E-Books or Hard Copy

Discussion in 'Books' started by TeresaW, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Husko

Husko New Member

I have read several ebooks and, although the story doesn't change, and the way it makes you feel is the same, for me, the physical concept of sitting down with a flat-screened electronic device just doesn't have the same romanticism as with a paper book.

I'm a traditionalist, I love turning the pages, folding down a corner to hold your place (yes I'm one of those people, I don't use bookmarks!), and sitting in awkward positions just to take advantages of the last bit of daylight so you can continue reading. A kindle or other device takes that away. Plus, if you accidentally get a book wet, a few hours drying outside solves the problem, do that to an electronic device and, chances are, you've lost your entire library.

I love my ever filling book shelves, the comments it gets when I have visitors, and that amazing "book smell" it fills my study with.

2. liliana_marie04

liliana_marie04 New Member

I prefer hard copies. To me there is nothing better than grabbing a book and turning its pages. Then look at all the pages you have turned and know that you actually read all that. I love hard copies and my collection is getting so big that I have had to sell some of my books.

3. nailah783

nailah783 New Member

I am a writer, and I recently posed this question to my fans on my facebook page. I am curious to know what people think about this. Personally, I appreciate a hard copy book. There is nothing like turning the pages and holding your favorite book in your hand. I do have the Kindle and the Nook, but I much prefer the feel of the pages under my fingers.

4. Stoyan

Stoyan New Member

I personally prefer e-books. It's all about practicality. Having all my favorite books digitized into a little electronic device 7 inches in diameter is much more convenient than lugging heavy hard-copy books whenever you feel like reading something in particular. It's much more handy, efficient and lucrative in the long run.

5. Attenuated

Attenuated New Member

Count me among those who use electronic or digital versions for research and informational types of reading, but "real" books for enjoyment. I can't imagine that paper books will ever die out, if only because people who consider themselves bookish will always want to have shelves of books as an expression of their passion for reading. When I imagine my dream house, its walls are lined with bookshelves, and I imagine many other avid readers have a similar vision.

6. amio

amio New Member

I would read hard copy books at home it makes me feel good and relax. I really like the smell and even the sound when flipping the pages.I agree that E-books are more handy and accessible when you are always on the go. I need only to balance the usage of this two books.

7. Kathryn Adams

Kathryn Adams New Member

I understand the need for e-books;however, I don't like the idea vof e-books taking the place of hard copies. I prefer hard copies. My main argument when someone tries to convince me of the superiority of e-books is usually: "What will you do in a long-term power outage when the battery dies?" All you need to enjoy a hard copy is a little sunlight, or flashlight as the case may be. It also bothers me that when you buy an e-book, it isn't always yours. Some retailers only sell you a license to view the e-book, that they have a right to revoke at any time.

8. magniloquent

magniloquent New Member

I'm not terribly tech-savvy, so I don't think I ever would have tried e-books if I hadn't received one as a gift this Christmas. To be perfectly honest, I don't think the experience of reading an e-book is all that different than reading a physical copy. When I'm immersed in a story, I hardly even notice the format. Since then, I've read two more books that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get my hands on if I'd been limited to hard copies. E-books are incredibly convenient but real books aren't going anywhere.

I have a Tumblr, and my account's part of a community known as "booklr" where photos of books get thousands of likes and reblogs. In fact, the same book can be photographed dozens or hundreds of times by different people, and each photo will gain attention - even from people who've never read the book. People love books so much that there are hundreds, possibly thousands of blogs dedicated solely to pictures of books. They buy multiple copies of the same book just because the covers are different on different editions. And yes, most of these people also buy e-books (often, they buy e-book versions of books they already have a physical copy) because people who love books love books, whatever the format. There's no danger of e-books replacing physical books within our lifetime.

9. Kristen L

Kristen L New Member

Reading a hard copy book is an amazing experience. I love the feeling and smell of the paper. I also feel a sense of accomplishment once the book is completed. Hard copies are sacred. Ebooks are convenient and I am guilty of being a Kindle user. I have also subscribed to Audible because I love being read to. Our society has become lazy. You no longer have to physically turn a page. It amazes me how things have progressed. I will never forget the smell of the local library and agree with the others that paper books provide an unforgettable experience that ebooks cannot provide.

10. Jennifer Hook

Jennifer Hook New Member

Before this week, I would say hands down hand me a physical hard copy of a book any day over a e-reader. My daughter has asked and asked me to let her get me one so I don't have to carry the weight of a book to the doctor, etc. I have always shook my head and told her no way am I giving up my books. My laptop, I discovered this week--to be fair it is fairly new--has a nook app on it and I was able to download several hundred books this week. Now there is a big difference in what I downloaded versus what I would buy hard copy. Cookbooks, especially with the new gluten-free diet restrictions will come in handy as I figure this out. Also, patterns and craft ideas, because I just don't have enough currently pinned on Pinterest :whistle:. It is easier to look at my screen and work on a project rather than fight with a book trying not to loss my place with my hands tangled in yarn. So books for enjoyment and e-readers for food and projects.

11. KaitEveArt

KaitEveArt New Member

For me it depends on the situation. When I am traveling ebooks are so handy. However I love having a collection of paper books in my room. So if I'm buying it to read when I am home I will always go with paper.

12. M.Anderson

M.Anderson New Member

I am an avid reader, my house would be full of books if they were hard copies. They are so convenient to slip into your purse and hardly weigh anything. I love e-books and not sure what I would do without them.

13. jessiccaa

jessiccaa Member

Ew I hate ebooks. I like being able to flip the page and be able to see how far I am in the book by the thickness of the pages left. It also is much easier on my eyes. My eyes hurt after reading from a computer screen for hours on end.

14. Britt Goldman

Britt Goldman New Member

Reading is a strong passion of mine, and I have weighed this question many times. I love the instant ability to download a book and begin reading. I also like being able to slip my e-reader into my bag to take on the go. There are times when the books I choose are just too bulky. However, libraries are my sanctuary. I revel in the smell of books and the feel of one in my hands. I’ve attempted to make up for the texture issue by purchasing a e-reader cover that is more book like. It will always be an internal dispute for me!

15. angelar1985

angelar1985 New Member

I prefer the Hardcopy as well.
    The feel of the book in your hands, holding the actual book, even the smell is all part of the reading experience for me.

16. mjnine

mjnine New Member

My preference depends on what kind of book I'm reading. As a student, I prefer my textbooks in an e-book format because it's much easier to take notes while reading. It's also easier to carry around to classes. But I am also fond of writing and taking notes on books when I'm reading novels, because it's a more convenient way of analyzing the text. Another upside to hard copies that you don't have to rely on charging a device in order to enjoy the pleasure of reading. You can simply enjoy it anytime. So it really depends on what you are reading and your reading style.

17. Heather_Rose

Heather_Rose New Member

I use both, but I only read on my smartphone when I'm somewhere without a real book. I find it difficult to fall asleep reading on my phone, and I like that paper books are easy to read in varying light conditions. I get a headache trying to read from a lit screen in daylight, so I'll stick with hard copy. Besides, without my many full bookcases, my living room would look awfully bare!

18. bangitsstephy

bangitsstephy New Member

I have to say when Barnes and Nobles first came out with their Nook, my sister and dad both got one and I swore up and down I would never get one because I loved reading physical books so much. I was wrong. I am now on my second Nook. As far as which I prefer, I would have to say when I want to read mostly at night when I am trying to sleep, I prefer an e-book because I can just download it onto my Nook and no worries about needing lighting. I can also download the e-book onto my phone so I can read during my lunch break at work. However, sometimes I still crave the actual feel of a book and the smell of a book, so its really a hard decision.
    All in all I probably prefer e-books more now than physical books just because of the ease of access, being able to read when its dark, and being able to download the book on multiple devices so I don't have the extra weight of carrying a physical book around.

Sudarsan likes this.
  19. Knitty

Knitty New Member

I prefer physical books, but I'm realizing that digital books are just so much more economical. Having all my books on a tablet really saves space.

20. benjaminelwin

benjaminelwin New Member

I used to be a staunch proponent of hard copy books, then I received a Kindle as a gift. The sheer ability to store thousands of books on a single device is mind boggling. Not to mention the usefulness of a backlight and the ease of reading e-ink. I now view myself as being pro-ebooks!

21. Asiterz

Asiterz New Member

Well both have their benefits. E-books are convenient and you can carry around as many books as you want while a hard copy is easier to see in certain lighting and is also easier on he eyes in general. I personally prefer a hard copy. It might just be because it's what I grew up with and am used to but I can't get behind electronic books.

22. Sudarsan

Sudarsan New Member

Over the years, e books have made people’s access to books so comfortable that people have forgotten the feel of going to a book store and buying a book. I mean, who has the time? Everyone’s so busy running out of their homes with their bags; no one even knows what the name of the book store just past the street is. People are always searching for ways to make their life easier and here comes e-books! Just a click and you get your book parceled at your door step!

But I think that if a reader doesn’t go to a book store to buy a book, then he isn’t a reader at all! I mean anyone can go and buy a book from the internet, it’s just a click! For me, reading starts when I enter a book store, run my index finger over the books on the shelf and click on that one book with a title that just catches my mind.

And when I go the counter to pay for the coveted book, I look around and see others working their way through the books, same as I do. So, the time I step out of the book store, I’m already in the mood of reading that book in the best way ever. And this just happens every time I buy a book from a book store! Now this is what you can never feel from a virtual book store in the internet.

We Write For The Art,
    Sudarsan Karki

23. Sudarsan

Sudarsan New Member

Over the years, e books have made people’s access to books so comfortable that people have forgotten the feel of going to a book store and buying a book. I mean, who has the time? Everyone’s so busy running out of their homes with their bags; no one even knows what the name of the book store just past the street is. People are always searching for ways to make their life easier and here comes e-books! Just a click and you get your book parceled at your door step!

But I think that if a reader doesn’t go to a book store to buy a book, then he isn’t a reader at all! I mean anyone can go and buy a book from the internet, it’s just a click! For me, reading starts when I enter a book store, run my index finger over the books on the shelf and click on that one book with a title that just catches my mind.

And when I go the counter to pay for the coveted book, I look around and see others working their way through the books, same as I do. So, the time I step out of the book store, I’m already in the mood of reading that book in the best way ever. And this just happens every time I buy a book from a book store! Now this is what you can never feel from a virtual book store in the internet.

24. Neha Agarwal

Neha Agarwal New Member

For the last few years I've been using eBooks much more compared to paper books because I can carry them around with me all the time and read whenever I want but its still paper books that are the best. Holding it in your hand and turning the actual pages gives it a much more substantial feel.

25. Kass-

Kass- New Member

I generally enjoy hard books a lot more, honestly. I just find the turning of page and what not soothing, and its alot easier to immerse myself in a hardback book, I don't have any other distractions and I am only focused and worried on the book, you know?
    I mean e-books could be a lot more convenient if you read a lot and want to carry more than one book with yu at a time around in a public area. I just prefer hard-backs.

26. kiyoung

kiyoung New Member

Although a lot of people I know are against it, I prefer reading my books through e-books. They always say that I'm missing out on a huge part of reading which is having to smell that fresh book smell and be able to hear the crisp sounds of pages turning and feeling the rough or smooth texture of the pages on your fingertips. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy those feelings as much as the next bookworm but I just find e-books more suitable for me. It's efficient and handy, perfect for people like me who're always on the go. I love the idea of basically having a library with me in my gadget wherever I am and I can choose what I'd like to read for the day with just a swipe and a touch on the screen. Not to mention how much cheaper e-books are! I'm pretty sure a lot of people think otherwise but for me, it's e-books over the hard copy.

27. BethD

BethD New Member

I prefer ebooks as well. They are just so convenient to download and bring with you wherever you go. You don't have to go to a library to pick books up and have to return them. You don't have to go to a store to buy them. There are no more cluttered bookshelves in my house because of the many, many books I used to have. Ebooks are better for allergies than books because books can get dusty unless you are always careful to keep them dust free. I also agree that if you can't read the text size you can always make it a little bit bigger so it's easier to read. Reading ebooks on a phone or e reader light up so you don't need to have a light on to see to read. There are also so many free ebooks out there to enjoy so you don't have to spend money if you don't want to.

28. Tressa1220

Tressa1220 New Member

I've begun to truly enjoy the convenience of reading e-books rather than paper copies. It is so much easier to handle and read while laying down. My e-reader travels easily and always has a large assortment of books to choose from.
    I've not mastered the art of lending/borrowing e-books just yet, but even that I suppose would be simpler - no need to worry about a book being lost, damaged, or forgotten about.

29. Oddball

Oddball New Member

I have a Kindle (one of the early ones) and I really like it-- but it will never compare to the feeling of a book in your hands. I'm also one of those weirdos who really likes the way books smell. Also, as a poet, I found that when I got books of poetry on my Kindle it would mess up the formatting on the poems pretty drastically. For most anything else, it certainly would work just fine, but for poetry or other books where formatting is important, it's not so good. For anyone who's read House of Leaves, can you imagine that on a Kindle or similar ereader? What a mess!
    That being said, I also have a certain form of anxiety where I like to check how many pages there are left in a chapter I am reading, or in the book overall, and being unable to do that on my Kindle is just so aggravating. It shows a meter of how far I am in the book/in the chapter/section, but it doesn't tell me anything more than a percent.

30. Nigmamusic

Nigmamusic New Member

Personally, I do love the convenience of e-books and how easy it is to build a solid collection from the internet. However, i think i definitely would prefer to actually hold the book itself in my hands while reading it. To me the physical copy of the book is a lot less straining on my eyes while reading for long periods of time, especially at night.
    =]