Growing hair quickly

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by tahmkench, Aug 11, 2016.

1. tahmkench

tahmkench New Member

Hello !

So I know there is no miracle pill that will make my hair long over night, but I'm really sick of my actual lenght so I wanted to know if there was any way (Maybe something to eat ? More proteins ? More fats ? I don't know anything about hair...) to make it grow faster.

My hair fell because I have a long past of bleaching and coloring it and when I was younger I was not very informed about what to do and what NOT to do and I did some pretty bad stuff (like bleaching too many times in a short time frame, not allowing them enough time to recover, etc...)

I already eat nutritional yeast every day, and soak my hair in coconut and castor oil once a week, only wash them once a week, and I have to say it helped a little but nothing too dramatic? They do look good though, so that's already a good point.
    Obviously I don't bleach them (I am naturally a really dark brown, colored ginger at the moment, it's been 3 months since I didn't bleach my roots... I may bleach them a little in a month or so, but I will be really careful to not let the product sit in too long as I only need my hair to be yellow-ish), don't apply any heat on them... etc.

So... if someone has a secret or something really helpful to help hair grow quickly... I'm all ears !

2. dkenny

dkenny New Member

You aren't going to grow long hair overnight. However, there are simple things you can do to help in the long run. First of all, try to limit the amount of heat on your hair to very little, or even not at all. This means do not straighten/curl your hair often, and try not to blow dry it. Also do not brush your hair when it is wet- this will create breakage which stops the hair from growing. Instead of a brush use a comb, or buy a wet brush- they are very cheap. Continue using coconut oil, and make sure you are massaging it into your hair for at least 4 minutes to stimulate your scalp. Another tip I learned is when you are washing your hair, shampoo your hair twice. The first time is to wash the majority of your hair. The second time is to focus on the scalp. This is supposed to help with hair growth. Also if you get a trim every 3-5 months your hair will look healthier which makes it look longer.

PAMELA BISCOCHO likes this.
  3. Khoop3r

Khoop3r New Member

Get pregnant. ;)

OK, that will work, but if you're looking for a different sort of suggestion, maximize the hair you have by:

• Washing it a few times a week, not daily
    • Never going to bed with wet hair
    • Skipping the blow dryer or harsh styling methods as much as possible
    • Taking a vitamin to support healthy skin and nails
    • Eating a healthy diet

If you have started to lose hair, go to the doctor and get checked out. Hair loss can be a symptom of a thyroid problem, or even deficiencies of vitamin D, B12, magnesium, iodine, iron or zinc.

4. Santina Branch

Santina Branch New Member

I have been using Amla Powder for a year and a half now. Amla powder is derived from an Indian gooseberry plant. It is an all natural powder with no chemicals. The results have been amazing. My hair is nocticeably thicker and I don't shed as much. I take warm coconut oil and mix the powder together. For easy application, I take a cotton ball and dab it into my roots. Depending on my day I try to leave it in for at least one hour, but you can leave it on for more. I then wash and style my hair like normal. I would do a skin test on my wrist first to see if you have any allergic reaction first! Hope this helps!

5. april.hunt

april.hunt New Member

First step towards improved hair growth is a well-balanced diet. Your hair is made up of protein. So eating a protein rich diet is important. There are a lot of other minerals that important for hair growth such as zinc, magnesium,etc. Additionally, massaging your hair with coconut oil also helps in hair growth as well hair health. I have also tried the "Inversion" method for faster hair growth and it did work for me. So for faster results, you can try the Inversion method.

6. Tammy Frazier

Tammy Frazier New Member

Amla powder/coconut oil mixture on the scalp is wonderful for hair growth, as are castor oil and the inversion method. I have times when - due to my stressful job - my hair starts to fall out. I use the items listed above to get me back on the right track. Another thing that helps is scalp massages. And to stimulate the hair follicles, try using tea - but make sure it's the caffeinated kind. Put a bag of tea in some hot water and wait 5-10 minutes for it to infuse. Put the tea in a bottle with a slim neck. (You can find them in the beauty section of the store or at a beauty supply store.) During your regular shampoo and condition routine, put the tea on your scalp right after the shampoo and before the conditioner. *Make sure the tea is not hot.* Massage this into your scalp, rinse it out, then continue with your regular conditioner.Caffeine is a good hair-follicle stimulator. (Do a patch test first before doing the whole head. I just don't want to be accused of having you do something that your scalp doesn't like. LOL!)

7. shehriikhan17

shehriikhan17 New Member

Yes, you can get your hair to a mermaid-worthy length. Remember that it can't grow overnight. And don't shampoo every time you shower. Apply an oil or mask treatment weekly. Consider trying hair-boosting supplements. Brush your hair like it's spun from gold. Ditch your cotton pillowcase.

8. HelenRenee'

HelenRenee' New Member

The best hair growth concoction: 1/4c olive oil & 1 egg. Massage this on your roots twice a week. You will not be disappointed. Massaging your scalp promotes hair growth, while the proteins of the egg fortify deep into the hair follicles. The olive oil also has protein and vitamin E to nourish your hair.

samtraxplores likes this.
  9. melodie23

melodie23 New Member

I am currently pregnant right now and let me tell you those prenatal pills do the magic ! Before I took prenatals my hair was super short and damaged. Now after so many months of taking them my hair has grown healthy and long. I stopped dying my hair due to the damage as well. Its been 1 year since I have dyed my hair and it has gotten stronger. Another things that also works is mane N tail shampoo and conditioner. It is supposed to be for horses and humans as well. It makes my hair grow extremely fast ! I searched up plenty reviews on it before I bought it and they where mostly all positive.

10. Shyla

Shyla New Member

I would give cedarwood essential oil a try! Cedarwood essential oil is known to stimulate the lymph system which can promote new follicle growth. It can also prevent hair loss as well. Last year my 8 year old son had ringworm. A patch of hair had fallen out and wasn't growing back. I applied cedarwood essential oil straight to his scalp, and his hair starting growing back in only 2 weeks!

11. XoxoDee

XoxoDee New Member

Growing your hair out is quite a bit of a process but I can tell you first hand it is very much possible. First thing I would recommend is going out to your local grocery store and picking yourself up a jar of ORGANIC coconut oil. Coconut oil as it turns out isn't just for cooking, all of the vitamins it has helps to grow your hair out. Now the process is very simple, all you need to do is saturate your hair in coconut oil. Scoop a spoonful of the coconut oil in your hands and the heat from your hands will melt it and then you just lather it in your hair. Allow the coconut oil to set in your hair for at least 4-8 hours or overnight if you can. Wake up the next morning and wash your hair normally. Although washing your hair twice might be a better idea so its not so greasy. If you have weak brittle hair I also suggest adding an egg to the melted coconut oil as the egg will help to strengthen your hair. Leave the egg and coconut oil mixture in your hair for about 45 minutes and rinse off with cold water, make sure the water is cold otherwise you'll cook the egg. Also stay away from shampoos with parabens and sulfates.

12. Ladyauthor

Ladyauthor New Member

Just google! You'll find a lot of suggestions. I've found out that there are good and bad hair food. You'll find food that you should eat to make your hair grow and also food like avocado, coconut oil, Papaya, eggs, olive oil and much more that are good for healthy hair and will definitely help your hair grow out.

13. Eniola

Eniola New Member

Vitamin E does wonders. This is, when it's used appropriately. I've been using it for two years, I look younger than my age mates and I have a long and deep black hair. You should try it.

14. samtraxplores

samtraxplores New Member

Do yourself a favor people and get rid of gluten completely from your diet. Dandruff, hair loss / thinning, itchy scalp are some of the hidden symptoms of Gluten intolerance. Removing foods containing wheat like bread, biscuits, pasta, cakes, beer etc. from your diet will improve your hair quality & prevent hair loss.
    It is worth trying and you have nothing to lose.

15. miryanag

miryanag New Member

You can help your hair grow on two levels. First, you should check what you are eating. You should aim foods rich in protein, vitamin E, A and C. Healthy diet is the key to maintaining good looking skin and hair. You can buy and supplements and vitamins, but since I don't trust the pharmaceutical industry I avoid that. Next, you should stop any activity which is damaging for your hair: avoid the heat, avoid washing your hair every day, avoid harsh chemicals. When I was growing my hair I bought sulfate free shampoo. You can use natural oils hair masks. My personal favorite is:
    • 1 tablespoon castor oil
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 tablespoon honey (optional, use for extra moisturization)
    This hair mask is enough for shoulder length hair, if you have longer hair double or triple the quantity.Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair. Cover your hair with a shower cap or you can wrap a cloth around your head, and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Next, wash your hair.

16. Shradha16

Shradha16 New Member

When it come to hair, your genes play an important role too. And so do your hormones and thyroid levels. For natural remedies, you can try the onion juice. Take out the juice from one onion and apply it in the root. Let it stay for an hour and then wash it with mild shampoo. The smell is not something pleasing, so beware of that. It is heard to be one of the most effective remedies for hair growth, though it slow and takes time to show the results.

17. amandasjay

amandasjay Member

To grow hair quickly, you can have a hot oil massage twice a week. But I saw some herbal remedies to grow hair on youtube. You can search it there. But not sure how effective those remedies.

18. Beverly

Beverly Administrator Staff Member

While I know there are some products that can help temporarily puff out hair to make it look more voluminous, the real hair health starts from within - the old adage, garbage in, garbage out - if your diet is mostly fast food, low nutrition foods, then your hair will be dry, lackluster, split a lot, short, etc. Just watch what you put into your body. Stay healthy, eat the best/natural foods your budget can afford and avoid junk/processed foods like the plague. Avoid stress, another factor for thinning hair.

Same thing for applying too many chemicals, just steer clear. Learn to love your own hair color, avoid coloring or perming hair as all that can dry out your hair and cause breakage - which can cause hair to appear shorter/thinner. I used to bleach my hair color out and it was like straw, very brittle all the time. Now I rarely add anything, not even styling products and keep shampoos and conditioners, all natural.

Though I believe that beauty begins within and the secret to voluminous hair is a balanced diet, I am going to try that Aloe Vera gel idea as anything natural appeals to me.

When I was pregnant, my hair had massive length and volume due to the prenatal vitamins. While mine were prescription, you can just as easily find that on the pharmacy or store shelves. The vitamin is a special blend to help moms-to-be and their unborn baby to stay healthy so I assume it's safe for all. Possibly you could try other varieties of vitamin/mineral blends, this is just the one that worked for me.

Goldeng123 likes this.
  19. mcassam

mcassam New Member

May I suggest that you keep your focus on maintaining healthy hair, instead of focusing on length? As the health of your hair improves, you will find that it will be stronger, more resistant to damage/split ends/breakage, and will, in time, maintain its length. Hair, on average, grows between 1/4 and 1/2 inch each month. The key to length is maintaining the health of your ends (the oldest part of your hair). If your ends are currently damaged, your best option is to trim/cut the damage out. You will not be able to repair what is already damaged; so start with fresh, healthy ends. Once you have healthy ends, now you must keep them healthy.

How to you maintain healthy ends? Create and implement a healthy hair regimen to include the following:
    1. Shampoo: If possible, shampoo with a brand that contains no sodium laurel sulfate (SLS), like L'Oreal Everpure. There are other shampoos that don't contain SLS, but you will have to read the ingredients. Shampoos that contain SLS strip your hair of essential oils, leaving it dry and prone to frizz.
    2. Deep Condition: If you don't already do so, incorporate deep conditioning into your routine. Depending on the deep conditioner used, deep conditioning adds additional moisture to your hair if it's dry or adds protein molecules to strengthen the hair shaft if it's weak and prone to breakage.
    3. Leave-in Treatment: If your hair can accept the use of a leave-in, then use one. Leave-ins can boost the health of your hair and keep it from getting damaged during the styling process.
    4. Styling: Limit the use of heat in your hair. If you must use heat, remember to use a heat protectant and only use enough heat to style your hair. Just because your flat iron heats up to 450 degrees, it doesn't mean you should set it there for styling. Additionally, buy a microfiber towel to absorb excess water before you use a blow dryer. Finally, if you can air dry your hair or use a diffuser, please do so because both methods will eliminate/reduce the chance of getting heat damage.
    5. Healthy Diet and Exercise: Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables for their nutritional value. Drink lots of water. Consider taking a Biotin supplement. Healthy hair grows out of our scalp, so take steps to ensure that the hair that grows is at its most healthy state.
    I hope you find these tips helpful as you continue your journey to healthy and long hair. It takes time to grow long hair, but I'm confident that if you incorporate these suggestions that you will yield results. Length retention is the end result of incorporating healthy hair practices into your lifestyle. I'm relieved to hear that you are committed to finding real solutions, instead of chasing empty promises and gimmicks. I wish you much success, health, and growth. Happy growing!

20. Olufemi

Olufemi New Member

For a lucky few, enviably long hair just happens. For the rest of us, it takes patience, efforts, and some very deliberate changes in our hair care routine. If it seems like your hair just is not growing as long or as quickly as you would like, these pro tips will guide you in the right direction.
    1. Get FREQUENT trims
    2. Resist the urge to go blonde
    3. Distribute your hair's natural oil
    4. Keep your scalp healthy
    5. Eating the right foods
    6. Avoid heat styling tools
    7. Skip the daily shampoo
    8. Add important vitamins which support hair health to your A.M routine
    9. Finish your shower with a cool rinse
    10. Be very careful when you brush wet hair
    11. Stop doing trendy cleanses.
    12. Sleep on a silk pillowcase
    13. Pay attention to your skin.

21. zayedshek

zayedshek New Member

Natural treatment by Egg. If your hair breaks before it gets past your shoulders, an egg mask will be your Saviour. Eggs contain lecithin and protein, which strengthen, nourish, and heal your strands. Plus, their high sulfur content might even help your pesky dandruff problem.
    To make the mask, mix two eggs with two tablespoons of olive oil. If the stickiness bothers you, you can add half a cup of water to dilute the mixture. Apply the mask directly to dry, brushed, hair, and leave it on for up to thirty minutes. Then, just shampoo and condition as usual for stronger strands.

22. imonline

imonline New Member

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will ensure that your hair is getting the nutrients that it needs. I would recommend not putting chemicals of any kind on your hair. Usually hair highlights and lighter colors are popular for the warmer months, but I would sacrifice the chemical treatment for the health of my hair. If you absolutely have to bleach or dye your hair, I would recommend deep conditioning your hair more often.

23. Krisha

Krisha New Member

Try to avoid washing your hair daily with shampoo and conditioner. Don't put too much chemicals to your hair and eat foods that are rich in biotin such as avocados and almonds.

24. James Arthur

James Arthur New Member

For males and females it is important to just maintain a healthy diet and look after your hair to allow it to grow quicker and stay strong. For males working out will increase testosterone levels and this will allow hair to grow on the face at a faster rate than normal.

25. My mom experienced that too but what she did to combat any hair loss and help her growing her hair out is she bought this supplement called BIOTIN brand name is Natrol. It's not that expensive and one bottle can last 2 to 3 months. It promotes healthy hair, skin and nails as well.

You can also find natural source of BIOTIN in egg yolk, organ meats like liver & kidney, nuts, soybeans, whole grains, cauliflower, bananas and mushrooms.

What I suggest also is do not use hair conditioner everyday because there's a bad effect in your hair and lastly do not use too many products on your hair, it's not really healthy at all.

26. beautifulmarisa

beautifulmarisa New Member

When your hair grows very quickly, it means that you are healthy. But if it's not, here are the tips: eat a balance diet, drink a lot of water, do some exercise, and eat a lot of food with calcium.

27. Kim Alejo

Kim Alejo New Member

To grow your hair, you should not just focus on the hair itself but also your health. Eating a diet rich in protein and vital vitamins and minerals is an essential prerequisite to healthy hair growth. There are some products that you can apply like castor oil that its very popular nowadays and also coconut oil. You should massage it every night so that it can easily enter on the scalp and avoid being stressed out.

28. NURSElouie84

NURSElouie84 New Member

For the nourishment of my own hair, I heard about the use of olive oil, egg and castor oil. By combining all of the three ingredients together in a small bowl, mix it together using a small spoon probably teaspoon and you will see a yellowish and sticky byproduct of the three ingredients. I will put it to my hair and massaging it at the same time. After that I'm going to wait for 20 to 30 minutes for rinsing. I'm just using a mild shampoo because it can alter the effect of the concoction that made. After that I see great result. Shiny and manageable hair, the other benefits is to make my hair grow faster.

29. Benkings201712

Benkings201712 New Member

Hair Growth Recipe
    An average person loses between 50 and 100 hairs each day, but all of us barely notice this. So, if you want to have a healthier hair and prevent this from happening, this is the right remedy for you! Take a look at the recipe!
    Ingredients:
    ½ a glass of beer
    ½ a banana
    One tablespoon of organic honey
    One egg yolk
    Instructions:
    Just put all of the ingredients in a blender and mix until you get a smooth and consistent mixture.
    How to use this remedy
    Take this mixture and apply it on the affected areas. You should leave it to act for 2-3 hours. The sense of heat on your head will signify that the mixture works well and it is penetrating your skin. After 2-3 hours, wash your hair like you always do.
    Repeat the treatment once in every 7 days until you start noticing improvement in the condition! You’ll be amazed by how it works!
    Hope this helps.

30. Octavia

Octavia New Member

Black Castor Oil and Biotin are the only hair products that I know that grew my hair a and continues to grow my hair. Eating veggies , fruits and drinking water are the key of having healthy growing hair. I have learned in the past that with not eating healthy it not only effects the body but it also effects the hair and cause damage.