Getting past writers block

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by Blobfish, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Blobfish

Blobfish New Member

Does anyone have any tips for getting over writers block? I have started writing so many stories but then I eventually get stuck, take a break, forget about them, and start a new story. I’m trying to break the cycle and actually finish one of them before jumping into the next one.

I’ve been trying to overcome this by writing outlines. It’s been helping me stay on track but sometimes I still get stuck trying to fill in the details to move the plot along.

How do you deal with writers block and staying motivated to finish a story?

2. Ariel312

Ariel312 New Member

Continue writing. The only method I have found that helps me recover from writer's block is writing. You do not need to follow a set goal or attain a perfect paper at the end of your session, you just need to write. The insecurity and uncertainty that creeps up slowly restrict your ability to express freely, which in itself is a major reason why we writers are not able to always follow a linear method of execution in creating our plots.
    Another reason I have found in myself that stops me from continuing through with my stories is the fact that I am too involved in getting it all perfectly right, and as the pauses between writing increases due to constant editing, the flowing creativity gets blocked and eventually, my story gets stuck. Write without any expectations and let the mistakes linger until you are done with the write-up. It is one of the best ways to ensure that you do not expect a lot from yourself and end up not attempting at all.
    As for the stories that have not been completed, revisit them when you are on a creative high and I am sure you will find a different direction to pursue with new found inspiration. All the best! :)

3. SaraJenn1

SaraJenn1 New Member

I used to have the same exact problem as you and the best advice I can give you is, as mentioned above, continue writing! Even if you think that what you are writing is complete trash and not worthy of being in your story, write it anyways. There's always a delete button or an eraser lying around somewhere.
    There are tons of pages filled with paragraphs that will never make it to the final cut of my stories, but while writing I noticed how I started to actually get good ideas. It also makes it a habit to continue writing if you do it at least an hour a day, if you stop writing because you have no 'good ideas' for your story then it makes it much harder to get back in to it later on. You can't wait forever to get your creative juices flowing or else you may never finish. It was hard at first, judging myself because I was writing something I wasn't proud of but it really does help, and wether you believe it or not it's much better than waiting for you to get inspired by something just to continue for only a short ammount of time.
    Wish you the best of luck, happy writing!

4. LiaPalasin26

LiaPalasin26 New Member

Eryone has experienced writer’s block at some point in time – whether it’s while writing a college essay, a course research paper or a first-draft of a dissertation. Whether or not writing comes naturally to you isn't the issue - it happens to everyone and everyone needs to write something at some point in their academic career. No matter what you’re writing about, writer’s block can literally put a roadblock in your path to success. Getting rid of it will help you continue your stream of productivity and allow you to move forward in your tasks.

Here are some tips to get over writer's block

1, Stop Trying to Write : Rest your brain, Walk away. Do something else that takes your mind off of trying to write. It may be that your brain just needs a break and some time to recharge. There’s nothing wrong with stopping for a while and picking up where you left off after you’ve had a break.

2. Use a Different Writing Tool : Switch from Microsoft Word to Google Docs. Or type your post directly into WordPress. Switch from a serif to a non-serif font. Or try a script font and change your font color to blue. Or my favorite option: Increase your font size.
    It seems silly, but it’s amazing how those small changes can cure writer’s block and make writing interesting again.

3. Stop Worrying About the Grammar :
    Trying to write the perfect post can discourage you from writing.
    Stop trying to be perfect.
    Accept your first draft may be crappy. Just write as fast as you can. Editing can come later.

4. Get Your Inner Critic On The Side : The difference between good and great bloggers is your inner critic, your inner critic can help you become a better blogger. So how do you get him on your side?

Start writing a few practice paragraphs. You’re just warming up. Listen to your inner critic to see how you can improve. Write and edit as you go.

Your inner critic doesn’t need to be your enemy. He could be your cure for writer’s block. Make him your friend.

5. Ricardo De Hoyos

Ricardo De Hoyos New Member

I think writers block is a byproduct of perfectionism. Most of the times that I get the dreaded ¨writers block¨ I can notice that, subconsciously, I am putting to much pressure on myself to write something as perfectly as I can. On the contrary, whenever I start doing the work without thinking too much about it I find that my creativity flows much better.

6. violablue

violablue New Member

I would agree with many of the previous posts here. In my own experience, writer's block is caused by setting unrealistically high expectations for a first draft. It is helpful to always think of writing as a work-in-progress. After all, your writing would likely be revised more than once before you send it for official review or publication. I, for example, continue to struggle with writer's block when I work on chapters of my doctoral dissertation because I think about academic standards, my committee's expectations, or the comments I would receive from an external reviewer. It is not surprising that all of this makes me anxious and demotivates me. Another reason for writer's block is when a writing project is of longer length, for example a book or a dissertation. In such instances, it is useful to think of it as chapters, or, in other words, to divide the writing into manageable smaller pieces. I hope that this helps! Also, please remember that you are not alone in this. Everyone struggles with writer's block at one point or another in their writing.

7. ewapc101

ewapc101 Member

Maybe you’re like me and sometimes feel more like Kafka than Faulkner and London. You sit down at your computer to begin writing, but instead you find yourself having a stare down with the blank screen. You may type a few lines, but after several minutes you delete everything. You just can’t seem to find the right words to continue.