Do You Think Playing Games Reduces Stress?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mr.C, Dec 21, 2017.

1. donjandex

donjandex New Member

Play reduces stress, improves self-expression, supports emotional development, strengthens physical development and much more. I have been quoted as saying, "Playing reduces stress, improves life, and increases creativity. Who doesn't want that?" There is a great deal of research available to support the importance of play and, specifically, how effective games, improvisations, and simulations are in the classroom. Yes, Play is fun and can trigger the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.

2. sivanro

sivanro New Member

Yes, based from experience, games help me forget what I'm going through even if it's just for a little while. When I am invested in a game, I see to it that I'm playing hard and doing my best to win, which is why my mind suddenly disappears from reality during a game. Thus, the stress that I feel also disappears.

3. Tijintom

Tijintom New Member

Of course it is. Playing video games are relieve my stress, reduce my depression, and make me feel better always..

4. ildadim

ildadim New Member

Yes, I do think that playing video games are the best way to reduce stress, and also can be a good exercise for the mind.

5. selectra

selectra Member

if playing video games is what you love it will reduces your stress. We all know that we feel happy and not stressed when we are doing something we like.

6. mayega

mayega New Member

Playing games involves some mental exercise. You need to be actively engaged to concentrate. This will destruct you from the stress at least for a while. Therefore my take is that playing games reduces stress.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  7. archiejay

archiejay New Member

Playing games really reduces stress based on my own personal experience. The enjoyment you have while playing removes the stress and give relaxation to your brain. After the game, you will be refresh and ready again to any task you need to do. But don't be addicted, one hour or two hours could be enough to release the stress from you.

8. Sannhill011

Sannhill011 New Member

Playing games does not reduce stress at all for me, except for games like Sims.

Most games; Legend of Zelda, Diablo III, WoW, League of Legends, and others just.......stress me out so.....so much. I rage quit by the end of it, any time I die. During puzzle games like Zelda.... I get so stressed out that I can't finish the game.

I'd much rather play Sims, or mobile idle garden games on my phone.

Or, paint or something.

9. Alkmendo

Alkmendo New Member

I am playing video game.Yes it could be a stress relieverbut not all the time. It may also be the reason of why you are stress specially when you lose

10. deaken

deaken New Member

11. 1AndOnlyPika

1AndOnlyPika New Member

This heavily depends on the game. Some games can cause stress, clearly (like Fortnite, pretty sure everyone here has heard of raging Fortnite games) and some can help reduce stress and bring up other skills. A main problem with video games is depending on the person it may hurt your eyes if you play to much.

12. Anj1018

Anj1018 Member

I think the answer to this question is yes since now i'm experiencing a stressful environment, i really like playing Call of Duty during my free time to release some stress and tension in me. I also play with my co workers so much of our time playing together promotes joy and teamwork. ahahahahaha

13. donald78

donald78 Member

Playing video games can actually relieve you from stress. It can reduce your depression and make you feel better. If video games are not a regular part of life right now, adding a bit of game-playing time to your schedule could actually improve your mental health in any surprising ways. Even engaging you're in casual video gameplay during rest breaks can help restore mood in response to workplace stress.

14. Russel1Westbrook

Russel1Westbrook New Member

Bro it depends on who you are some people develop high blood pressure from playing video games because they get mad when they lose and they end up getting really angry and they don't really enjoy the games that they play especially multiplayer but as for me I don't get mad when I lose I do not let a game raise my blood pressure but yes they do relieve my stress I do feel a lot better after a long work day and a beer and some vodka sitting with my girlfriend playing video games because I know how to master my mind and I know how to if a game is stressing me I turned it off and I go play something else or I'm which you were in my mind and practice and just accept a loss and have fun with the story line with the gameplay and would setting new goals and challenges for myself

15. Marlon04

Marlon04 New Member

I don't find myself getting any relaxation, or entertainment from it. It is most of the time the opposite, to be honest. It is just so stressful for me with all the decision-making, communicating with your teammates, trying not to make silly mistakes, etc.

16. Marlon04

Marlon04 New Member

Games make you happy for a short period of time; when you are enjoying playing that games but you can't escaped the world or your problems

17. Marlon04

Marlon04 New Member

Yes, said Ferguson, videogames can cause stress , but
    the good kind. The kind you feel when you 're facing an
    exciting challenge or playing sports, or reading a book
    that's so good you can 't put it down. And in general,
    Ferguson's research shows that videogames appear to
    reduce people's overall stress levels.

18. Jahro05

Jahro05 New Member

Young adults—male and female—who play violent video games long-term handle stress better than non-playing adults and become less depressed and less hostile following a stressful task, according to a study by Texas A&M International University associate professor, Dr. Christopher J. Ferguson.

The article on the research appears in the “European Psychologist” 2010, Volume 15.

“In this study, 103 young adults were given a frustration task and then randomized to play no game, a non-violent game, a violent game with good versus evil theme, or a violent game in which they played ‘the bad guy.’ The results suggest that violent games reduce depression and hostile feelings in players through mood management,” Dr. Ferguson explained.

Whether violent video games cause aggression or violent crime has been a source of contention in public and academic circles. The results do not support a link between violent video games and aggressive behavior.

Ferguson said that the results of this study may help provide others with ways to come up with a mood-management activity that provides individuals with ways to tolerate or reduce stress.

“It probably won’t come to a surprise to gamers that playing games may reduce stress,” Ferguson said, “although others have been skeptical of this idea. This is the first study that explores this idea, however. It does seem that playing violent games may help reduce stress and make people less depressed and hostile.”

Ferguson cautioned that these results were correlational, however, and more research is needed. However, he suggested that video games could increasingly be used in therapy with young adults and teens. Violent games may help people work through their frustrations with real life and calm down without increasing aggressive behaviors in real life.

Ferguson edited last month’s American Psychological Association’s special issue on video games. He has also written numerous articles on the effects of video games that have debunked studies claiming video games are harmful.

19. jjmontero

jjmontero Member

For some maybe. It's was like their way of bringing out the stress especially when playing action games.

20. Jubilado

Jubilado New Member

I think so, years ago i was completely stressed because of work and when i went home i started playing an online game with my friends and when i realised i completely forgot about work for a moment, so in that way it can reduce stress because it takes your mind out of things.

21. Maxim

Maxim New Member

Watching what games. Those that are based on killing are unlikely.

22. Anj1018

Anj1018 Member

Yes i think this helps reduce stress. It changes your focus on your problems. Also this helps comfort or relaxes your feelings so it prevents a person to act on emotions.