Freelance life or regular job ?

Discussion in 'The Freelance Life' started by Jejo Fabila, Aug 31, 2017.

1. hyptia

hyptia New Member

As a student I choose freelancing job. It helps me finance miscellaneous expenses for school so that I don't have to always ask from my mom. But when I graduate I would definitely settle for a regular job because I want to have a stable work and income in the near future. However I think you can do both. A regular job on the weekdays and freelancing jobs on the weekends or when you have a free time.

2. Toni

Toni New Member

I admire mommies who prefer looking after their kids thus choosing freelance jobs. But, I do not have anything against moms who work outside the house. A regular job is a blessing! My only point is that, some moms feel so left out considering that they do not witness their babies' first talk, walk and giggle. Some even feel guilty that they do not personally take care of their children's need because they have to work for their employer. Either way, salute to all moms!

3. Redfisher3

Redfisher3 New Member

I am looking to make a transition from a regular 8-5 office job to a more flexible freelance option. The ability to make my own schedule and not be confined by the daily minutia of office work has been calling out to me for about a year now!

4. roastalmond

roastalmond New Member

After so many years of doing corporate job, I now decided to go freelance. Truly, it is hard and it is not a walk in the park. You need to have a lot of patience and tons of research. You also need to determine your passion and what is your skill to even start on working as a freelancer. And especially your reason why you have chosen to work outside the corporate world. As for me, I want to be with my family while I also earn money doing work at home. I will now have enough time to spend with them. Also I am tired of the traffic, the overtime work that lets me sleep only a few hours when I come home, and the long wait for transportation just to make it at work on time. Now I am certain that I made the right decision. Stock up on patience, determination, motivation and the willingness to succeed in the world of freelancing.

5. yehia abouseif

yehia abouseif New Member

I think freelancing is better because, nowadays, it’s becoming more and more rewarding and you can choose what fits you. Especially freelancing fits the millennial lifestyle. What is really good for us, right?
    The Millennials are going against the norm, particularly when it comes to career choices. Instead of opting for more traditional career choices, they opt for more conventional choices. They are the main proponent and driving force behind the career shift the world is witnessing today.
    Millennials are creating a new trend in the workforce. They are more likely to be freelancers to make a living. According to Lindsey Pollak, a millennial workplace expert, at least 47% of the millennial generation are leading the freelance pathway.
    According to new Pew Research Center analysis of U.S Census Bureau data, the Millennials make up the largest population of the workforce in America. More specifically, the makeup at least 34% of the American workforce and is expected to increase over time.
    Besides now being the biggest percent of the workforce, Millennials are also the biggest population in the United States. And they are starting a new trend of leaving tradition 9-5 jobs. According to millennial Branding, 60% of Millennials quit their traditional job within 3 years and over 87% of companies report a cost of $15,000-$25,000 to replace a Millennial worker. This makes Millennials sound like they are spoiled employees, but that is very far from the truth. They have really good reasons to quit a traditional job. Here are only a few reasons why:
    Flexibility and Freedom
    According to the Millennial Branding report, at least 48% of Millennials prefer flexibility when it comes to work, over the amount of pay. Freelance jobs offer this aspect of flexibility that the Millennials seek. Traditional careers and jobs take away their freedom and flexibility to a Millennial.
    Millennials prefer to work on their own time and love their freedom.
    Tech Savvy
    The Millennials grew up in a generation where technology was booming. The technology was changing at such a fast pace in their lifetime. The 8 track became a cassette tape to a CD to mp3. Hence, they were more exposed to technology and everything that pertains to it while growing up. They became the generation who is the most knowledgeable about technology and can adapt to the 21
    st
    century world a lot better than all the generations before. They are also more keen towards changes that take place in the tech world.
    That said, freelancing jobs are often online, and they include jobs such as graphic design, writing, blogging, photography, and e-commerce just to name a few. All these job opportunities require some amount of knowledge towards technology and the online world.
    Moreover, such jobs require a great understanding of networks and online hubs. Being able to understand such aspects increases the chances of making connections, as well as chances of success.
    Purposeful Labor
    Millennials are driven by their desire to make an impact from their work. In other words, Millennials not only wish to experience personal fulfillment but make a difference in their workplace, as well as the society. If they lack this, they tend to defect from whatever company or organization they work in.
    However, freelancing gives them personal fulfillment as it allows them to do work that they are passionate about as it is more often creative tasks. The online world also allows them to make meaningful connections that could increase their potential and success.
    Financial Security
    The Millennials entered the job market at the beginning of an economic depression. Hence, finding jobs proved to be difficult, and that possibly pushed Millennials to explore new avenues. Whatever the case, freelancing offers variety in terms of work projects. Also, it challenges individuals in different ways.
    This tends to draw the Millennials, who not only love variety and change but love a good challenge. The variety also allows them to have different avenues of income. One can earn money from their online shop while writing and engaging in photography work at the same time.

6. joshua123

joshua123 New Member

It does not depend on you; rather it depends on your priorities. If you love spending time with yourself then freelancing is for you; as you will get to work as per your convenience. You need not have to take the crowded bus or metro to office every day, rather you can travel in off hours to your desired places after finishing work in your convenience. If you already have a full time job, I suggest not leaving it. First, taste freelancing and see if it suits you. Work as a freelancer during weekend and see how you feel about it. There are many people, who do both, if they are able to manage time. So, gradually establish yourself as a freelancer without leaving your job.

One good thing that has happened is that, one can now find creative service market place, which acts as a platform between clients and freelancers. Moreover, you can work for different clients at the same time and gain enormous experience. There are many people who are unable to work from home as they require the office atmosphere to concentrate. For them, freelancing will not be a cup of coffee. So, you need to prioritize your needs first and then take a decision. All the best!

7. JackOAT

JackOAT New Member

I prefer working freelance because of its ultimate freedom and flexibility. I can choose to work whenever and wherever I want, as long as I have an internet connection. I don’t have to deal with everyday traffic and toxic people at the office. I can enjoy the convenience of my home while working and also be able to maximize my time and work during my most productive hours. And most of all, I can keep all the profits from my large and small projects and clients. And I’ll become more responsible because I have all the control.

8. Mariana Chevrand

Mariana Chevrand New Member

I think that having a regular job is only valid if the payment is very good because it takes too much time of your day. If you work long hours and have an underpayment, it is certainly best to be a freelancer.

9. shaknaks10

shaknaks10 New Member

Personally for me, I'd prefer freelancer over a regular job even though we know that both have their own pros and cons
    The only *tough* part of this question is that people tend to have a hard time deciding what they actually want. They tend to try to answer the question one way or the other instead of simply deciding what they want out of their work life. Figure that part out first, then decide which path gives you the most of what you want.

10. kendyke

kendyke New Member

Being a freelancer is better than having a regular job. Freelance life gives you opportunity to be in charge of your life. You set your time and pace of work. It actually requires patience and endurance because you may not have work to do every time. When you have a regular job, you are mandated by rules to come to work even when you are down and don't feel like working.

11. JCyap

JCyap New Member

I am freelancer too for almost a year now. Sometimes it’s hard managing your time, maybe because I am still a newbie in this field but I always try to become a better version of me, that’s not stoping to acquire knowledge in my field. It is rewarding if acquiring that knowledge will get you paid. In my line of work, I deal with designing which takes a lot of inspiration and takes a lot of time, sometimes I think of quitting freelancing but I dont want the 8-5 schedule of work daily plus the traffic plus the expenses of going to the office. And so I would always choose to be a freelancer, I can do my hobby at the same time. Well, you just have to practice the art of making it a habit because freelancing is prone to procrastination. You take a rest for a day or two then you did not notice that it’s been a week already. That’s the hard part of freelancing.

12. klouvalenz87

klouvalenz87 New Member

I used to have a regular job before (for 10 years). It was too demanding, time-consuming, unlimited work but limited pay. I resigned last year due to my family's (particularly my children's) needs and am doing freelance job from time to time. I could say that freelance job enables me to juggle my schedule as I please, prioritizing my family, taking care of my kids, working while at the same time learning new skills and enjoying the pay. =)

13. hedro3

hedro3 New Member

Regular job for now. I'd hate to sit at home on a daily basis and do the same thing over and over again. Variety is important for me including seeing different sights and sounds. But if freelance work provides a good, comfortable income, I may consider freelance work instead. Best to have a mix of both a regular job and do freelance work on the side, though.

14. jomjom

jomjom New Member

For me, it would depends on the perception of each individual. Others would prefer to have a regular jobs since they would provide, of course, a regular income for them. However, there are certain downsides on this. One is being away from your family. Next is being stuck on your job, without knowing that there is more to explore than working on your job. In my case,I would settle for freelancing. I've been working away from my family for almost 10 years. Then suddenly it just came across my mind that there are other ways to earn substancial income without leaving my family. So I decided to resign and stay for good with my wife and kids. No regrets, despite the fact that what I'm earning right is less than half of what I was earning before with my previous jobs. As what I've said, it will all depends on how you perceived things in life.

15. msjillian

msjillian New Member

The freelance lifestyle is built on the idea of having more time to do what you love. Most freelancers express that the reason they do what they do is because of the freedom. The freedom to work from home, be their own boss or to have the flexibility to travel when they want. Yet for most, freelancing pushes them into a world where they are frantically looking for more work and a full calendar. It’s this that results in many freelancers being met with burn out and killing their own business and personal relationships along the way.

16. msjillian

msjillian New Member

Freelancers have almost complete control over managing their own reality as it relates to work-life balance. Freelancers don’t have to build their life around a corporate work schedule imposed by the higher ups. Freelancers can create a work life reality that fits their own expectations and unique circumstances.

17. Ronald Duldulao

Ronald Duldulao New Member

Both freelancing and having a regular job have their specific advantages. In having a regular job, you can earn regular money for your regular expenses like monthly rent, house maintenance, allowance for your children, etc. In this, you can work with your expertise, with what you've studied for a very long time. First, everything will be new and uncomfortable for you. But as time passes by, you will get used to it and soon you will enjoy it. But the problem in having a regular job is that you do not choose what work to do, you do not choose when you will be working and you will not choose who your boss will be. In freelancing, yes, it is good, but in a way that you will do this just to have extra income with your regular earnings. The good thing in freelancing is that it is very flexible when it comes to time, work and employer. You have the freedom to choose what will you work and when will you work. For me, having them both will lead to financial success.

18. elilinde

elilinde New Member

Freelance life or regular job? Currently I am a freelancer for a year now and I can't see myself going back to a regular job. Although having a regular job has its own benefits but I wouldn't trade the life of a freelancer. I get to choose when I want to work and where so I have time for my friends and family. I don't have to be stressed out with deadlines from a boss who sometimes does not understand his/her employees but rather just look at you like your just another number that adds to his/her statistics. Both has its own pros and cons depending on how you would see it and accept it. It is risky to be a freelancer but I must say it's a risk worth taking.

19. seyj0508

seyj0508 New Member

For now I want freelance job. I'm a full time mother and would definitely love to stay at home to take care of my child. But if given a chance I would like to work on a regular job. Because regular jobs has its bebefits that freelance job don't have. Like insurance, monthly contribution and sure money every month. But I must say that in freelancing you have the time to spend more time for yourself and for your love ones as well as earning money at the same time.

20. msjillian

msjillian New Member

As a freelancer, you truly are in control of what work you do. You have complete control over the type of projects you go after and have complete control over the clients you serve. It might not seem like it as you’ve been accepting every potential project that comes across your desk but that’s not the best approach. You need to be willing to say no.

21. msjillian

msjillian New Member

As a freelancer, you also enter into contracts, but with many “employers.” The deal is that you will do a certain type of work, but you can generally do the work at any location you choose, and the work is usually on a project-by-project basis. In return, you get paid for the work you do according to a fee that you and the business mutually agree to for each project. There are usually no benefits. Your contract is non-exclusive, meaning you may work for as many other businesses as you like.

22. Reena99

Reena99 New Member

For me freelancing is the best work as it allows me to work freely and I deliver my best when I enjoy my freedom. Office work is as good as slavery. The regular job can be dull and boring if one doesn't enjoy doing it. I enjoy writing as it keeps me in my comfort zone. I write in my style and at my pace which provides me liberty and inspiration to work harder. Freelancing can be sometimes tricky especially in the beginning where we are uncertain about our bill payments for next month. Patience is the key factor here to achieve success.

Awe-inspiring stories of individuals who successfully work as freelancers can act as proofs. These stories conclude that freelancing is not as bad as what people state and pass out their judgments when they fail after a few attempts. It is about liberty, freedom and hard work. It is about getting a better version of ourselves and delivering our best and what freelancing promises us is the scope for improvement and working with variables. Thus, freelancers enjoy much exciting life when compared with a regular employee.

23. belen habal

belen habal New Member

I would choose regular job rather than freelancing job. There are lots of benefits you can get when you are working on a regular job and it is more secure compared to freelancing. In a regular job you will get monthly income, annual leave, sick leave, you are also eligible for paternity leave or maternity leave, some of the company provides bonuses and incentives too. In a regular job you are not only working alone, you are working with many people who have lots of experience which can help you to grow as an individual. It also helps you to build your confidence, strengthen your mind and spirit, unlike freelancing job.

24. Bacon

Bacon New Member

I came from a regular job and I am not satisfied with the way things turned out. Maybe a big factor why I'm disappointed was the company where I worked before. Another reason is your co-workers. It's hard to work as a team if you are not in tune with your subordinates. Also the time you are investing towards a regular job is factor. You work all day just to be paid for a small amount of money is tiring.

So here I am, looking for opportunities as a freelancer. I am yet to discover whether a freelance life or a regular job.

25. myblogger

myblogger New Member

I prefered to have both because having a job is good but at this life you must a have sideline like freelancing. Having a regular job is very good because from that you will have a regular income to buy foods for your family, pay your bills, pay the tuition of your children. But on the other hand having sideline job is also a good one like freelancing, if you have time you can do freelancing, you accept jobs or projects from your clients and earn money from it. But if you are going to freelancing job make sure you join to a very reputable sites that offers many freelancing jobs and pays you for your job done.

26. abbey fred

abbey fred New Member

Both, Regular primary and freelance secondary. One of the best thing is having a regular job because it will be like a fixed deposit very sure and reliable that at the month i will get so so so amount of money and freelance will just an aid to the income..

27. Tarik Hadzic

Tarik Hadzic New Member

Nowadays, most people recognize freelancing as a ''regular'' job. When it comes to it, I would likely prefer to freelance and work on a couple of projects at a time, making my obligations diverse instead of doing the same process over and over again for 8 hours a day until retiring. When you think of it like that, some might agree that freelancing is better. I'm in that category. But, you also have to think about the disadvantages. The main one about freelancing is job insecurity. You can't really have a stable job and therefore income as a freelancer, especially if you're just starting out. That is something that intimidates a lot of people. You might also argue that ''regular'' jobs can be insecure too and you can get fired and that's true. But generally, freelancing brings more risk. As a student, I prefer to freelance, because I don't have time to do a full 8 hours day of work. Freelancing, especially as a writer is something that you can start doing, do it for 20 minutes, get tired and postpone it. After an hour or two, everything is still the way you left it and you can continue working after you find motivation. Both have good and bad sides, as pretty much everything in life.

28. ChrisGale

ChrisGale New Member

Freelance work is the better option. A regular job has too many limitations. Research after research has shown that people who work on a freelance basis have more freedom when it comes to choosing specific daily job tasks.
    As a freelance worker you get to decide and even schedule your own Key Performance Indicators (KPI's).
    Individuals working regular jobs are hindered in their performance growth because the scope of their work activities is limited to what their manager/supervisor requires of them.
    If you wish to grow as a person and a leader then freelance work should be your obvious career choice.

29. RnM02

RnM02 New Member

In my personal opinion, having a regular job is more important because you have your regular income which is great because you dont need to worry paying your bill, your groceries even a budget for small things. On the contrary having a freelance job was also great but its just a bonus if you have a regular job. More extra jobs, more income, more budget all in all.

30. JHOCEL HIZON

JHOCEL HIZON New Member

Freelance. Yes, i prefer being a freelancer that to have a regular job. Freelancing gives me a lot of opportunity to learn new things, develop my skills , enjoy my job and manage my time without being stressed to my boss and workmates. No more waking up early, I can manage my schedule but I still receive the same amount when I'm on a regular job. It also helps me consume more of my time with my family.