Freelancer or Employee? Who needs to be more cautious?

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by izay, Aug 14, 2017.

1. eli414

eli414 New Member

I think freelancers need to be more careful about who they work with, while typical employees need to be careful about what they work for. Freelancers tend to either know their worth, or be desperate for money, and so they don't need to be as careful about things like salaries. Typical employees, though, need to make sure they're earning what they deserve. Women especially are unlikely to stand up for themselves and ask for a raise, even if they deserve it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davids...k-for-a-raise-the-dos-and-donts/#4b2920b709bb

This article has some tips on how to handle the awkward conversation. Your salary should, at a very minimum, be keeping up with inflation. If you've been loyal to a company and they haven't increased your pay, consider looking for another place to work -- or at least threatening to, and see if that gets your boss to pony up.

Freelancers need to be careful that the people or companies they're working for are actually going to pay them. If you're not sure if a site is actually going to pay out, Google their name + "spam" to see any warnings from previous workers.

Good luck earning money, don't give out personal info unless you need to, and stay safe!

1 person likes this.
  2. Prosper4ever

Prosper4ever New Member

Thanks for sharing this ;-) I'm starting to learn about freelancing jobs as a full-time mom :)

3. loucynch07

loucynch07 New Member

For me freelancer is the best one, because as employee you stay at company 8 to 12hours by doing your job responsibilities, and your salary is daily basis or monthly, then for freelancer, you can set your free time or what time you available, or you can manage your time and you can do multi task to maximize your earnings,

4. redwarriorist

redwarriorist New Member

Freelancer or Employee? Who needs to be more cautious? I am currently working in a government as employee. Since I assume in the government as worker is helpful and how so ever greenpastures to me. But this field is so much limited in my country. In my working hours, always in my tasks from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and all I want to do is focus to my boring assingments. In my country, the salary is not so big wage and just right for my needs. But as employee, you are secured and you have a benefits. This is the positive matters.

In Freelance is promising because you own your time, you have many clients or customers and you earn lots of money but the problem is not secured and seasonal jobs. But the question that 'Freelancer or Employee is I prefer as Freelancer. Why? Because I am working many years as an employee. I'm tired to work this field and I have many knowledge to contribute and it is enough to prove myself to do the task as freelance. In short, it is so risky as Freelancer. :)

5. jmai2026

jmai2026 New Member

Probably the freelancer. Most of your clients won't pay until the freelancer has already finished the job and most importantly, the job was done well, otherwise it will affect your success in the future. That is the drawback of being a freelancer. Some of the freelance job has no contract. So before taking a job you should look at who are you working for and make your best shot in doing the task.

6. prescilla

prescilla New Member

For me i think it doesn't matter between the two as long as you know how to handle the situation, being a freelancer is not that easy the same with employee too. because the two are the same has a boss, the best in there if you are the boss.But now a days you need to face the reality that life is not really that easy, most of us needs an extra income to sustain to our daily needs brcause if we depend only on our salary as an employee then it's not enough. we need to have this freelance also to double our income, but MOST OF ALL THE BEST IF WE WILL BE THE BOSS IN THAT COMPANY......

7. enilanyer

enilanyer New Member

Both employees and freelancers should be cautious because of the information that we provide to the employers. We have to be cautious about the job offers that we are applying to avoid ourselves from being in danger. Some employers may be a fraud or a scammer so it is important for us to be knowledgeable of the company that we will apply to know if it is a legitimate company or not.

We also have to be careful in performing our tasks as an employee or freelancers because there will still be others who will bring you down to destroy your reputation.

So both employees and freelancer should be very careful.

8. Angelondrei

Angelondrei New Member

I would rather be a freelancer than to be an employee. First of all, who wouldn't want to spend more time to your family? I really.love the idea of working at home. You don't need to wake up early and be on your office on time, you don't have to be in a formal wear or in uniform, be in your pyjamas is all right! And since we all know the struggle of finding a job is not easy, but in freelancing you control the workload, the workplace, and most especially you can manage your time the way you want it. That's the beauty of freelancing.

9. crisandra.bruno

crisandra.bruno New Member

I am willing to give up my something very special to me just to have a freelancing career. For me, this will be a sign that I made it. This will be like a liberation from the 8 to 5 grind. And most of all, I will be my own boss. Freelancing means you will be in control of your career. I can do more and get more. As an employee especially in a small company , it is very difficult to grow your career not to mention your pay.

10. jeffreyjose

jeffreyjose New Member

I love to be a freelancer. I can go where i want to go and do whatever i want to do. To be an employee is good if you have a good employer and good co-employees.

11. romy_ter

romy_ter New Member

I choose to be a freelancer. I have my own time, i can manage my time later, today or tomorrow, no one will shout on you at your station, can escape the traffic everyday, no toxic co-workers, I can take my break anytime I want or even longer and i can spend most of my time with my kids. For me this is the best part-earning while taking care of my family at home, something you can never trade to anything in the world.

12. Madhesi

Madhesi New Member

Cautious?? both have enouugh reasons to be extremely cautious. so extreme for both that it's hard to tell who needs to be more cautious than the other. But you work in a company and what is it falls? or just like banks, if they discover an app that can do the work that you propose for the bank? you lose your job automatically.

13. miro.espiritu123

miro.espiritu123 New Member

Actually, I cannot tell, I've been employed for quite some time now and I've resigned to my work and started working as a freelancer hoping that my decision would bear its fruit soon. Fingers cross. :D

14. gabridosilang

gabridosilang Member

I think you should be cautious if you wanted to have both. You should know your responsibilities as well as the company. They should be fair enough in terms of their rules and benefits depends on the performance of their employees.

15. Simple_me18

Simple_me18 Member

While I have spent many years in an exclusively freelance capacity, I’m very aware that I have given up some of the benefits that come from being an employee. Employees get subsidized insurance, sick days, vacation days, matching retirement contributions, raises, bonuses, and often the camaraderie of a core set of colleagues as well as a feeling of belonging. And to add to that, one of the biggest benefits of being an employee is having a level of job safety that comes from being an employee. No, nothing lasts forever, but employers will generally work harder to hold onto good employees than good freelancers when times get tough.
    Even though I’ve given up those employee benefits, however, I realize the many benefits to being a freelancer. For one thing, my hourly rate is higher than it would be as an employee, and any profit goes to my business instead of to an employer’s. As long as work keeps flowing, this more than covers any subsidies that I’d get as an employee, as well as compensates for making the choice to take some unpaid days off. As a freelancer, I can choose to use my work time to have paid or unpaid exciting UX adventures and use those adventures to both be a part of a community and simultaneously work to build that community – so it is also possible to create a socially cohesive set of colleagues as a freelancer.

I can also use as much of my non-billable time as I wish to seek out new work and do business development (a must as a freelancer!) so I can be directly responsible to keep the pipelines full. Personally, while I’ve certainly had periods of billable work drought through the years, looked at on an annual basis, I’ve never really come out behind what I think that I would have made as an employee.

16. jack18

jack18 Member

''freelancer''
    Even though I’ve given up those employee benefits, however, I realize the many benefits to being a freelancer. For one thing, my hourly rate is higher than it would be as an employee, and any profit goes to my business instead of to an employer’s. As long as work keeps flowing, this more than covers any subsidies that I’d get as an employee, as well as compensates for making the choice to take some unpaid days off. As a freelancer, I can choose to use my work time to have paid or unpaid exciting UX adventures and use those adventures to both be a part of a community and simultaneously work to build that community – so it is also possible to create a socially cohesive set of colleagues as a freelancer.
    I can also use as much of my non-billable time as I wish to seek out new work and do business development (a must as a freelancer!) so I can be directly responsible to keep the pipelines full. Personally, while I’ve certainly had periods of billable work drought through the years, looked at on an annual basis, I’ve never really come out behind what I think that I would have made as an employee.

17. vheeno

vheeno New Member

For an employer, it is more practical to hire a freelancer expense-wise. But, integrity maybe a gray area. Most employers prefer office-based employees for security and confidence because of visibility and easy access for collaboration in-person.

18. schesison

schesison New Member

If you wanted to be hassle free and don't want to have a boss then I highly recommend freelancing but it is more difficult for us to have a stable salary than having an employer. If you are single without a child then working with an employer is better than freelancing. Atleast see the world before engaging yourself in freelancing lifestyle.

19. alexis.ternate

alexis.ternate New Member

Both needs to be cautious. Freelancing and having a full time job is a similar things. You still have obligations to be aware of a list of "To do" to be done. Remember we are earning on any of the two, so make your clients or employer satisfied for what you are delivering for them to feel they paid you for a good result.

20. Art Bryan

Art Bryan New Member

I think both needs to be more cautious because they are dealing different kind of risk that may cause damage to their selves so it would be better to be aware all the time.