Do You Think Playing Games Reduces Stress?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mr.C, Dec 21, 2017.

1. jaynaol22

jaynaol22 New Member

Well for me its a yes!! after a day of work i just turn on my gaming console and once i started to play that's time i feel like im living on my own world.actually it helps me as well to improve my focus and decision making so gaming can reduce stress and can help you to improve your ability.

2. Markoriginals117

Markoriginals117 New Member

The answer to your question depends, on what kind of game you are playing. Games in general has been created to entertain us, often times its purpose has been widely used; to kill the time. Now, in the context to what kind of game? Some games, differ from the widely known concept of entertainment, be it a casual game, a horror type game, a shooting game or even a role playing game. The ways to determine stress levels are complex, however, one can definitely say that they get relief, or the stress they felt has worn down because of a game, but bear in mind that the person who claims this is open to say so, if that person finished the game or did some achievements with in the Game.

The Irony - is that, people who fail in games, tend to have doubled their stress levels. This is because the reduction of stress levels in playing games is only achievable if the player, WINS. But if not,the stress reduction theory in games, is rather shady. As far as I know, that is. I'm a gamer, incase you are wondering.

3. swaggerboi

swaggerboi New Member

In my own experience, I would say YES. Why? I'm a gaming enthusiast and after all the hard days' work, you would always want to play games despite of the accumulated stress. Some say most of the games provide more tension and stress during gameplay, but they're missing the point. It's the factor that makes you enjoy it more that reduces stress. Tired of paperwork and stress levels went through the roof? You would want to sit down, take a break usually with your friends, play a game where you can socialize and win, to relieve the built-up stress you're carrying. The success you gain boosts your confidence at least temporarily, and enlightens your mind that you can do anything yourself. That gives you more energy to go through the day. However, it's a game so you can not always be on the winning side. Despite of losses, the eagerness to redeem yourselves reduces stress through giving you motivation to win next time. The effect of this is you reclaim your ground to battle out the stress. So yeah, games relieve stress.

4. Ehmjhay98

Ehmjhay98 New Member

If we are talking about stress, as it is, playing games certainly helps us by acting as an outlet of our stress. With the help of our co-players, we tend to develop our social skills, which is one of the leading source of stress. Meanwhile, the quests, problems or challenges that we face in the game usually helps us to develop our problem solving skills which can be applied in the real world. Of course, there's always two sides in the same coin. Abusive gaming also has the possibility to give us stress. Just always remember to moderate and control your gaming time and experience

5. jets008

jets008 New Member

I would say it depends. It really depends on the game that you are playing. There are games that make you feel relax specially when you're really enjoying the game. But there are also games that are stress inducive . Games that is designed the stress the hell out of you because of it's hard mechanics and problems.

6. kmighty01

kmighty01 New Member

I think this is a definite yes, as long as the person playing isn't addicted. Games are awesome stress relievers, and will allow you to clear your head.

1 person likes this.
  7. StayDicey

StayDicey New Member

Playing games reduced stress? Well maybe because when we play sometimes we win and our brain is happy when we win and trash talking other people is the one reason why we are happy hahahaha. Many people play and some results gives us happiness and sometimes stress especially when we cannot get what we want. Beating levels is one of the main reason why our heads is hot sometimes we keep trying trying until it's done but not all are happy ending some are a bad ending we get stressed while we play so for me its both gives us happiness and stress

8. Jim29

Jim29 New Member

Playing video game is a hobby,Something you do to Enjoy your self,Yes it relief us of stress,and more,But i my say that those WHO ARE ADDICTED AND has " NO CONTROLLED" IN PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ,has a lot of Stress ,Specially those who play online games,Here in the Philippines ,where a lot of people enjoyed playing online game like dota,iI personally saw how they try to find money just to play .Some even
    steal just to play,,Their was a video on YouTube,of a 5 year young kid,saying his Father (who is still a teenager and living with his Parents)Play all day long on the gaming station,instead of working and finding ways to earn,the poor guy just play, Coming in the morning, just going home to eat, then coming back, not looking at his child anymore, then often making enemy with someone .what often are the verbal fights with his girlfriend,STRESS YES ,I belief stress can be cure or treated like what they stay of not to much of every thing.

9. Kyoto

Kyoto New Member

As a gamer myself, I see it as a fun hobby that is able to take my thoughts away for a second. I think the nature and level of competitiveness of the game has the biggest effect. For pure relaxation competitive Ranked-modes might not do the job, but a casual game or two could achieve a better result.

It has also been proven that gaming boosts learning (the same way that sports do), so I do see that it has many great effects on our wellbeing.

10. Dzappone10

Dzappone10 New Member

To answer this question I would say yes it does reduce stress. There are many ways that you can say video games reduce stress and I am strictly talking based on experiences. I have been playing video games since I was about 5 years old. Now of course when your young what stress do you have besides your bedtime and vegetables? But as I got older I would say around the time I was in high school , I came to grips that video games actually helped me calm down and reduce stress. There were many times I had an assignment due or I received a bad test score and I would overreact and think I am going to drop out or my parents would kill me. At that time Halo 3 was the game to play and as I joined a party on Xbox 360 the difference was amazing. It took literally minutes before I had long forgotten about my grades and I was laughing so hard I was crying because one of my friends was hit by a warthog. I would game for hours forgetting about the troubles I was facing and just having fun. As I got older nothing changed but the platform and game. Any time I was down about anything, a girl, my parents , fights with friends , a death in the family, it didn't matter because playing a game took my mind off that and took me into another zone in which i could forget about the bad. There were many times my parents even noticed and said wow he went from being down to laughing his head off 5 minutes later. Video games changed my life for the good and for that I am thankful.

11. Khsas

Khsas New Member

If you win games like getting a victory, beating a boss and finishing a game, it is very relieving. If you are in a bad mood that day and you end up winning games, it will turn that bad mood upside down. Many gamers have experienced that. When you are tired from work then you went home and played video games, then you ended up winning those games, you will feel good and eliminate those stress

On the other side, it could be very harmful. It is the exact opposite of what I have said above. When you ended up losing games of can't defeat a boss, that stress will add up and will result to a negative impact to your mind. There are still ways to avoid this. If you wish to reduce stress from playing video games, you should avoid any competitive games and play some light game only for you to relieve stress.

12. jamjam123

jamjam123 New Member

It depends on what kind of game we're talking about. Playing more simple and easier games does help me, personally, but I can get pretty annoyed if it's giving me too much of a hard time. Competitive games in general stress me out, so I don't play many of them, but more relaxing ones can definitely help. A certain someone demanded that I get into Ace Attorney and that one is more on the calming side, I think, since there's not a ridiculous amount of pressure involved.

13. Guiaoming

Guiaoming New Member

It actually depends. There are video games that can help reduce stress and video games that even increase or trigger stress. We players can actually decide if we let video games help us relax. If we play in a way that we don't let the games consume us, then I can say that playing video games is relaxing and helps reduce stress.

Then, there are these games that could become toxic for us. If we let games consume our life, then we become more stressed. There are some games that may require grinding and if we focus on that, we surely will be stressed after some time. There are also multiplayer games that could become toxic because of the community. Other players would blame you for not doing so well and that can induce more stress and even other negative emotions like anger.

14. Androxtor

Androxtor New Member

Depending on the game, gaming reduces stress. Playing games reduces stress because you can enjoy cool things and have a good story on your seat. For me gaming helps me focus reducing the stress, doing missions at weekend with friends is fun. Many people bash gaming that it is bad but for me it is not bad as long as you know your limits like in real life and it is a good way to be free and to show some of your skills. Gaming can be a good break for people who are stressed especially games that involves music like Lumines or games that unleashes your creativity like little big planet.

15. aaronmagahis

aaronmagahis New Member

I do think playing games reduces stress. In my opinion, as long as the player enjoys the game, it will greatly relieve stress. If a player takes the game seriously, that's when the problem sinks in. Playing with friends will also help an individual to feel they have a companion, thus relieving more stress.

16. Hux

Hux Active Member

Absolutely. When I'm feeling stressed or down, I'll go on my PC and have some gaming time. I'll spend a few hours on my favorite games and it's a huge distraction. I normally feel OK afterwards!

17. FriendLyMe143

FriendLyMe143 New Member

Hi there. It really depends on what games you play and what your goals are in the game. If I'm not that stressed, I do play Dota 2 rank matches. When I'm kinda tired and stressed I also play Dota 2, but in a lighter game mode COOP Bot game.

18. ScribeLive

ScribeLive New Member

In my opinion; No. I think the millennial age has lost touch with what "stress" is. I am a millennial. Watching for buttons responses while staring at LED pixels flashing into my eyes at varying ultraviolet levels; is not my version of relaxation nor should it be for any other type of mammal. Lets explore sipping tea together...quietly.

19. jhemjeff

jhemjeff New Member

it does. for me when i play i became a different person. more adventurous more aggressive very far from my typical me.

20. yetyet

yetyet Member

Many people say that playing games destroy your health and can make us addict into it. For me, playing games is my way of releasing the stress the I felt the whole time. Playing games also improve our problem solving skills, enhances our way of surviving in a particular situation. As they said "too much of something is not good", as long as I know that I can handle my time on playing games or let's say I know my limit, I know I'm doing it the right way.

21. Kyan03

Kyan03 New Member

Yes and not the games you might think. I don’t play casual games.

I love to unwind playing games like Counter Strike, PUBG) and DOTA2. Games that include more of combat and teamwork efforts. It appears that counter intuitive games stress you out to relax but it works. Part of the reason is because I am also getting to hang out with my family while playing, working on a common goal, laughing at the ridiculous crap we just survived or celebrating an achievement we’ve been working on for a while. I really enjoy that. No one said family time can’t be on an alien base in an asteroid. I do not let the games interfere with our dinner or sleep schedule and I do not dope up for performance like drinking red bull or coffee. That is a no no.

22. glenda18

glenda18 New Member

Playing video games can relieve your stress, reduce your depression, and make you feel better. ... Enough evidence in fact, that if video games aren't a regular part of your life right now, adding a bit of game-playing time to your schedule could actually improve your mental health in many surprising ways.

23. riley12

riley12 New Member

I think it does I use to come home from school everyday and go straight to playing games.

24. Shuby415

Shuby415 New Member

It actually depends on the person and type of game. I notice younger kids to teens tend to take it more seriously due to their age. Thats thats mostly in a general sense.

25. johnmichaelescalona

johnmichaelescalona New Member

not exactly the game but when you team up with your friends and play those games you wanted to play, that is happines.
    and happines is the one help us reduce our depression or stress. its just my opinion and for me.

26. Ruelene18

Ruelene18 Member

Yes, playing games can reduce stress, reduce your depression, and make you feel better. Enough evidence that if playing games aren't a regular part of your life right now, adding a bit of game-playing time to your schedule could improve your mental health in many surprising ways.

Playing your favorite video games or games may require both visual and audial memory. The player is required to read or listen to the instructions which might only be provided at the beginning of the game, thus the need to remember them throughout the entire game. Mastery of the keys on your keyboard helps you easily move your characters in the game. This helps improve your memory, whether short-term or long-term.

27. Ubayed

Ubayed New Member

In my opinion playing games reduces stress quite often, there are in fact very good games which are very user friendly and fun to play that could help you relieve your stress. But you should be careful, from my personal experience, there are a lot of games out there that you can end even more stressed just playing them. So you need to be aware of what you are choosing to play and not just stop playing at all.

28. jpvelascooo

jpvelascooo Member

It will help you to focus on something fun and entertaining as a distraction from life’s problems. Sometimes you can get really absorbed in a particular game, which then takes your mind off of stress.

Another way is if your gaming with friends. It helps you to socialize, talk about things going on in the game as well as things in life. You get support as well as a fun time.

29. DianeBorg

DianeBorg New Member

I think it depends on what type of games you play. If you play challenging games, they can be a bit stressful to try and beat the levels.

30. Slate

Slate New Member

Yes, playing games can reduce stress, reduce your depression, and make you feel better. Enough evidence that if playing games aren't a regular part of your life right now, adding a bit of game-playing time to your schedule could improve your mental health in many surprising ways.

Playing your favorite video games or games may require both visual and audial memory. The player is required to read or listen to the instructions which might only be provided at the beginning of the game, thus the need to remember them throughout the entire game. Mastery of the keys on your keyboard helps you easily move your characters in the game. This helps improve your memory, whether short-term or long-term.