Fitness after 30 or 40

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Renee Wade, May 10, 2017.

1. Renee Wade

Renee Wade New Member

Walking has always been my favorite exercise , I feel it really work my entire body, including my thoughts, because I gain clarity when I take a long walk on a sunny day . I also like to do yoga , I feel so much better emotionally when I do yoga, as if I connected to higher source. Staying fit is important to me, and my family. We try to eat healthy and only snack on sweets occasionally. We never really eat fast foods , I cook every night for my family since I have become vegan about 3 years ago. I never get sick, or feel too ill to cook but if I want or need a break from it, my family is always willing to step in and cook.

The older I get the more I realize how important it is to stay healthy and enjoy a quality life of not being ill. My oldest daughter father passed away about 6 years ago from a heart attack , he was only 40 years old. Of course this left a huge impact on my family , our lives were changed and we miss him dearly , but him being unhealthy and over weight led to his final days. We all made a vow to eat healthy, exercise more and spend more time together as a family. Where I live there is a bike path that I ride my bike on 3 days a week It's fun when my family join me and we all get a good exercise from it. Life is what you make it and I dont like to think of it being short but rather fulfilling, so why not enjoy it by being healthy and fit.

2. Efasts

Efasts New Member

I have always been physically active, and as a result I do not struggle in my 40's with staying fit. I am however, pleasantly surprised at how well my body responds to the types of training i subject it to, and my recovery hasn't changed much either. I may need a bit more recovery time if I drastically change my workout routine, but for the most part... my fitness is right up there with these young and beautiful fitness athletes. Nutrition has been very instrumental in my recovery as well.

I have been a plant based vegan for 10 years now, and I have noticed huge positive changes since incorporating a vegan dietary lifestyle with my daily exercise. I have tons of energy, I look forward to every day that I train, and every meal that I eat. That speaks volumes, because prior to this lifestyle, I would miss training sessions because I was so tired.

I highly recommend giving whole plant foods a try.

3. pbgresty

pbgresty New Member

I'm just getting back into a more conscious fitness and diet routine after many years of not really doing much. And it's amazing how after only a few days I feel better and more energetic. I used to do a lot of yoga, pilates and walking when my first child was born and my husband and I walked 4 miles a day together. Having a fitness buddy makes a huge difference. I don't have that now, although I do nag my husband to get out and walk with me and sometimes it works. But I do need to rely on my own motivation and keep the big picture in mind, the long term benefits.

So my daily routine now includes a short high intensity workout (following a youtube video!), lots of water with lemon, dog walking with added stretches and squats when they stop to do their business, eating less junk throughout the day and not late at night, and a bit of dancing in the kitchen while preparing meals for the family and my business (I'm a food producer by day). I will get back to the yoga because it is essential so flexibility and relieving the joint pain which is not going to lessen as I age!

4. zianha22

zianha22 New Member

I've had dozens of excuses why I haven't eaten healthy or exercised at certain points in my life, but I've seen too many friends and family recently get sick or even die as a result of being overweight or inactive so I've been really focusing on getting to a healthy weight. I'm finding it harder to do now that I'm over 40 but I think it's important that I stick with it and get healthy now!

5. CJ Deala

CJ Deala New Member

I am only 18 years old but I have many tips for someone trying to be fit over there 30s and 40s even 50s! Thats by training in a smart matter. Don't leave out any important steps like always stretching before and after your workout. Always listen to what your body is feeling. Just cause you worked out hard when you were 25 don,t think you,ll catch back up that quickly and also dont feel discouraged by not being the same. If your reading this, your most likely to old to compete in a pro sport so don't workout for any competition, workout cause it makes you feel good, happy, and full of energy. The last thing which is that fitness is 80% your diet. So dont have an amazing workout and think you'll get away with eating fast food. You work out to feel good, so eat to feel good.

6. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

Man! I am 46 years old. I remember going out drinking and eating greasy burgers after midnight when I was in my twenties and I swear I didn't gain a single ounce of fat! Now, if I drive by a fast food joint I feel like I gain 5lbs! LOL.

It is more intentional and harder to stay fit in my forties. I can't go out to eat any grease pit without expecting to feel sluggish and start to gain weight. In order for me to burn fat I need to stay active at least 3 times a week. I try to go hiking, play sports at the recreation center or hop on the treadmill to keep the heart rate up to burn off the calories and fat.

7. overcast

overcast New Member

Regardless of your age, you can go for walk and jogging. You can do these two exercises until you hit 70 or so. After that it may not be that easy. But you should consider doing something instead of staying idle. As sedentary lifestyle is what affects your health the most.

rduniverse likes this.
  8. Aiesha Saleem

Aiesha Saleem Member

I'm 35 and I will be 36 next month. I find myself being as tired as I have ever felt here lately. It seems to be a problem when I'm waking up tired. So what I decided to do was to keep moving, I exercise when I'm feeling my tiredest because I don't like feeling tired. So when I'm feeling really tired I get up, work out and keep it moving from there.

9. lharvey225

lharvey225 New Member

I am 41 and I have always been the one to cook a full course meal. I stopped eating fried foods around the age of 16 because of my body not responding well to grease. However about 5 years ago I had an unexpected child and it have put on a lot of weight and no matter what I do I can't seem to lose the weight. Well I have known since I was 23 years of age that I have a condition called PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) in which doctors told me I would eventually develop type 2 diabetes and they put me different medication that is suppose to help me lose weight and it was not working. I started doing my own research and found out that a person with this condition can exercise to the max and still gain weight because people with this condition have imbalanced hormones. Which means your body produces more testosterone than progesterone and your body do not utilize insulin like it is suppose to. So people like me with this condition in order to lose weight you have to first get your hormones back in balance, eat healthy foods, and exercise at least 30 min a day. Your meals need to be 5 to 6 small portions throughout the day. So being healthy is not just exercising you have to know your body and what it needs to be effective with your weight loss plan. Oh yeah and people with PCOS HIIT exercises are the best and more effective for weight loss.

10. rduniverse

rduniverse New Member

I read somewhere that there is no other exercise that can give us the benefits that we get from walking. It has even been recommended to people who are candidates for vascular surgery because of its ability to create new networks of arteries & veins.

11. rduniverse

rduniverse New Member

I completely agree that a sedentary lifestyle would very likely lead to a lot of health problems and general weakness. It is said that we lose 1% of our muscle mass for every year after we turn 40 unless we do something about it like engaging in regular strength exercises.