Do you think it is more expensive to eat healthy?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by wiredinsomniac, May 9, 2012.

1. ItsJess

ItsJess New Member

I think that eating healthy on a budget is 100% possible if you are willing to go to 2 or 3 grocery stores instead of just one.

Assuming "healthy" in this case is meaning whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, lean meats, and dairy products, a balanced and healthy diet is absolutely achievable on a budget. The key is being willing to be flexible with meals by taking advantages of sales and store brands.

Take for example a meal of spaghetti:

1 box of whole wheat pasta, store brand - $1
    1 jar of of low sodium pasta sauce, store brand - $2.50
    1/2 bag of spinach or kale - $1.80

Thrown in a pot you'll have a healthy meal for 4 for only $5.30.

Find bananas on sale, dip them in dark chocolate, and freeze for a healthy dessert for only a few more bucks!

2. Isabelle Jesko

Isabelle Jesko New Member

It really depends on what you buy. If you want something already prepared, it's more than likely going to be more expensive than the unhealthy option. Vegetables, fruit, grains, and other staples are relatively low-priced and you can usually buy enough to make a few meals. It's definitely more time-consuming, but it doesn't have to be more expensive.

3. anthonyferil

anthonyferil New Member

I definitely think eating healthy is claiming to be living by means of what you have.Buying stuff that makes you full without thinking is expensive.Eating healthy means you can have what you need to eat with proper planning and without buying artificial food.

4. GlykaXing18

GlykaXing18 New Member

For me I think healthier foods are much cheaper than those unhealthy foods, here in our country fruits and vegetebles are more affordable rather than canned foods and preserved foods.

5. glykahipe03

glykahipe03 New Member

No I don't think eating healthy foods are expensive, in fact nutritious foods today are much more cheaper rather than those unhealthy foods. In my country buying healthy foods just like vegebles, fruits and seafoods are less costly over those foods that has less nutrients exmples are processed foods (canned foods, noodles, junk foods and etc.). But people this days consider convenience and quality of taste as a big factor for them that is why they often prefer for unhealthy foods but has good taste and can be eat easily.

6. zenerdblogger

zenerdblogger New Member

No! Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. There are many foods in the market that are available and cheap, it's just a matter of wise choice.

7. Vincent Patella

Vincent Patella New Member

In my opinion, eating healthy is not as expensive as it is difficult. Many companies advertise healthier foods that are more expensive because of their inherent value of being "healthy", but this is more of a corporate scheme than it is a legitimate resource for eating healthy.

I think a problem that people face, especially in the United States, is that they don't know exactly what healthy is. Most people don't know how many vegetables or fruits they should be eating, or what variety. A lot of people don't know the difference between complete and incomplete proteins, or the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats. Most are unaware of the importance of micronutrients (vitamins and especially minerals) in their diet, and what foods they can be obtained from.

A lot of companies put out rehashes of their food brands marketed as "low fat", which can be more expensive. Handfuls of people view these rehashes as healthier versions of their favorite foods, when in reality the removed fat is replaced with added sugars. It is possible to eat very cheaply, and very healthy depending on where you live. There are certainly some exceptions, and those who live in food deserts suffer because of it.

For the most part, though, it is possible to eat healthy as cheaply or even more cheaply than it is possible to eat unhealthy. Like I said, it just requires research. This is something that many people are not willing to do, or something that people do not have access to.

8. Lester Ian Lim

Lester Ian Lim New Member

It's not expensive to eat healthy. When I was 14 I started building my own vegetable garden and it has a variety of vegetables. Harvest time is fun! You can save a lot of money at the same time you can also eat organic vegetables without exposing your body to those harmful chemicals. And I share my harvest to my family and neighbors. You can start building your own garden now. Trust me it's fun! :)

9. Ian Lim

Ian Lim New Member

It's not expensive to eat healthy. Instead of price per calorie, we’ll be looking at the price per nutrient. We want the most nutrients for the least amount of money. The choices below will:

• Target nutrient dense foods, but understand that we’re looking for the most economical choices. If food A costs $10 and has 50 of nutrient x, we’ll pick food B instead, which only provides 45 of x but costs just $2.
    • Limit our draw to ‘good caloric deals,’ avoiding nutrient deficient options such as white bread or ramen.
    • Identify foods with high caloric AND nutritional value, for those currently trying to gain weight through strength training.
    When I was 14 I started building my own vegetable garden and it has a variety of vegetables. Harvest time is fun! You can save a lot of money at the same time you can also eat organic vegetables without exposing your body to those harmful chemicals. And I share my harvest to my family and neighbors. You can start building your own garden now. Trust me it's fun! If you don't have a garden, you can still have a healthy choice! For starters, don’t be afraid to buy frozen vegetables in the freezer section of your local grocery store (or even canned vegetables). Sure, I love fresh veggies, but since frozen veggies are picked and then frozen at peak ripeness (and thus most nutritionally dense), they are often a better value while being edible for months longer. :)

10. Javajackson

Javajackson New Member

I completely agree! if you are aiming to cooking healthier foods you typically start with whole foods (not the store, the food category ). Fresh unprocessed vegetables, fats and meats will be a lower cost than getting the completed meal ready to eat, but you will spend larger amounts of time in the kitchen preparing and cooking, as well as the time spent planning menus and shopping. It's worth it in the long run and in my opinion you will be spending less in medical bills and medications so I consider it an investment and potentially a better cost.

11. NYARANDING MARENA

NYARANDING MARENA New Member

Well I think it depends on which country you living, because for me its expensive to eat healthy. The unhealthy food are cheap but the healthy foods, for example fruits and vegetables are expensive, if you want to eat them on a regular basis. So if you want to live a healthy life its expensive from my side of the world.

12. Yes, I think healthy food is more expensive and not only that, it is also time consuming. In my opinion we all should eat healthy foods even though it is expensive and time consuming. It is important not just to make ourself healthier but live a better life. If you're on a diet or have plans to lose some weights, then I suggest eat healthier. I mean we need to invest in our diet so that if you're in a party and it has a lot of unhealthy foods, you would think twice or trice to eat them because you are thinking about the among of money you are sending on you're diet. I suggest invest in making the best version of yourself.

13. Coral7

Coral7 New Member

Yes, eating healthy is more expensive in my area. If you cook your own healthy diet and compare prices between organic and processed you can see the difference. But if you take the time to do your homework by looking for sales and deals I am sure you can save a good amount of dollars when you shop for organic. When you go to a restaurant and look in the menu for healthy appetizers or entrees, the prices in this case, at least in my area, are almost the same. So the big difference in prize is at the time to make healthy grocery shopping, but there are a few ways to reduce that difference in prices, just spend some time searching for coupons, sales, or price match between stores.

14. Constanthine

Constanthine New Member

It is not expensive eating healthy if you can grow vegetables and fruits and raise animals that are source of meat in your place it is not as simple as that. But if you live in an urban area i guess it is expensive.

15. izzygust

izzygust New Member

Living in a small village in the thumb of Michigan, it is extremely difficult to eat healthy at the same price as the latter. Since we have to drive 30 minutes just to reach a grocery store, and another hour and a half for a Kroger, Meijer, or CostCo, it is extremely challenging to buy healthy alternative for the same price. Between the price of gas and even just finding the time to make the two-hour trek to a store, it is much more expensive to eat healthy where I live. If I lived in a bigger city with more options, I believe it would definitely not be more expensive, but when looking at it from my perspective, it is much more costly.

16. Cathyikay12

Cathyikay12 New Member

Actually it is not expensive nor it's effecient. Eating healthy can make you live longer and enjoy life to the fullest.Eating healthy is really a budget wise,in our country most of us eat more vegetables rather than meat.Meat is more expensive rather than vegetables.In my country, Filipinos are very resourceful they just planting what they have. Even can get vegetable or leaves for free. Eating healthy is not expensive you just to be resourceful on those natural things we have.

17. yennx

yennx New Member

Eating healthy doesn't need to be expensive, it needs attention, it needs your time and effort, eating healthy does not require fresh veggies from the market, tons of high priced balanced meals or making your pocket penniless, a simple vegetable from your garden can make less profit than buying it from the market everyday, planting one can help the environment, and can help you.

18. ChrisGale

ChrisGale New Member

No. Eating healthy is cost effective in the long run. Eating healthy ensures lower health costs. When you eat healthy you have lesser chances of developing ailments that result from eating unhealthy foods, such as fast foods.
    Prolonged and sustained consumption of unhealthy foods always leads to health problems such a diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure.
    These health problems will always become a heavy drain on your finances.

19. Gemmers

Gemmers New Member

A healthy diet is considerably more expensive than the typical unhealthy one, because it is dominated by fresh vegetables and fruits. Those are expensive in part because, unlike many processed foods, they are not subsidized by the government, but mostly because of all the handling they require and all the spoilage. I don't doubt there is some deceptive labeling or that you can set up situations where consumers make irrational choices health-wise on the margins, but surely that is a very small part of the problem.

20. czarina0923

czarina0923 New Member

It’s expensive to eat, but it is more cost effective to choose your food wisely. Your eating affects everything from your health to your level of success. What you choose to eat can dictate moods, relationships, and lifestyle. So why do people complain about the cost of healthier, nutritious, options? Eating healthy foods can save more money instead of buying unhealthy foods. When you eat food that is nourishing you can eat less because you give your body more nutrients and you are satisfied with more option.