Does anyone else find it hard to write non-fiction?

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Challenges' started by wizerlygee, Jul 9, 2017.

1. wizerlygee

wizerlygee New Member

I love to write, and I really prefer writing creative stuff, however it's harder to find a creative writing gig. I find it so hard to write articles. I'll try to begin something, but it doesn't flow well, and I get exasperated. When it comes to writing a short story-now you're talking. Any suggestions on how to improve?

2. Obanro

Obanro New Member

I get your point; as a freelance writer, i was once like you but things changed over time. First, you need to start by trying to give your views on other peoples post, criticize and review articles written by other, when doing this, you will start to see where things went wrong in the write up and how they could be corrected, then start writing your base on your sites using these tips;

1. Research on a topic.
    2. Take a note while researching.
    3. Form/come up with a title and create sub-tiles too.
    4. Start with an introduction of 2-3 paragraphs and write the body in a friendly tone.
    5 Conlude your article and you are done.

3. Steve Owen

Steve Owen New Member

@Obanro: I beg to disagree with your points. Fiction writing is very different from non-fiction writing. The points you listed above could do for fiction writing but it won't work for non-fiction.

If you want to write non-fiction, you should only write on what you have personal experience in because when you're done and you publish the work, people are going to ask you questions or try to relate with what you have written and if it seems you made up what you wrote, you'll a lot of Goodwill and trust. If you're in America and an Indian in Mumbai wrote something about New York when he has never left his country, would his write-up sound convincing to you?

@wizerlygee : Non-fictional works are usually written when one has strong desire to share one's unique experience about something with other people. No one compels you to write non-fiction, you write it on your own accord.

Since you have first hand experience on what you're writing about, once you start writing the first few paragraphs, every other word you need will flow to you by intuition... something like a new mother writing about her pregnancy experience. A woman who hasn't given birth before wouldn't write so we'll on such a topic.

4. dankol12345

dankol12345 New Member

Non-fiction writing is actually not easy to pen down except one has a very high level of imagination- a very deep one at that. For me, I tried doing some non-fictional writing some years back, the idea I was working with was flowing very well at the beginning, at a point, I lost it because I could not sustain it to meet the quality I want. So I gave up. I don't think it's easy except maybe working as a group or better still, one has to intertwine with fiction because, truth be told, it's easier penning down our experiences.

5. meinzerthurman

meinzerthurman New Member

I am the opposite: I love writing non-fiction and struggle when I'm challenged with a creative task. My background is in technical and academic writing, so I feel like I excel in those fields. I have written occasionally for more creative outlets, and I have never felt as successful when doing so. However, the best advice I can give to any struggling writer (whether you struggle with one mode or the other) is to dedicate at least one hour each day to perfecting your craft. Make it your routine, and you will see improvements!

6. sirenwithsoul

sirenwithsoul New Member

Like meinzerthurman above, I prefer non-fiction writing, at least professionally. I love my creative writing jaunts, but it often seems so personal that I have reservations about sharing my most personal thoughts, dreams, and feelings with friends and strangers. The "true or false" aspect of non-fiction writing can be a strange sort of comfort when you are stuck for ideas in creative pursuits as well, because ANY writing starts a flow and builds a momentum. I do think you can write nonfiction about topics you are not particularly expert in, IF you are willing to learn alongside your readers. Let them see your process and your progress. Sometimes actually watching someone else have their mind expanded can help the reader be willing to see things from a new perspective.