Earning money as a writer

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Challenges' started by Peaceful, May 27, 2018.

1. Peaceful

Peaceful New Member

I am only recently spending more time looking into content mill type sites to make money, but there seems to be no shortage of them so there's thankfully lots of opportunities! I have seen many blogs and forums that included various recommendations of sites to check out. What have been some of the more lucrative ones for you guys and gals?

While reading through some of the comments, I did see that some members mentioned language/grammar as a challenge in their writing. I am no expert, by any means, but there are great tools available to help in these areas. One tool that you may want to consider is a free extension available for Chrome called Grammarly. Once it is installed, it will assist you in your writing by suggesting spelling and grammar changes. If you decide to use the extension's suggestions, it is as simple as hovering over the word(s) and clicking on the correction!

THE EXQUISITE likes this.
  2. THE EXQUISITE

THE EXQUISITE Member

Earning money as a writer is very rewarding and challenging because you never know what the company or individual are seeking. Like you mentioned there are a lot of freelance opportunities out in the market now from data entry to transcribing to freelance writing and as you mentioned you will never be without a job. I have experience with different writing sites like Fiverr and Mylot that offers a lot of writing opportunities, but I find Postloop to be my favorite. With Postloop I feel more at peace and feel no pressure on my writing skills and there are so many grammar software programs out there; (Grammarly) to mention one, that can assist you with your writing skills. I want to get in the publishing of blogs next, that is my birthday goal for this year. Does anyone know of any good FREE BLOGGING SITES?

3. THE EXQUISITE

THE EXQUISITE Member

What an impressive post and thanks for sharing!:)

4. filipmolnar

filipmolnar New Member

It might sound weird, but if you wanna do writing for a living, try writing erotica. It's easily the easiest genre and you can test if people would actually buy anything from you. It's a great learning experience all around, I definetely recommend it to everyone who wants to become a pro writer.

Oh and if you feel like erotica is not your thing? Do it anyway. You wouldn't believe how much your writing will improve by stepping out of your comfort zone.

Imagine you want to write sci-fi, but do childrens books instead. You will step out of the box that your writing is in as it isn't really applicable for childrens books. Same with erotica, except sex sells.

5. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Getting started as a freelance writer is not only incredibly simple, but also incredibly cheap. In fact, there is a pretty good chance that you already have everything that you need to get started today. A Computer As you may have already guessed, a computer is a vital part of your freelance writ- ing career. It does not have to be a top of the line machine. In fact, if you are on a budget then I recommend getting yourself a good refurbished unit so that you do not have to spend a lot of money on a good working computer.

6. luciab230

luciab230 Member

If you do not already own a computer and do not really have the funds to get yourself one at this time, then take advantage of the public library and use their computers until you can earn enough from freelance writing to get a cheap used or refurbished computer. Keep in mind that you can technically use a tablet or your smartphone to do your work, but it will take you considerably longer unless you have an external keyboard for the device.

7. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Keep in mind that you can technically use a tablet or your smartphone to do your work, but it will take you considerably longer unless you have an external keyboard for the device. In a pinch, I have used my Kindle to complete an assignment, but it took almost three times as long to get it done.

8. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Since you will need to look for jobs and submit completed work online, having internet access is very important. Of course, you do not have to have an internet connection at home if you prefer to use free wi-fi at coffee shops or maybe use the internet at work or at the library.

Regardless of how you access the internet, the important thing is that your connection is reliable. Freelance writing jobs usually have deadlines and if you cannot meet those deadlines, then you often do not get paid for the work.

9. Every writer needs a blog. It’s one of the best places for you to develop both your style and your audience.

When I started my blog, for example, I created a weekly roundup called This Week in Freelancing, where I explained how much money I’d earned that week. This series of posts eventually led to the How a Freelance Writer Makes a Living column at The Billfold, and then to the Tracking Freelance Earnings column at The Write Life.

Now, I did promise each of these tips would include a way for you to get paid for your writing. How can you make money from your own personal blog?

Well, you could spin a popular weekly income roundup into two columns for two separate publications. Or you could put up a sidebar ad, or a donate button. You can also include a “hire me!” link on your blog, so people who read your writing know that you’re a writer for hire.

10. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Having an email address that you check regularly is incredibly important for a successful freelance writing career. This is how you will communicate with most of your clients, especially if you are not using any of the freelance writing job hub websites. Try to use a professional email address as opposed to the same one that you've had since middle school that reads something like 'disneyprincess82' or 'lakersfan4eva.'

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  11. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Even though an email address is more important, it is in your best interest to also
    have a personal website. However, this is by no means a requirement to be a successful freelance writer. The benefits of having your own personal website include:
    •It's a good way to advertise your rates and find new clients
    •You can use it to showcase your writing portfolio
    •If you make it a blog, then you can use the blog posts as samples to send to
    potential new clients
    •It helps you get in the habit of writing on a regular basis, which only makes
    you a better writer

12. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Motivation and Time While these may seem like silly things to include in a list of freelance writing re- quirements, they are both actually vital components to a successful freelance writing career. You need to be able to complete writing jobs by a deadline. Sometimes those dead- lines are tight. For instance, I have gotten press release writing jobs that had a deadline of two hours in the past. You have to be able to drop everything and work on the job when such a thing happens. Usually, the pay rises to meet the urgency of the request, but not always.

13. luciab230

luciab230 Member

Freelance writing is not for everyone. It can be tedious, boring and repetitive. You have to really enjoy writing for this to not turn into a chore that you despise. If that happens, it will start to show in your writing and possibly cost you clients. You need to have the drive to look for freelance writing jobs/clients and you need to have the motivation to complete those jobs on-time and at a high quality. Otherwise, you are better offer looking for another type of freelance job.

14. If you'r a writer you must be good in visualizing things and make the ones who read your context see the same way of perception as you do, to make it more interesting and at the same time persuading them at your presented ideas. As a writer we must learn of how to camouflage; in other words we must know of how to adapt and interact into the environment especially into which we address our writing to make it more a lot effective. Like for example, we must be up to date into the current issue and trends that may help us in further evaluating our concepts that we will be needing in effective writing. Mostly, as a writer we must take full responsibility(including the readers that reads your work) to give responses if they have a lot of inquiries and give you a critique(even good or in a reconstructive way) no matter what the outcome of your written context, it's your responsibility to ensure that it will not make someone suffer if they don't do anything wrong.