E-Books or Hard Copy

Discussion in 'Books' started by TeresaW, Dec 10, 2014.

1. divx1983

divx1983 New Member

I will choose not to read an e-book because I love the smell of new paper. And to have a new book in your hand and looking at it all the time will make u feel proud and make want to finish it soon.

2. amber hardin

amber hardin New Member

I have to say that I would choose a paper back book over an e-book any day. To have to detach from technology to physically pick up a book to indulge in is like a step back in time, and to a more peaceful setting where you can just focus on the words on paper and not the technology running the words across your screen. There's a sort of magic within paperback books that e-books seem not to have.

3. VeteranMaxi

VeteranMaxi New Member

I definitely prefer the hardback copy, but I believe that is simply because I have grown up with my father reading books all the time. It's amazing, he gets through a 500 page book in 3 to 4 days and he does it with ease. I prefer hard backs however I still don't read books myself. I prefer to do all my reading online, but I don't use e-books.

I imagine in the future I will end up buying a Kindle, or similar device, in order to utilise e-books to their full potential.

4. ljankovec

ljankovec New Member

I recently began considering this debate after I got bored with reading books on my iPad. For some reason, I felt less fulfillment from reading e-books as I did from reading paper books. So, although e-books are generally less expensive and can be downloaded instantly, I've gone back to reading old fashioned paper books. I might consider revisiting e-books in the future but I am enjoying the feel of a real paper book in my hands for now. Not to mention being able to grow my personal library and have books to share with friends, family, and children in the future. I will always be an advocate for paper books.

5. Molly Caitlin

Molly Caitlin New Member

I definitely prefer hard copy/paper books, for many reasons! The smell of them, the way they feel in your hands, and the way that they all have a slightly different shape and size makes the physical experience of reading a paper book very interesting. I grew up with my parents being book sellers so I am also partial to the hard copy version of books as it reminds me of my childhood and good memories! I've also worked in several book stores in the past and I love just being around books.

6. nicolas_key

nicolas_key New Member

Hard copies without a doubt. E-Books take away the feel of page turning and the whole sense of the book in your hand. E-Books may be convenient but feeling the weight of the book in your hand and flipping through the pages is all part of the experience of reading a book. Each hard copy book is its own experience with its smell, weight, and the look of the pages.

jclyn21 likes this.
  7. clairelouise84

clairelouise84 New Member

I am a little bit old school when it comes to books, there is nothing better than curling up with a good book in your favourite comfy chair. But I can totally understand and appreciate the merits of the ebook, you can get so many on one simple little device. It is much more eco friendly and practical than carrying loads of books around with you and the impact on the rainforests will surely be a good thing in the end.

8. Amy Fowler

Amy Fowler New Member

I realize I'm from a time before the internet even existed, but in my opinion, you can't beat hard copy. Nothing compares to feeling the pages turn, dog-earing the pages where you leave off, and being able to leaf back through your favorite books to see where you stopped and started all the times you read it in the past. E-books certainly make a wide selection of options more readily available, and there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of technology, but it's just not the same.

9. franpj

franpj New Member

Boy, was I prepared to dislike Ebooks! I bought my Nook just to use as a tablet to check email, bank account, play internet Radio at work, play games on break time, but once I downloaded the first Ebook to try it out, well.
    Don't get me wrong....I love the smell and feel of old books. I'm always on the look out for them. I love browsing the used book stores, and the thrift stores to see what treasures I can find. In fact, I've found some antique books in an antique store for a dollar.
    Shows you how much they are physically worth:) But those particular books, published in 1897, are a reflection of the customs, mores, traditions, language, and fashions of that time. Somehow, older books are easier for me to read because the author/authoress was forced to have a command of the language and an extended vocabulary.
    It's not easy finding good quality, well-written Ebooks. But with my Reader, I can load LOTS of books, carry just the one device with me, and not lose my place when I close the cover.
    I'll never stop reading or collecting real books...

10. placebo_divinity

placebo_divinity New Member

We're extremely fortunate to have access to both media. Does it have to be an "or" question?

While I take great pleasure in the physicality of reading books, I keep an e-book reader app on my cell phone because of the incredible depth and variety of public-domain ebooks available. Downloading classics from http://www.gutenberg.org/ and having them available instantly is an invaluable luxury and unique to our time.

It's hard to imagine a future without proper books, but it may go that way. Literature will make its home in the best available format, as it did when the codex overtook the scroll.

11. katherinehawkins

katherinehawkins New Member

Boy, was I prepared to dislike Ebooks! I bought my Nook just to use as a tablet to check email, bank account, play internet Radio at work, play games on break time, but once I downloaded the first Ebook to try it out, well.
    Don't get me wrong....I love the smell and feel of old books. I'm always on the look out for them. I love browsing the used book stores, and the thrift stores to see what treasures I can find. In fact, I've found some antique books in an antique store for a dollar.
    Shows you how much they are physically worth:) But those particular books, published in 1897, are a reflection of the customs, mores, traditions, language, and fashions of that time. Somehow, older books are easier for me to read because the author/authoress was forced to have a command of the language and an extended vocabulary.
    It's not easy finding good quality, well-written Ebooks. But with my Reader, I can load LOTS of books, carry just the one device with me, and not lose my place when I close the cover.
    I'll never stop reading or collecting real books...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  12. yaumatei

yaumatei New Member

It's interesting to see a topic on this subject today, as a couple of hours ago I've had my first ever Kindle delivered to me! I've always been quite against e-books in general, mainly due to the fact that they just don't feel right; they're cold, soulless and do not possess that comforting smell of paper that hard copies have. But of course: the convenience. As someone who's always on the go, and who's also someone that prefers very long stories hauling around a hard copy can be so uncomfortable (and painful to my shoulders!).
    I've been playing around with my new Kindle for a while now and of course, it'll never feel like the real thing. But I am surprised at how much I've been enjoying it, the e-ink truly feels like you're reading a real book and I think it's going to do good for my bad eyesight - I get so many headaches due to the bright screen of computers.

Bottom line is: I think I'm gonna be loving my Kindle and I will be using it a lot - but they'll never beat the real thing.

13. Angel Vallejo

Angel Vallejo New Member

In my opinion, books are more practical than e-books.

Too much reading can be straining and dangerous to the eyes, especially if you're somewhat like me who just could not stop reading once I started that I even push my eyes to the limit by reading in a very low lighting environment. Cellphones, iPads and other electronic gadgets give off radiation and it is a proven fact that the radiation being emitted by our gadgets is bad for our health, in fact, it is one of the major causes of eye problems nowadays.

So, put the tiny letters in an e-book together with the gadget's radiation plus hours of that? Major nausea resulting in bad eyesight in the future. Take it from me, guys. My grade is -6.00.

And come on, who doesn't want to smell the sweet antique kind of leafy (?) scent that books emit? And that eagerness that you feel whenever you turn on to the next page, excited of what is to come next. It just feels so good. So yes, I will forevermore choose books over e-books. :love:

-Angel

14. IJSW

IJSW New Member

I'm a huge fan of the convenience of E-books. They're easier to take with you and read while you travel. They're also usually cheaper. However, you can't beat having the physical book. There's something about having a book in your hands, having the ability to write notes in your own handwriting, dog-earing pages, and truly making the book yours.

15. hallphillip

hallphillip New Member

Тоugh сhоісе. І thіnk іt аll dереnds оn whеn аnd whеrе thе rеаdіng іs tаkіng рlасе. Аlsо, thе tоріс І'm rеаdіng аbоut. Fоr іnstаnсе, І thе bооk wаs аbоut sехuаl роsіtіоns оr hоw tо рrореrlу сhаstіsе уоur сhіld...um... І thіnk І'd gо wіth аn е-bооk. Ноwеvеr, аn асtіоn расkеd nоvеl оr а mуstеrу thrіllеr? А рареr bооk іs јust fіnе.

Ноnеstlу, mауbе І'm sроіlеd bу thе lасk оf wоrk іnvоlvеd іn јust sсrоllіng thrоugh раgеs. Іt јust sееms mоrе соnvеnіеnt tо hаvе а lіght-wеіght dеvісе, wеll lіt durіng аnу tіmе оf dау оr nіght, fіts еаsіlу іn а росkеt оr рursе аnd аblе tо swіtсh bеtwееn multірlе tіtlеs аt thе snар оf а fіngеr. Мауbе І dо hаvе а рrеfеrеnсе аftеr аll. І guеss І lіkе е-bооks bеttеr, thеn. Оh! Вut hоw аbоut аudіо bооks? І'm tоtаllу аddісtеd tо thоsе. Іt rеquіrеs еvеn lеss hаnds оn rеаdіng! На На. Оh wеll, І'm јust а lаzу rеаdеr whо rеаllу lоvеs bооks.

16. rimah

rimah New Member

It depends on what I'm reading and why I'm reading. If its for my history classes then I prefer e-books so I can enlarge the words so I can read faster, however if it is for fun then I prefer paper books cause I enjoy the feel of holding a book in my hands.

17. brianlowe

brianlowe New Member

І hаvе rеаd bооks оf bоth fоrmаt - рареr аnd dіgіtаl. І bеlіеvе еасh оnе hаs іts оwn аdvаntаgеs.

Е-bооk rеаdеrs hаvе thе оbvіоus аdvаntаgе оf bеіng lіghtwеіght, роrtаblе аnd еаsу tо mаnаgе. І hаvе sоrt оf а раssіоn fоr rеаdіng аll thеsе bulkу fаntаsу fісtіоn nоvеls whісh саn vеrу еаsіlу dоublе-uр аs а ріllоw оr еvеn а dumb-bеll whеn rеquіrеd! Іt bесоmеs rеаllу сumbеrsоmе tо саrrу thеsе аrоund еsресіаllу whеn І аm trаvеllіng whісh іs mоstlу frоm mу соllеgе tо mу hоmе. І swеаr І оnсе саrrіеd lеss сlоthеs bесаusе І hаd tо fіt mу сору оf LоТR іn mу аlrеаdу оvеrflоwіng bаg! Му lіfе bесаmе а lоt еаsіеr whеn І рurсhаsеd а Κіndlе. Оh, аnd іt аlsо bесоmеs еаsіеr tо іndulgе іn уоur раssіоn whеn уоu аrе іn thе mіdst оf sау, а lесturе аnd уоu hаvе уоur е-bооk rеаdеr wіth уоu. Іt's lеss соnsрісоus! Ѕоmе реорlе аlsо tеnd tо multіtаsk аnd rеаd sеvеrаl bооks аt thе sаmе tіmе. Іt саn bесоmе suсh а hаsslе tо kеер аll уоur bооks hаndу. Е-bооks tо thе rеsсuе аgаіn! Ѕоmе аnswеrs hаvе аlsо tаlkеd аbоut thе рrоblеm оf thе sрасе оссuріеd bу рареr bооks. Тruе! Ме аnd mу dаd hаd gоt shеlvеs buіlt іn оur hоmе а fеw уеаrs bасk. Тhеу wеrе рrеttу sрасіоus (оr rаthеr, thаt's whаt І thоught!), but lіttlе dіd І knоw thаt іn а fеw уеаrs tіmе, wе wоuld bе аrguіng оvеr "Ѕtісk tо уоur shеlf!", "Саn't уоu kеер thіs Іnhеrіtаnсе trіlоgу sоmеwhеrе еlsе. Іt's usіng uр аll mу sрасе!". Νоw, І саn rоаm аrоund wіth mу еntіrе bооkshеlf іn mу јасkеt's росkеt.

Νоw, рареr bооks. І wоuld аlwауs hаvе а sоft соrnеr fоr thеm bесаusе рареr bооks wеrе thе fоrmаt І fеll іn lоvе wіth! Κаmаlіkа's аnswеr раіnts а bеаutіful рісturе оf thе mаgіс оf рареr. Тhеrе іs nоthіng lіkе thе fееlіng оf rеаdіng thrоugh а раgе, thеn flірріng оvеr tо thе nехt оnе оr fаnnіng thrоugh thе раgеs quісklу gеt аn еstіmаtе оf hоw muсh оf thе bооk уоu'vе fіnіshеd (оr hоw muсh іs lеft іn саsе thе bооk іs а tехt-bооk аnd раrt оf уоur сurrісulum). Аlsо, sоmеtіmеs уоu mау nееd tо соnsult mарs, lіst оf сhаrасtеr nаmеs оr еvеn Еlvіsh-tо-Еnglіsh trаnslаtіоn tаblеs whісh аrе usuаllу gіvеn аt thе еnd оf bооks.

Dоіng thеsе lооk-uрs оn а Κіndlе, І fіnd іs quіtе tеdіоus аnd іnvоlvеs а lоt оf сlісks! Whеn іt соmеs tо асаdеmіс dосumеnts (rеsеаrсh рареrs, аrtісlеs, nоtеs еtс.), е-bооk rеаdеrs аrе а соmрlеtе nо-nо. Аgаіn, thіs mіght bе mу реrsоnаl оріnіоn, but whеn І аm rеаdіng sоmе sеrіоus stuff, І nееd іt tо bе оn рареr sо thаt І саn hіghlіght, undеrlіnе аnd sсrіbblе dоwn nоtеs!

Ѕо, mу vеrdісt :
    Саsuаl Rеаdіng : Е-Вооks
    Асаdеmіс Ѕtuff : Рареr bооks

Оn а lіghtеr nоtе :

18. Niall95g

Niall95g New Member

Personally I do prefer reading a paperback book. Not sure why however. On the other hand, an e-book, a kindle in particular is useful as your books can be stored in a small device. This means that many books can be carried around. Being a university student this is very useful as I can have many books that I need for my course in my bag at all times.

19. Wally Z

Wally Z New Member

It all depends on the book. For novels I prefer hard copy all the way (except when I want to read in the dark). However, when it’s school time and the choice is between a 8lb textbook hard copy and a 1 lb soft copy it’s an automatic soft copy preference… I mean, who wants to walk around with three heavy books when u can conveniently have all you books in lightweight soft copy?

20. Shmangie

Shmangie New Member

I prefer the book in my hand versus reading on a tablet or computer. I just love the idea of the old fashioned reading. The smell of the books from libraries brings back a lot of memories too. Flipping each page, bending the page you left at if you don't have a book mar, and just being able to be electronic device free for a few hours is just beautiful.

21. mikie331

mikie331 New Member

I prefer E Books. I'm not a fan of the way paper feels, plus you dont have to deal with those pesky silver fish.

22. PCCS

PCCS New Member

At first I preferred hard copy books - hands down! Now, it's not as clear which I prefer. It seems like hard copy books have an old familiarity to them, but ebooks are decidedly more convenient, so it's a trade-off, and my preference is more determined by the context. If I'm on the go I probably prefer my ebook versions, but if I'm in more of a casual setting I'd probably prefer the hard copy.

23. Zephyrum

Zephyrum New Member

E -books and hard copy books are the same it depends on the reader which of these two makes them more passionate about reading. I mean E-books are quite handy but not everyone are comfortable by just sliding an amazon kindle or an ipad for me I love hard copy book even if they bother me whenever i carry them with my stuff i still want to flip a page again and again..

24. Danielle Lee

Danielle Lee New Member

I would rather have a tangible book than an e -book. The idea of curling up on the sofa or in bed with a blanket, a warm drink and a good book is more appealing than curling up with a device in my hand. I like the idea of using a bookmark to keep my place in a book as well. I have tried reading books electronically, and I don't feel that I can "get into it" like I can when I am actually holding a book in my hand.

25. tiara141

tiara141 New Member

Personally, I like hard copies because I like being able to feel the book in my hands. Also, you never have to worry about glare from the sun or any light. I like being able to turn the pages myself. Another thing is that when I have a hard copy I feel like I actually have the book and when I have an online book it doesn't really feel like I have it.

26. Avocadogirl

Avocadogirl New Member

I like both. I got a kindle when I was eleven, and got used to the lower prices and convenience. Also, looking up the definition of a word was very easy. Although I grew up as a voracious book reader, I never was the type who romanticized the scent of books. I get annoyed by hard copy lovers who call e-books "not real." A book is a combination of letters coming together to form words, sentences, paragraphs, and pages. Being snooty about hard copy books is smug. I miss my kindle since it broke, but I still love books in any format.

27. MrRecycleman

MrRecycleman New Member

For cookbooks I have to use paper, I don't like my electronics in the kitchen, I'm old school when it comes to cooking from scratch. For all others, eBooks all the way. The convenience alone is enough for me to have all the books in one place that takes less space than one traditional book would.

28. ChristopherH

ChristopherH New Member

Choosing an E-book or a hard copy is strictly a matter of what makes you comfortable. Personally I prefer a hard copy any day of the week, the weightiness of it in my hands, the smell of fresh pages, and the sound of turning pages can't be beat. Despite preferring the feel of hard copy I nowadays own more E-books, this is simply because for someone always on the go an E-book is more practical. Firstly I can buy books nearly anytime as long as I have the money, which totally beats trying out the first book of a series, and then having to go back to the store after I've decided I've liked it. Another plus is having my entire library with me anywhere I go, I can reference a book, show my friend a sample, or even look up a quote just like that. The final advantage for me, is that I can read almost anytime. I can pop out an Ipod, Ipad, or other e-reader and comfortably read most places without the fear of 'dog ears', damaged spines, or any other ailments that may befall a beloved hardcopy. The long and short is I prefer a hard copy, but E-books are the mainstay because of their practicability.

29. LadyRed

LadyRed New Member

I absolutely prefer a hard copy of a book. I agree, there is something about the feel of a book in your hands. It's like you are holding a world within your grasp. Books are thoughts, ideas, and fantasies given substance, given physical existence. There is something to that.

If today, the internet was turned off, so much would be lost forever. It would be much more difficult to destroy all the books of the world.

Besides all that, there is the medical side of it, in which we stare at screens for so long, the unnatural light will damage your eyes (yes, there are attempts to combat that with new screen types and etc).

And also, as any avid reader knows, it's much easier to get into increasingly convoluted positions with a book in your hands than to hold a computer above your head until it smacks you in the face.

30. Goodwin17

Goodwin17 New Member

I really love aspects of both, but I would probably have to say I love real paper books the best. It's really nice to be able to store all those books on my Kindle app that I can carry around. However, a real book is just a feeling and experience that can't be beat.