eBooks vs Physical Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by milka4me, Oct 7, 2019.

?

eBooks vs Physical Books

1. eBooks

42.1%
  2. Physical Books

57.9%
  1. milka4me

milka4me New Member

Paper vs. digital reading is a somewhat exhausted debate. The digital world is continuing to grow, and will continue to exist and eBooks are here to stay simply because digital is. Ereading is on the rise but the question still remains: Which is better, Physical or Digital reading?

1 person likes this.
  2. majs

majs New Member

I still go for physical book...

3. AliceB13

AliceB13 New Member

Purely economic for me; physical books, especially in Romania, have gotten kind of expensive for my taste. I usually find whatever I want to read already uploaded on the internet so my Kindle is my best friend

4. royalinvidia

royalinvidia New Member

Physical books provide a unique tactile experience, and personally I find books more engaging when they don't run on a battery. That being said, I download pdfs of books and buy epubs all the time, since there's a flourishing indie market of self published or less well-known authors that can only afford to publish online. Though I prefer physical books much more for their convenience and experience, it's understandable why other people would find ebooks and ereaders much more convenient and a pleasanter experience if they have trouble reading text on a physical page.

With that being said, I encourage you all to check out sites like Archive.org, which has digitized a lot of old books(amongst other things) for free, along with planetebook.com, which has digitized a lot of classic western literature and put them online for free. The pdfs at planetebook are usually more reliable in terms of catching typos and better formatted than the volunteer uploaded content on Archive.org, but both are really great!

5. Hamdi

Hamdi New Member

an e. book and a physical book may have the same title, content and tackle the same problem, but they can never be the same. I like physical books because I like touching their papers and feel them. I like them also because they will never hurt my eyes.

6. BettyLaFea

BettyLaFea New Member

Psychology says: When you can't sleep at night, someone misses you and thinks about you.

I say: When I can't sleep at night, it means I'm reading wattpad/ebook and I'm still into my "just one last chapter" syndrome

- I think nowadays ebook is better as we embrace change also it is very convenient and it's searchability is a good advantage.

7. Teachergeorge

Teachergeorge Member

Digital reading is the new way to go. Having a smart phone or a tablet, you can carry around ten different books containing hundreds of pages. It is easy to read them wherever you may be, for example while commuting, waiting to get in an office appointment, using it as a reference while in a meeting, class or writing an academic essay. One can open each at ease and highlight the preferred pages then paraphrase them. The physical books will be bulky to carry around and will only be convenient in the office, library or study.

8. Ene

Ene New Member

I understand that technology is constantly expanding and I'm by no means afraid of it, but I still prefer physical books. One of my reasons for preferring physical books is solely sentimental. I have a habit of highlighting or underlining my favorite quotes in books. If I look back on a book after several months or even years have passed, seeing what I highlighted is a reminder of what was important to me back then, as well as what's still important to me.

Although some eReaders allow the reader to highlight passages, I have mostly found this feature to only exist in academic textbooks, and have yet to encounter an eReader with a fully immersive drawing experience. Even if they did, the ability to delete anything you're ashamed or embarrassed of actually disappoints me, as it's a way of turning away from the past.

However, along with those sentimental reasons, eReaders are simply more difficult for those with attention or memory problems. I frequently find myself forgetting the names of characters or plot points, especially if I've just started a new series or left a book untouched for awhile. With a physical book, it's easy to skim and flip through. However, most eReaders you either have to slide through dozens [or hundreds] of pages to 'skim', as your only other option is putting in page numbers, jumping to chapters, and praying that you'll find what you're looking for.

Since they can also put local bookstores out of business, and I have a couple of local bookstores I'm especially attached to, I also try to buy physical copies for that reason.

Are eReaders easier to carry and take around? Definitely. Do they allow independent writers to flourish? Definitely! eReaders aren't without their pros. But the degree of removal I feel sentimentally, the inaccessibility of eReaders due to memory problems, and the guilt of taking business away from my local bookstores keeps me coming back to physical books.

I didn't intend for this to drag on for so long...sorry!

9. Muntasher

Muntasher New Member

A good book can make you feel better. It motivates, consoles, inspires but rarely makes someone brutal. Smell of a new book cover gives me a sensation or Goosebumps sometimes. I feel lost in a dark forest, drowned in deep sea; and swimming in ponder of thoughts while reading a book. Most of the book lovers still prefer the physical book over the e-book, as it gives them pure sensation while touching a page and turning it over. Since we have entered in digital era we can’t deny the importance of digital formatted books; i.e. e-books. We spend a significant amount of time with our mobile devices which are mostly smart phones and e-books can serve a great purpose for the book lovers. One can easily store a significant amount of e-books in their smart phones quite easily and get instant access of reading anytime, anywhere.

However, one of major problems of e-book is piracy. It’s too easy to make a pirated copy of a book and upload it over internet by which the original author/publisher incur losses.

10. suby

suby New Member

eBooks are relatively easier and faster to obtain when compared to physical Books. If you face problems related to storage in your home, then an eBook would be a good solution to overcome this problem. eBooks can be obtained free of cost while you may have to pay a cost for a physical Book. Having said this, a physical Book helps to increase the overall experience of reading by bringing the added dimension of Touch and Feel.

11. Chubalina

Chubalina New Member

ebooks may be more convenient, but i always have a bias for a physical book. I absolutely love the feeling of the paper and the smell of a brand new book.

12. johnmichaelescalona

johnmichaelescalona New Member

if u can understand what the content of the book is it doesnt matter if its ebooks o physical books.
    and appreciate the writers.
    well, it just my opinion :'>

13. Ayhie

Ayhie Member

I prefer eBooks because you don't need to go out of the house to buy real one. You can buy it to digital bookstore and have it instantly. Some stories can be downloaded for free or cheaper to purchase. You can choose any genre you like and you can save all the stories you want in one devices. It is easier and convenient to carry anywhere you want. One smartphone is lighter than even one text book.
    Reading is one of my stress reliever.

14. Tarawnehh

Tarawnehh New Member

Both have their pros and cons but ithink that ebooks allowed people to read more as you can read from you cell phone , tablet , laptop also it reduces using paper which will help our environment.

15. StephWhis

StephWhis Member

Both have their good and bad. I personally prefer physical books. They've just always had a special place in my heart, and always will. I know some people don't like them for portability's sake, but I honestly wouldn't mind shoving a few of my favorite titles into a suitcase for an extended weekend if need be. If I have a choice, I'll probably always choose physical copies opposed to digital.

16. Adijenni

Adijenni New Member

I prefer ebooks it’s cheap and portable too I don’t need to carry them around.

17. Theguywhowrites

Theguywhowrites New Member

I'm definitely going with the good old physical. I mean nothing can take away the sweet smell of old books on a shelf.

18. Missbre19

Missbre19 New Member

Ebooks are convenient. You don't have to worry about traveling with a thick book or books with you wherever you go. You don't have to worry about having a bunch of books around taking up space in your home. You could have as many books as you want to be stored on the device.
    Me personally, I prefer a physical book. To me, an ebook does not give me the same feeling as if I had a physical book in my hand. Its nothing like physically flipping through those pages. When I attempt to read an ebook, I could only do it for a short period of time because it gives me a headache and it does not keep my attention. A physical book on the other hand if it is good I could read it all day without putting it down.

19. Derry

Derry New Member

I'd definitely go with ebooks as it is way more convenient and portable. In some instances it may make annotating easier.

20. WhiteWolf23

WhiteWolf23 New Member

Substance over form. I think more important is the content or substance; it maybe printed books or e-books form.

If I have the luxury of time, I prefer the printed books to avoid also blue light from devices for e-books. E-books on the other hand is super convenient, on-the-go reading or when our curiosity to read that book or article online could not wait. Just don't forget to turn off blue light on your device to protect the eyes that actually reading.

I guess e-books and printed books will continue to co-exist to one another. Just like other matters - knowledge also adapts to the environment.

21. Efrvme420

Efrvme420 New Member

Physical books are actually awesome but compared with ebooks not as accessible, I mean you could pick up and ebook fromn virtually anywhere in the world within a matter of minutes. Ebooks rock

22. Keyway

Keyway Member

Both are essential in being productive to your fullest potential. I think it's awesome that people can write Ebooks on the fly, and boom, you might have a book going viral. That part of the game just what writers needed to even the playing field, between technology and traditional book reading. As long as physical books don't go out like Cds and Dvds, it's all good.. lol

23. caroline wanjiku

caroline wanjiku New Member

I prefer physical books. With an eBook you are connected to the internet which means you are open to distractions and if you are not disciplined enough, you will fall into the temptation of social media, YouTube and ad pop ups. It always starts with one video, one Facebook post, you know, "let me see who liked that pic i posted yesterday" before you know it its been an hour. Time tends to fly while we attend to these distractions but physical books ensure that you are engaged since there are less distractions. If you are disciplined in that area well, you can do ebooks.

You can create your own library of physical books. Every time you look at it, you fell good like "wow! i have read all these books!" and this will motivate you to read more books. You can also show it off to to other people.

1 person likes this.
  24. josuel10

josuel10 New Member

I would say physical books. Books what you seen and feel makes you feel relax and extraordinary, Books that are in library offer's a variety of experience and expectations that may go to another journey.

25. elliethegypsy

elliethegypsy Member

Physical books are much better than E-books. I love how it smells and give me more feeling of attachment to the books that I read. But if you are on the road and want to read, then Ebooks are much convenient to use.

26. alexiawagor

alexiawagor New Member

I must agree to the general consensus that physical books are more appealing than eBooks. An eBook will never compare to actually turning pages. On the other hand, I enjoy the convenience of eBooks and being able to access them on a variety of devices. I can carry an endless supply of eBooks in my pocket on my phone!

27. Sueann492

Sueann492 New Member

The world is getting more technologically friendly every single day, but when it comes to reading I believe that having the physical book in your hand is way better than having an ebook. Being able to spin the pages as you go help bring out an effect in the reader where they feel like they are actually in the book, they are a part of the story. While on the other hand, reading an ebook, doesn't actually give you that effect.