frem

Frem New Member

Film adaptations will always ruin the book. Why? because Book Authors and Film Makers, differentiate on how they present and view it to their audience. Film makers, want that freedom they want in telling a story, adapted from a great book or novel. The more unique a novel's set up, the more attracting to the Film makers it will be to present something new and fresh but supported from a book as their back bone of reference.

The question remains to them, "Do you really want me to make a movie of your book and look exactly the same way how the book flows? I just want to adapt it, not copy it" as for fans, expectations has different standards for different people. When viewing a Film adapted, we could say, "I wonder how they adapted it" not how did they create a book into a movie. I still agree that, the book is more content than the movie.

12. mandla2018

mandla2018 New Member

I agree, the same is true for the Hunger Games.

In the book it says that Peeta, one of the main characters, is very tall but the actor who played him in the movie was short.

In film adaptations as we see, it is difficult to cast someone with an exact description as the book.