Forum no-no's

Discussion in 'Website Management & Blogging' started by timestandstill, Feb 15, 2011.

1. rc2007

rc2007 New Member

These are some very good suggestions. A lot of it is simple, but things that many people do not think about when starting thier website.

Also, depending on the audience of your forum, don't make it too complicated for your users. Don't make it so that people are not going to be able to figure it out. Some forum software is more complicated than others...my forum is not targeted toward computers/technology. I use SMF and will probably upgrade to xenforo at some point.

2. Femi Prokop

Femi Prokop New Member

Thanks for this post. Still learning though and oh well, it's a tough cookie! :D

3. Urbane Kanguru

Urbane Kanguru New Member

Great advice, thanks. I am going to hold a logo/banner/background contest and hopefully will have an awesome set of graphics on my site in no time. I don't think I have a problem with your other no nos

4. toetapping

toetapping New Member

Agree Spelling must be 100%. I also think you should not having too many categories as people get sick of scrolling down. I am not a sub forum person as that is extras as well. Make it easy to navigate around and colors that are easy on the eyes. The administrator has to always be friendly even though at times you feel like pulling your hair out.

To run a successful forum you need to be at it all the time.

5. luntan12

luntan12 New Member

Appreciate all the things learned came from here and congratulations for the great work.

6. toetapping

toetapping New Member

Thank you but no thank you.

7. luntan12

luntan12 New Member

What do you mean?

8. stephadel

stephadel New Member

I would say "Don't act like you are the King/Queen of the forum". There is nothing like a moderator being authoritarian or despotic to make me run away really fast. it make me feel like I am back in kindergarten when I was trying to play on the slide but there was a kid deciding who can go on it or not because he was stronger :D

9. anon1577

anon1577 New Member

There are some good points here. Some of which I added to my checklist and others I will take with me as I'm a forum owner myself.